PDA

View Full Version : Newest acquisition 1928 Beaudry Utility Hammer

JWBIRONWORKS
01-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Picked this up today about 30 miles from home. I haven't got it off the trailer yet, that will have to wait till tomorrow. I have to take some measurements but I believe it is a 50# hammer. The serial # indicates it was made in 1928 but not what size it actually is. It appears to be in real good shape. I'll know more once I get it inside and get it hooked up.

John

milomilo
01-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Looks like a beauty to me. Keep us posted on the progress.

mudbug
01-15-2012, 07:28 PM
That indeed looks like a keeper... Especially that close to the shop.. Enjoy the "New" toy.

Brian C.
01-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Great find. It will do fine work for a man with your talents.:D

I wish I had room just for a smallish "Little Giant". hammer.:(

JWBIRONWORKS
01-22-2012, 09:34 PM
We finally got the hammer off the trailer and into the shop. I wired up some temporary power and ran it. It will need some adjustments and then we'll see what else it needs. The first item is to clean it up and give it a fresh coat of blue paint.

tnmike
01-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Clifton Ralph uses one of those hammers in his power hammer tapes. If you have not seen them the Alabama Forge Council has a library with them in it. Its worth joining for a year just to see the tapes. There is about twelve hours of video and it will change the way you look at a power hammer.

Brian C.
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Clifton Ralph uses one of those hammers in his power hammer tapes. If you have not seen them the Alabama Forge Council has a library with them in it. Its worth joining for a year just to see the tapes. There is about twelve hours of video and it will change the way you look at a power hammer.

I saw Clifton and Clay Spencer demo at Quad State a few years ago. Two hammer masters.

tnmike
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Ive never met Clifton, just talked to him on the phone. I know Clay pretty well.

JWBIRONWORKS
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Mike,
I rented the Clifton Ralph DVD set from the ABANA library this morning. The lady said they would try to get them out to me today.

allessence
01-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Nice hammer. What a great find.

How much about it sold for?

I've thought about making one. I owned a 200lbs Fairbanks but got rid of it when I closed shop.

I like the slide thru frame design..

mudbug
01-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Doubtful I'll ever stumble across anything similar down here where they steal tractors for scrap,but I might be able to build one of these as a small substitute for any little thing I might do...

http://www.anvilfire.com/power/nc-jyh_index.htm

just have too many other projects at the moment,but it never hurts to have a direction in case you find pieces to do it...:D

tnmike
01-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Mud those hammers work great but they are more work than they look. I know, Ive made fourteen of them.

mudbug
01-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Can't be more work than a conventional arm & hammer not to mention the joint impact...LOL.

14 of them....You're holding out on us.. Start a thread on them and share some info with the rest of us (if you haven't already)

mudbug
01-24-2012, 07:55 AM
John...Don't know how many others looked around your shop or artwork,but those antlers are great :eek:...they look real. My favorites are the catails on driftwood....refrigeration expansion tubes ? Pretty slick.

I noticed your anvil and it looks like it has a 3/4" thick face added onto the original anvil ? http://www.johnbennettartistblacksmith.com/node/19

Did it come that way or is that an anvil repair ? Just wondered because I have an old anvil I'm going to attempt to 'fix'. I'm still contemplating which direction to go on it...entire new face or resurfacing it by welding build-up.

I saw the restoration of a similar power hammer to yours that got painted this color:( and this color:confused: and this color:D it looked like a carnival ride instead of a tool...LOL

I see it didn't take you long to start stripping yours down to the base metal. Good Luck restoring it.

USMCPOP
01-24-2012, 08:48 AM
That hammer needs a name. How about Beaudreaux?

mudbug
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Well being from Louisiana I could embrace that monicker,but "Thor" is shorter and easier to spell and might fit better...LOL:D

USMCPOP
01-24-2012, 10:28 AM
"Coon ass" has a nice ring. :devil:

JWBIRONWORKS
01-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Mudbug, The anvil is a JHM and it is made that way.
USMC, I'll have to give the name some thought.

Here's the progress report. The ram, linkages, motor, motor mounts and belt and gaurd have been removed and are ready for cleaning. The main frame has the paint stripped off. Next the clutch and flywheel need to be removed. The only thing I've found so far is one of the ram rollers has a flat spot on it.

John

mudbug
01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
You've been awful busy on that baby to get it stripped to that point this quick... I'm sure it'll be a sight to behold when you're done...:)

Thank You for the Anvil info...

JWBIRONWORKS
01-30-2012, 09:53 PM
The hammer has been completely stripped. The top bushing are in real good shape. The clutch would probably last awhile but I'll get it relined while I have it apart. I have to get one ram roller made to replace the one with a flat spot. other than that everything looks to be in good shape.
Shot the main frame with 2 coats of paint. Cleaned the ram gibs and oiled them then reinstalled the ram. I had marked the key prior to removal so I would get it back in the proper place when I reinstalled it.
I'll wait till I have it reassembled before I paint the base.

John

mudbug
01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
John you're making great progress on this baby...;)

Your original post got me thinking and looking and while it's doubtful I'll find an original after researching the various types of hammers I'm taken with the Japanese power hammer designs that are similar to the Champion type hammers rather than the first design of the tire hammer I listed.

There is something about all those moving pieces in your face that just looks questionable though....As many have noted these things need some sort of guards just in case something lets go.

Thanks for sharing your rebuild and sparking interest in these toys...:D

JWBIRONWORKS
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Today's progress. The flywheel is reinstalled. I took the rollers to a machine shop today and got a reasonable quote. The clutch was a whole different story. The only place I could find that would even look at it was very firm on time and material. He would not sell me the material to do it myself. I have a feeling he's gonna treat me like a freshman cheerleader right after the big game....OUCH!

JBFab
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Forgive the ignorance, I can see what this thing does, but what would you use it for? Making Damascus knives? Crushing pop cans? Cracking walnuts?

How fast does it cycle? Once per activation of the clutch, or rapid repeated blows until you let off?

Again forgive the ignorance, I have a healthy respect for blacksmiths and admire their work. I just don't know alot about it.

JWBIRONWORKS
01-31-2012, 09:53 PM
JBFAB,
Think of it as a hand hammer on steriods! It will do what you tell it to do. No more, No less. The difference is it does not tire out, it doesn't need a rest. It will work as long as you are able to work it. But it will not do anything you are not able to make it do.
I like to think of it as an extension of my own hand.

John

mudbug
01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Couldn't find one just like this one,but this will give you a general idea of how a Power Hammer operates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6urkojkxkM&feature=related

(started to show the one being run by a 1200HP blown engine,but it was overkill:devil: )

akabull
02-02-2012, 12:57 AM
DONT GET YOUR FINGER CAUGHT IN THERE! :eek: Doesn't look very forgiving.

mudbug
02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I re-visited the first post John just to remember what you started with :eek: the transformation is truly amazing... Great job.

mudbug
02-18-2012, 10:48 AM
John... I ran across the following info on power hammers and yours in particular..(after you get almost done with it of course) ,but it might be nice to save for any future issues or just to have .... http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/power_hammer_info.htm

USMCPOP
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Here's a hammer forging something large enough to see clearly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ndnUVdawQ