PDA

View Full Version : Straightening cast steel

Cavalry
10-20-2011, 05:03 AM
I have a PTO driven winch that has a twisted mounting ear on one of the castings. I assume that since it bent and did not break its cast steel. There is not a terrible amount of stress on the part under normal operation. My guess is the damage is winch cable related.
Can the part be heated and bent back? What is ideal temp/color to bend back? Any special precautions like slow cooling?
Am I thinking too much about this? Just heat it to cherry, bend back and let it be?

allessence
10-20-2011, 06:28 AM
cast steel for the most part can be treated as plain steel since for the most part all steel is cast then either forged, rolled or extruded.

The main thing when dealing with cast steel is what else is in there.

a picture is worth a million words so it may give better reference to what you might need.

Is there any reinforcing struts in the casting?

How thick is the piece?

Are there any hair line cracks all ready formed on the outside bend? How sharp is the bend?

Shade Tree Welder
10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
It is likely a forging. Normally I would recommend replacement as
deformation and reforming will most likey weaken the component.
But knowing you Cav you are going to do it anyway, Minimal heat
to bend it back, let is air cool.

threepiece
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
It looks like a Bronco in your picture? If the PTO is mounted to the Dana 20 transfer-case that I think is in that Bronco, then the PTO case is likely to be cast aluminum.

Cavalry
10-23-2011, 07:19 PM
It looks like a Bronco in your picture? If the PTO is mounted to the Dana 20 transfer-case that I think is in that Bronco, then the PTO case is likely to be cast aluminum.

That would be a Koeing King Winch. Yep its an aluminum case...but alas is not the broken winch in question.

This one is a Braden M3. Much beefier than the Koenig:D

Cavalry
10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
It is likely a forging. Normally I would recommend replacement as
deformation and reforming will most likey weaken the component.
But knowing you Cav you are going to do it anyway, Minimal heat
to bend it back, let is air cool.

Winch is far out of production. Replacement parts when available far exceed the value of a complete operational winch. Its worthless to me other than scrap weight in its current state and cost me nothing when I acquired it.

So yeah pretty much I am going to do it anyway;)

Amigo
10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Cav, I would like to suggest that after the initial heating & re-bending back to original shape, that it be allowed to cool down enough to comfortably touch.
Then reheat to dull/dark cherry and allow to cool very slowly, preferably in vermiculite or sand if that is available. This last step will go a long way to remove stress & reduce the tendency to re-distort under stress in the future.

threepiece
10-24-2011, 09:21 AM
That would be a Koeing King Winch. Yep its an aluminum case...but alas is not the broken winch in question.

This one is a Braden M3. Much beefier than the Koenig:D

Yes, I understand. I too was refering to the PTO. I believe the early Bronco used a Dana model 20 T-case. As far as I know, the only PTO available for that is made by Ramsey and the only ones I have seen are aluminum case.

rustythe4x4
10-24-2011, 10:52 AM
I was just looking at a Braden winch this weekend at an auction. PTO drive, but I was thinking a hydraulic motor would do very well on the monster worm drive! :D
Is it possible to cut the old ear off, and fab up a new one, and weld it on?

Nice winch, saw lots of them around here on trucks used by building movers.
Keep us posted on the outcome!

Cavalry
10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes, I understand. I too was refering to the PTO. I believe the early Bronco used a Dana model 20 T-case. As far as I know, the only PTO available for that is made by Ramsey and the only ones I have seen are aluminum case.
Yes the early broncos did use the Dana 20. There were a few options but the factory offering came with a cast iron PTO. Mine did not come with a tag so I am not sure who made it.
The ramsey were pretty neat units as some had a dual output but hung down and were not really attractive for off road use.

Cavalry
10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Pics as requested

H80N
10-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Cav
have you considered doing a grinder spark test to see if it is cast iron or cast steel, or??? here is a site with the basics

http://www.tpub.com/steelworker1/6.htm

am sure there are better sites but this is a start...

allessence
10-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Usually stuff like this are made out of maliable iron. Basically shapes/forms like steel but is a cast product. With some heat it should come back to straight. If the loads applied to it are in the med range then it should be fine.

Most things bent cold should be straightened cold unless the bending back will crack it.