PDA

View Full Version : Vanadium Steel

milomilo
05-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Upcoming auction has a vanadium steel anvil, no name listed. Never heard of an anvil made from vanadium steel. Common or rare? Any good anvils made from vanadium?

SmokinDodge
05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
I have no idea. But google did.

Most Vanadium consumption (up to 98%) is as ferrovanadium (a mixture of iron and vanadium). Vanadium has been used as a steel additive since the late 1800s when "vanadium steel" was used to armor the hull of battleships making them impenetrable to explosive shells. Only a small amount of Vanadium significantly increases the strength, hardness, and high temperature stability of steel. Its electron deficient structure lends itself well to the formation of more stable nitrides and carbides when added to iron and as such vanadium has been referred to as the "electric metal". Applications of vanadium can be found today in machinery and tools but its greatest demand is in construction and transportation (automotive, aviation and aerospace).

They also used it in the skin of the sr 71. I bet that anvil has a goooood bounce.

My only experience with vanadium is with a set of wrenches my father bought in the late 60's. They said only "chrome vanadium" on them and were housed in a leather roll. To this day, that is the only set of wrenches that I haven't spread the jaws, slipped off or otherwise rounded stuff off with. (that's really saying something for a 50 year old set of wrenches!)

Sent from my iPhone using SFT

SmokinDodge
05-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Here's a link for a page on anvil fire.com that might help.

http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/af_anvils_023.php

Scrapper Greg
05-16-2012, 11:25 PM
The SR-71 used titanium.

alchemist
05-17-2012, 07:30 AM
We finally found out what bed frames are made out of:D

milomilo
05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Here's a link for a page on anvil fire.com that might help.

http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/af_anvils_023.php

Probably not equal to a Hay Budden, but they sound like they are probably a good useful anvil. Think I will give it a hard look and maybe I can get it at the auction for a decent price.