PDA

View Full Version : Treadle Hammer

JWBIRONWORKS
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
D.J. Blanton built this hammer in 1991. He is retiring so I bought it from him yesterday. I rebushed the spring arms, wire brushed & painted it blue(it was green). Then I added the safety chain and arm on top. Finished the day out bolting it to the wall posts . Tomorrow I'll finish bolting it to the floor.
Can't wait to try it out.

John

tattoomike68
10-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Too cool. I can see a electric foot switch a motor and some bearings an adjustable cam and its a power hammer.

Walker
10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Tattoo, they are not really good for power hammer service they fill a different need. A power hammer is used for heavy forging, whereas a treadle hammer is generally used for more precise work. For example, I recently used some 1" square bar which I tapered to a long, blunt point. Power hammer was great for drawing it out. The end had to be flared out to a fish tail, again, great job for a power hammer. I then take an elliptical (almost, it is skinnier at one end than the other) and drive it in in two different spots on the fish tail. This is treadle hammer work, as you can hold the work in tongs with one hand, the punch in the other(handled tools are generally used) and hit with the treadle. It is also great for veining leaves, adding texture o small items. It can also be used for light forging, or used with top and bottom tools as well.

milomilo
10-16-2011, 09:28 PM
What is the weight rating? Does it make multiple hits or can it be controlled to hit one at a time?

akabull
10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I think a video of this in use is in order to help clarify things :D

Walker
10-16-2011, 10:57 PM
here is a decent youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaj1lhkuugk&feature=related

akabull
10-17-2011, 04:58 AM
Ahh, I see....basically it is just a really BFH. :D I can see where the foot pedal, solenoid valve and an air piston would come in handy!

JWBIRONWORKS
10-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Chris,
The hammer weighs 65#.
Walker,
Thanks for the good explanation and the video.
Mike and AKA
I have seen them turned into air hammers but that would defeat my purpose plus I don't think it would take the beating.

I intend to use it for forge welding and repouse work. I have always had trouble with drop tong welds.With this hammer I won't have to drop the tongs and I can control the force of the blow better than with the KA75 or the Big Blu 110. Like Walker said it fills a need where a power hammer or a flypress won't quite do what I want.

John