PDA

View Full Version : REDCO forge

OleDog
02-14-2013, 10:51 AM
I have a Redco propane forge made by Redco/Reeves Eng., Wichita that needs new mantles. I bought it used several years ago and the firebox mantles were burned up then; they haven't gotten any better. :rolleyes: I should have replaced them when I bought it, but decided to wait. There was a kit available then that had the brick and epoxy to hold the brick in place. Now, Redco/Reeves has gone out of business. :mad: Any ideas where I can get new mantles? I'd imagine that they bought the firebrick, but don't know for sure. The firebox is 7" x 22.5".

OleDog

tnmike
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
There is a company still making that type forge and for the life of me I cannot think of the name. It might be Johnson Controls. I am also pretty sure that one of our members in WY has one of these.

The down side to this type of forge is that they are extremely energy inefficient. They are designed for industrial use and not home shop use where costs are more of a factor. I have used this type if forge pretty extensively and they take a long time to come to temperature and put a lot of heat into the work space.

In my opinion there are far better forges out there for blacksmiths. The round pipe variety with naturally aspirated burners are great and use much less fuel.

meslayemdeer
01-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Reeves/Redco is in business.
It's under new management as Reeves Custom Metals in Wichita, Kansas.
316-263-1066
If no answer leave a messege.
Redco Forge, Pulifter, and Tow-bar parts available.

LW Hiway
01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Reeves/Redco is in business.
SFT's notoriety never ceases to amaze me. New member, 1st post and he helps a fellow member with an issue.

How great is that!!!!

Thanks 'slayem';)

milomilo
01-06-2014, 06:42 PM
There is a company still making that type forge and for the life of me I cannot think of the name. It might be Johnson Controls. I am also pretty sure that one of our members in WY has one of these.

The down side to this type of forge is that they are extremely energy inefficient. They are designed for industrial use and not home shop use where costs are more of a factor. I have used this type if forge pretty extensively and they take a long time to come to temperature and put a lot of heat into the work space.

In my opinion there are far better forges out there for blacksmiths. The round pipe variety with naturally aspirated burners are great and use much less fuel.

I just sold my gas forge, different name, but same design. It did not have mantles. Gonna go with coal. Much cheaper to run, as you say.