PDA

View Full Version : Adapter socket

AJinNZ
08-16-2012, 06:31 AM
I was recently given what I call a breaker bar. ( Tommy bar to others )

It is a 1" drive German Gedore brand. ( see pic ) My previous breaker was a 1/2" drive and I bent that one on a nut that still wouldn't budge.

This thing however would be up to anything I can do to it. What I had hoped for was a 1" drive female to 1/2" male adapter. I couldn't find one on the net and a friend said I would have to go to 3/4 drive and then down to 1/2.

Would be nice to avoid that if possible. So, out of curiosity.....anyone know if such an adapter exists?

terry lingle
08-16-2012, 08:04 AM
I have one around somewhere. I needed it because I had a situation that needed an 1 1/4 12 point socket in a tight clearance pocket. I think it has The Snap on brand and price tag on it:eek:.
I would think that cruising the industrial tool sites should locate one.

I have a set of spline drive sockets that I would like an adaptor for to fit my 1 inch impact best price I hace seen is $400 or I could replace the output on my impact for $600.

monckywrench
08-16-2012, 08:30 AM
You could always grind off the plating on the back side and weld a 3/4" to 1/2" impact adapter to it. No wobble that way.

I weld them to old truck steering arms to make "slugging wrenches" and they hold up fine to sledgehammer blows. (Center the adapter over the large hole in the steering arm so you can hold it on the nut with an extension when striking the arm.)

gimpyrobb
08-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I use a lot of big sockets. I don't think I have ever seen a "drive adapter" go two sizes down(1"-.5"). I would think you'll need two adapters or make your own.

gimpyrobb
08-16-2012, 10:40 AM
So I didn't see a value for half inch, this shows what torque numbers are acceptable for drive sizes.

http://www.imperial-newton.com/socket+select.htm

AJinNZ
08-17-2012, 05:21 AM
You could always grind off the plating on the back side and weld a 3/4" to 1/2" impact adapter to it. No wobble that way.

I weld them to old truck steering arms to make "slugging wrenches" and they hold up fine to sledgehammer blows. (Center the adapter over the large hole in the steering arm so you can hold it on the nut with an extension when striking the arm.)

Those are some pretty good ideas, thanks.

AJinNZ
08-17-2012, 05:25 AM
I have a set of spline drive sockets that I would like an adapter for to fit my 1 inch impact best price I have seen is $400 or I could replace the output on my impact for $600.

Man, the pucker factor with those prices is HUGE.

Snapon stuff here is a stupid price and way way outside what I can or will pay. Maybe if I used stuff hard every day I might.
I mostly have good used older stuff that I have come by over time. I have a particular liking for Australian made Sidchrome..............not the made in Asia stuff produced under the same name now.

AJinNZ
08-17-2012, 05:30 AM
So I didn't see a value for half inch, this shows what torque numbers are acceptable for drive sizes.

I use a lot of big sockets. I don't think I have ever seen a "drive adapter" go two sizes down(1"-.5"). I would think you'll need two adapters or make your own.

Thanks for the link, quite interesting info.

I was sorta hoping to avoid the 2 adapters and keep it compact. The Koken 1" to 3/4 one I saw was $45. Do that again for the next step.........

1" drive sockets dont appear often and even used ones are around the $40 price.
I doubt i could make something that would stand the forces put on it.

monckywrench
08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I doubt i could make something that would stand the forces put on it.

Carry it to a local welder if you don't weld. They can weld the thing in a few minutes using stick or TIG. I do such things with 7018 stick rod.

A welded, non-wobbly adapter is better than a loose adapter. If you can find a used adapter, that's the way to go. Even better if it's rusty to drive the price down. Rust is easy to clean off. :D

Test it by gross overload using a cheater pipe. :devil:

gimpyrobb
08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Is ther a "harbor freight" type store over there? You can get drive adapters pretty cheap from them. I would think it should be easy to mill a 3/4 drive down to 1/2. Thats the easiest, cheapest, and most compact way I see to do what you want.