PDA

View Full Version : Jen's Forge?

allessence
07-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Here ya go..

Shade Tree Welder
07-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Nice. Does the clinker breaker interfere much with the air flow?

allessence
07-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Nice. Does the clinker breaker interfere much with the air flow?

None that I can tell.. I have used a Cannedy Otto retangular, a Buffalo round, all with clinker breakers.. This firepot assembly is a Centaur forge unit..

The Buffalo heavy duty 14in has a triangular breaker but also a hole in the middle..

The CO has a round clinker breaker with slots all round the edge with a slot in the middle..

I have never been a big fan of the Champion firepots because of the design with only a grill on the bottom but have never used one so can't justify my opinion..

In my opinion the blower makes the largest difference..

Going from a lack luster model to a top model you can see, hear and feel the difference..

This forge IIRC is 20 years old.. The firepot maybe 22 years old..

It was made from chromium plated (the gold and rainbow colored coating resistant to weather) computer channel.. Stuff used for server setups.. The stuff was super hard, but was all I had on hand at the time..

The bed is made of 3/16" plate. The frame is super light..

The forge hood is made from 16Gauge but is due for a redesign..

Anybody with a forge, please post pictures.. The title can be changed to forge designs or something along those lines..

FYI, I prefer a more traditional style forge based on a brick unit..

Lots of the forges these days are turned the other way so they are wider vs longer..

I like my forges about 3.5 to 4ft wide and about 6ft long.. Plenty of room to store coke and green coal as well as a small anvil on when needed.. Big enough to put a full sized 250+anvil on for reworking but yet easy enough to lean into to get close to the fire when needed..

Of note.. The narrower the forge the higher the sides..

AJinNZ
07-04-2016, 01:11 AM
I looked online at the price of a cast firepot and gave up on that idea pretty fast. Shipping added would make it a lot worse.

I did wonder about making a pattern and having it cast. If that were to be feasible.....what kind of cast was/is used?

allessence
07-04-2016, 07:05 AM
I looked online at the price of a cast firepot and gave up on that idea pretty fast. Shipping added would make it a lot worse.

I did wonder about making a pattern and having it cast. If that were to be feasible.....what kind of cast was/is used?

Way back they used a mix which created a lot of graphite.. Nearly impossible to weld.. I guess it would be the same mix of iron used to make grates for furnaces..

Now it seems they use a decent grade of cast..

Someone on here might be able to tell you the classification of the cast iron but I don't know..

Usually I just show up and ask to have something made.. The Foundry usually has a good idea of what is needed to make the product usable..

If you are going to cast it yourself there is nothing wrong with using better cast iron..

PLease post up pictures of your forge.. :confused:

allessence
07-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Hi, just a bump to all who own forges.. Gas, coal or coke or any others..

Post up pictures with measurements if possible.. ;)

AJinNZ
07-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Thanks Jen

My forge is a little portable farriers forge I got for free and repaired. Doesn't look like much.

One day I would like a brick forge with a cast firepot.....hence the questions. :)

allessence
07-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Thanks Jen

My forge is a little portable farriers forge I got for free and repaired. Doesn't look like much.

One day I would like a brick forge with a cast firepot.....hence the questions. :)

post it anyway.. It's a forge and it works.. I've used an old diesel oil pan for a forge.. It's all good..

But the more people share what they use the better others will have for understanding it's all good.. If it heats metal enough to beat it.. Then excellent.. I'm only an elitist on my own stuff, because I know what I like. But I will also use anything that's there to work with..