PDA

View Full Version : A Beginning

Tim KS
07-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Alright, alright already! Now you've peaked my interest.

I've never had time to dally with 'smithing before, and what I know about it can be expressed in a single word.....nothing. But it sounds a lot better than sitting around on my hands during retirement. I doubt I'd be into making fancy gates or other big projects, but maybe some small simple artsy stuff...maybe.

I do have an anvil that's not in bad shape (in my judgement anyway), and I have some hammers that include the infamous BMFH.

I watched a Utuber make a forge using a old disc brake rotor that appeared to work reasonably well, for cheap.

I guess I just need to know if there are any books out there for beginning smithing that anyone cares to recommend.

allessence
07-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Here are a few I really like.. The Wayger ones a lot of people like but I'm not such a big fan of..

I prefer the earlier books vs the later ones..

The Corsica series of books have lessons which if you follow will give you excellent smithing skills in fast order..

On youtube..

Brian Brazil, Dirtysmith (Rory May), Mark Aspery, TecnecusJoe, Rowan Taylor, Alec Steele, are good ones..

Lot of hacks out there so watching quality will give you an idea of what it looks like to be proficient so you have good goals to work towards..

If you look back at the making nails thread I posted or the making tongs thread these are pretty good..

I'll be posting videos to youtube as well in the future once the trailer is done..

Tim KS
07-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks, Jen, for the link and other info. I'm going to have to do a bunch of reading to try to get a head-start with endeavor. Who knows where this will lead me....... :confused:

allessence
07-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Sorry I had 3 more on the list but they wouldn't upload.. I kept getting "" error 404.. File or directory not found.. and it takes like 1 second per upload time.

I'll try again today.. I've been finding uploads to SFT to be very slow these days..

Didn't work again.. I'll keep trying.

Shade Tree Welder
07-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Jen, Thanks for posting up the book!

AJinNZ
07-04-2016, 10:12 PM
As Jen asked so nice............:D

It is a farriers forge. The bowl was rusted out when I got it so I cut the bottom off a small steel drum as a replacement, greased the hand cranked blower and oiled/freed up the ash dump pivot underneath.

I also added a sacrificial disc of drum steel in the bottom so the coal doesnt sit directly on the new bowl and made a new stainless air grate. So far no issues with anything and it works fine, just a bit small but for most of my farting around it is enough.

I like the hand cranked blower as it dies down a little when I stop turning so I can hammer. I don't need to remember to shut anything off to conserve fuel so it works well.

allessence
07-05-2016, 06:15 AM
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45971&page=7

AJ was kind enough to find the books.. Thanks for finding the books and posting the pics of the forge AJ..

They were on the trailer thread..

Shade Tree Welder
07-05-2016, 09:43 AM
AJ was kind enough to find the books.. Thanks for finding the books and posting the pics of the forge AJ..

They were on the trailer thread..

A more direct link, as individual users can set the number of posts per page,
Jen's link might not take you directly there.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=661496&postcount=62

Thanks for locating it for me.

allessence
07-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks.. I'm still not great at that kind of stuff..