PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Couple of Kohlswa Anvils

NC Fabricator25
03-15-2010, 08:56 PM
:D Been waiting a while to do this, finally had 1/2 day free to get these two cleaned up. Both of these are Kohlswa brand, cast steel, Swedish anvils. My main anvil is a Hay-Budden 170lb, these were more recent finds.

The first one I acquired from an industrial auction of a textile mill in the area. It was situated near the steel stock, O/A torch, and plasma and the face shows it. I guess it was just the right height to cut stock :mad: One of the most neglectful cases of anvil abuse I've seen - not from overwork or being too small, just carelessness. What a shame! Anyhow, pics 1-3 are arranged from dirty to clean, it had a few layers of paint on it, nothing the wire wheel wouldn't clean off. It weights 190# and is a newer anvil based on the way "Kohlswa" was cast into the side.

The second one is one of my best finds, off CL. Saw an ad for the anvil, "Anvil - $50", no phone number, tiny picture, so I e-mailed the guy w/ my phone number. He called back a couple of hours later, said he'd received dozens of responses but I was the first. I didn't ask any questions about the anvil, figured for $50 I'd take it either which way. Got to the house he leads me around back to the flower bed, and amongst the pansies and mulch was this anvil, buried about 4" deep. A garden ornament and they were moving and didn't want to take it with them. I handtrucked it to my truck then walked it up the ramp and got away before he changed his mind. I was grinning all the way home :D Pics 4 and 5 show the before and after, just a light coat of rust and some algae near the bottom. A really nice 260#, one edge is great, the other is heavily radiused, one of the nicer anvils I've seen and probably the best I own. This is an older anvil with "Kohlswa" stamped in the side. -David

engineman56
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow NC they look nice! Good find on craigs list. Kevin

OLD MAN
03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
LW will be slobbering all over that.:)

Pyro J
03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Nice anvils.:D

I'm not sure if this is a much sought after brand nor do I care, I think you stole that CL one. Theft I say. You SUCK.:D:D

getatorch
03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Very nice finds. Looks good.

Charlie C
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I would love to have an anvil although the railroad track does a well enough job.

Brian C.
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Great find. Those are great anvils.

OldRedFord
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I second the

YOU SUCK

NC Fabricator25
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the comments, and I agree that the 260 pounder off CL was probably the best tool deal I've ever found..............but that was offset by the scarred 190lb that I paid too much for, given it's condition. All in all, probably a wash!

The smaller one with the damage suffered more than you would think in terms of rebound, it's night and day compared to a lively anvil. There must have been a lot of cutting on that face with enough heat over time to soften it up. I've read may threads on performing repairs to the more typical wrought iron body steel face plate anvils, not sure exactly how to treat this one being as it is solid steel. I may try to contact the mfg. and see if they provide any insight. I feel certain there would be a heat treatment involved; if simple I can perform a homebrew type HT, if complicated I would need to farm it out. Of course all this is speculation that I do something to fix the anvil, right now I don't need it for use.

David

USMCPOP
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I think my anvil is a Camel brand. It's big and heavy. But if you put a straightedge from one end to the other, you could crawl through the dip in the center between the humps. Who would have guessed that iron could be so malleable? :(

LW Hiway
03-18-2010, 06:08 AM
LW will be slobbering all over that.Well, gee, but not really.:)

NC, if your happy with that nice hunk of iron at your feet, your a winner in my book. As far as overpaying for something, there's really no such thing anymore considering used anvils.

What I do see is more and more of us buying new rather than waiting and waiting and waiting etc etc etc etc.........for that one really nice anvil.

Congrats on your finds.

tnmike
03-18-2010, 06:30 AM
I third the YOU SUCK on the 50 dollar anvil.

cutter
03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Ok, that was thirded. :)

http://www.cutterod.com/cutter_zone/General/C3suck.gif

NC Fabricator25
03-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Well I have to say it is indeed an honor to receive such an award!

I'd like to dedicate it to all of the scroungers, backyard fabricators, and do-it-yourselfers that have long been my inspiration. :D

-David