PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an anvil last week

greywynd
12-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Bumped into a former co-worker, and he said he had something at his place I might be interested in.

I ended up bringing this little paperweight home, paid $150 for it, not sure how I did pricewise, but this is really the only anvil I've came across that was even for sale.

The name is "Centaur, Burlington Wisc, Company" then it says "Made in Sweden" with a '56' under that.

I know it's really a farriers anvil, and Centaur Farrier Supplies are still going.

So far it looks like it was made somewhere between the early 60's and 1985 or so, and from what I'm seeing, it looks like it was near the earlier end of that, and should be a cast steel anvil.

mudbug
12-18-2011, 09:36 PM
I know little about anvils...but I know enough to know you stole that baby :D That's ALL you're getting for Christmas this year...LOL...Enjoy the new lump of steel...

allessence
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
These anvils were made by the Kolsaw anvil MFG in sweden. Spelling of the name is wrong Kolshaw something like that. Been long time.

They were made For Centaur forge and is a horse shoer/farrier's anvil. Centaur forge is still in business and they were a direct importer of the Kolsaw anvils up until the Swede's got tougher on emissions and the Kolsaw anvils started showing up with soft faces.

The early ones of the way to go.

150 is a decent price. Congrat's.

milomilo
12-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Bumped into a former co-worker, and he said he had something at his place I might be interested in.

I ended up bringing this little paperweight home, paid $150 for it, not sure how I did pricewise, but this is really the only anvil I've came across that was even for sale.

The name is "Centaur, Burlington Wisc, Company" then it says "Made in Sweden" with a '56' under that.

I know it's really a farriers anvil, and Centaur Farrier Supplies are still going.

So far it looks like it was made somewhere between the early 60's and 1985 or so, and from what I'm seeing, it looks like it was near the earlier end of that, and should be a cast steel anvil.

Are the best anvils forged or cast??

greywynd
12-18-2011, 10:52 PM
So.....since there are a number of you here that know more about these than I do, what's my next step? I'd like to clean it up some, make a base/stand of some sort etc.

Eventually I would like to try some forging etc, for now I just want to have it setup for when I want to bend something etc.

I know historically they always used a big wooden block to mount them on, I'm thinking the denser the better, which in this area would mean either Oak or Maple. I don't have any of either right now, and none in the short term future.

cutter
12-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Hope you have a precision level. :D

terry lingle
12-18-2011, 11:58 PM
And a BFH to whack it with
Nice anvil good price.

Walker
12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Just bolt together a handful of 4x8s or something for a base, or build a sandbox. I have the sandbox and those are adjustable for height, but exceedingly heavy. As far as best? Its all an opinion. Forged anvils are traditionally the favorite, forged anvils with tool steel top plates are even better. A cast steel anvil is a fine anvil. The biggest difference of a farriers anvil is the turning cam on the side, which seems like an advantage to me. They are generally a bit lighter, so they can be carried to the horse. The generally sell for $3 per pound, so yeah, you did steal it.

mudbug
12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
So.....since there are a number of you here that know more about these than I do, what's my next step? I'd like to clean it up some, make a base/stand of some sort etc.

Eventually I would like to try some forging etc, for now I just want to have it setup for when I want to bend something etc.

I know historically they always used a big wooden block to mount them on, I'm thinking the denser the better, which in this area would mean either Oak or Maple. I don't have any of either right now, and none in the short term future.

Now I'm gona go out on a limb here....:devil:

You mean to tell us you don't know someone that's cutting "firewood" this time of year that could whack you a piece of tree of sufficent diameter about the right height to mount the anvil to ?

Mail it to me... I'll find a stick of log for it...:D

Figure out how tall a stand you want and go looking for someone that sells firewood. Get them to cut you a reasonably straight and level piece of most any type wood . The denser the better I suppose,but even a soft wood (out of the weather) will last longer than most of us will be alive. A log leaves an area for your hammer beside the anvil.

I think Blacksmiths buried a log a few feet into the dirt floor of their shops for stability as well as mass.

Someone "gave" my Uncle a sweet little anvil in almost new condition mounted on a pipe & steel truck rim stand and considering it's condition I cringe everytime I see him using it to beat something worthless without concern to the damage he may be inflicting on the face.... If he'd have paid $200 for it he might appreciate it (doubtful though)

You might find this useful info... http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/blacksmith/farmshop.html

I have my Grandfathers old anvil but it looks like it was beat to death and the tail was broken off at least 60 years ago since it looks just like it did when I was a child. I wouldn't take anything for it though and it's just a beat up chunk of steel with a good horn;)

Floptop
12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
That you guys south of the border can buy anvils for is almost criminal, good for you grey.

mudbug
12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
How to mount an anvil on a stick of firewood...... :D

http://www.blksmth.com/Anvi_base_preparation.htm

allessence
12-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Are the best anvils forged or cast??

A forged product is alway better. Just look at any of the forged cranks for auto's, forged eye hooks etc.

The grain structure adds strength.

With that being said a forged steel anvil is best in my mind.
A forged wrought iron with steel plate welded on it next.

Then cast steel and cast iron with steel face some would say are even though I have found the Cast iron ones with Steel faces to have thin faces but because of the rigidity of the cast iron make decent anvils.

The last anvils which are not desireable are cast iron with no face.

some would argue that an anvil like Eagle, or arm and hammer which were cast with steel faces are very good. I like them and they do offer some nice solidness.

I still prefer forged steel anvils like the Hay Budden later ones that were forged cast steel tops with wrought iron feet or the Peddinghaus which are arc welded together at the waist and are drop forgings.

I'd say it really depends on who you talk to.

Some would say the new Magnesie cast anvils are better then the older ones since the face work hardenes over time so instead of sagging like a steel faced wrought iron one they get harder up to a certain point.

Again. my 175lbs Hay Budden was worked on for 12-14 hrs a day for near 10 years with up to a 16lbs sledge and it is still like brand new.

mudbug
12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
You hit like a "girl" if there's no damage :devil:...LOL

If used properly as originally intended there should be little damage...If hammered on with cold steel like my Grandfathers anvil then it starts to look like a mushroom.

Funny I was looking at that anvil the other day and shaking my head at the abuse it must have suffered many years ago before I was even born. I might just have to fix it somehow. I'll post pics of it in it's as used condition so the rest of you can see what real abuse looks like...

tnmike
12-19-2011, 02:31 PM
That you guys south of the border can buy anvils for is almost criminal

A friend of mine just bought an english pattern 250 lb anvil in great shape for $325 dollars. It was a no name but looked just like a Peter Wright. Had good rebound. Good deals are out there.

12 by lumber bolted together with all thread makes a dandy anvil stand and is self leveling.

greywynd
12-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Just realized, I might have an elm log in the one pile waiting to cut up......may have to take a look in the morning.

Everything else I have right now is either too small, or too soft/light.

Jen, how critical is it to place something between the base and the anvil? What would you suggest, leather, rubber, or?

Brian C.
12-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Good deal on the anvil. :)

Wire brush the heavy crud off of it, oil the sides a bit, use as is. You will keep the face clean using it, after the initial clean-up.

I made my anvil stand from pieces of 2X12 lumber, deck screwed together. Then put an extra piece around all sides of the bottom.

A generous bead of good silicone on the bottom edges of the anvil with hold down the ringing.