Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Equipment, Suppliers and OEM's

SFT Search:   

Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Millermatic 35

I have been admiring you guys projects for about a year so I thought the knowledge was probably here to maybe help me

My problem is with my welder ,I grew up with a millermatic 35 an loved it so much I went out an bought one for myself ,what a mistake The new to me welder worked fine the first few months till my angle wire drive motor took the brass teeth off the main gear,so I loaded it up an took to a miller dealer that told me your SOL on finding a drive motor . They said miller obsolete things after 10 years? But we have a welder mechanic that can maybe fix it So I talked to the fellow ,very sharp about welders,his plan was to retro fit a motor off a 200 I think ,it was a direct drive type. It does work but the wire speed just seems to fast for my heat,seems to not lay the bead out it wants to draw up it a point instead of flowing out like its just not hot enough. Also on my 35 as you up your heat (by changing plugs) it increases your wire speed, I think that was the way from the factory. I made sure all the connections are good an tight and have cleaned all my plugs. Any help appreciated
Old 01-08-2007, 01:29 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
It does work but the wire speed just seems to fast for my heat,
Are you saying? if you set the wire speed to the lowest setting that's to fast ?

Quote:
seems to not lay the bead out it wants to draw up it a point instead of flowing out like its just not hot enough.
Straight Argon will do that. Use C25 Gas.
What Gas are you using ?
How old is your gas?

Check your polarity.
If your using flex wire you may need to change the polarity.

Quote:
Also on my 35 as you up your heat (by changing plugs) it increases your wire speed, I think that was the way from the factory.
Yep.
They tap the power from the heat-changing-plugs to power wire feeder.
About a 2 volts difference from each plug.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
The Butcher

Send a message via AIM to Shade Tree Welder

Bump, and cutter you missed this one....

"Live Free or Die" -- the official motto of New Hampshire

A Liberal lives life fearing the evil a man might do. A Conservative lives life celebrating the good a man does. -- JonM@FTF

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States.
Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution.
-- Unknown

When The People fear their government, there is Tyranny.
When The Government fears The People, there is Liberty.
-- Thomas Jefferson

An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject.
-- Unknown

To those who have fought for it, freedom has a
flavor the protected will never know.
-- Scrawled on a bunker outside Khe Sahn, RVN
Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ
Are you saying? if you set the wire speed to the lowest setting that's to fast ?

Straight Argon will do that. Use C25 Gas.
What Gas are you using ?
How old is your gas?

Check your polarity.
If your using flex wire you may need to change the polarity.

Yep.
They tap the power from the heat-changing-plugs to power wire feeder.
About a 2 volts difference from each plug.

GWIZ, Yes I have to run the wire speed al the way down to even be able to run a bead !
I was running c25 but switched back to co2 because it welded like crap with either gas .

I wonder if I could resist the voltage gong to my wire speed adjuster?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
Bump, and cutter you missed this one....
No, I didn't; I was waiting.
Sometimes Midmo will do it for me.

Wolf, my friend - please read this:

Quote:
We try to maintain a little custom around here of posting our locations in our user profiles; that way it appears in every post or reply that you make. If you look at the upper right hand corner of this window you will see that I am located in Lubbock,Texas. We have found this to be especially helpful because so many of our threads wind up in discussions of where to find parts, materials or some activity where local conditions are a factor. You will probably be surprised how often this is true here. Besides that, we're just naturally nosy & like to know where everyone's coming from. Posting it one time in a reply is not the same as doing it automatically in every reply.

If you would please, look in the upper left area of this page at the blue banner with white lettering, click on "User CP" to open your control panel; click "edit profile"and scroll down to the location line & fill it in. City & state / province is sufficient. Then be sure to scroll on down to the bottom of the page & click "save changes" & you're done. We will appreciate it.

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

I was wondering about slowing the motor input myself. I wonder if one of those control switches, like the ones they use to slow down routers would work...of something of similar design. The 35's were optimized to run on Co2, so it should be better on Co2 than C-25. I would be curious to see how this turns out.

FWIW, I did see a wire drive for a MM35 on Epay a few days ago. They do turn up from time to time.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA52
I was wondering about slowing the motor input myself. I wonder if one of those control switches, like the ones they use to slow down routers would work...of something of similar design. The 35's were optimized to run on Co2, so it should be better on Co2 than C-25. I would be curious to see how this turns out.

FWIW, I did see a wire drive for a MM35 on Epay a few days ago. They do turn up from time to time.
Talked to the fellow who did the change over ,he thinks a 50 watt 4 ohm resister needs to be put on the circut. Wonder why he didn't do this in the first place
Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Blast this!

Sorry cutter. Midmo has only been cruising lately. Unbelieveable for last week of Dec and 1st 2 of Jan.Maybe we are going to make a living off this thing yet.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter1256
GWIZ, Yes I have to run the wire speed al the way down to even be able to run a bead !

I wonder if I could resist the voltage gong to my wire speed adjuster?
WS= Wire speed.
The proper way, would be to check the RPM of the motor then convert it to Ipm.
The manual off the net shows wire speed adjustable from 60 to 486 Ipm.

Whenever you modify something and don't have all the numbers/specifications it becomes trial and error.

The first thing that adding a resistor does, it Limits the current/amps to the motor.
Yes adding a resistor will lower the speed, But it also lowers the torque because your also lowering current.

The question I cant answer is, if you get the speed down will there be enough torque to feed the wire consistently or at a stable feed speed.

50 watt 4 ohm resistor should be cheap enough to try. that value is just a Guess.
50 watt 4 ohm resistor about $5.00 New.
He can try an old Rheostat to find out what value resistor to get.

Going by the manual on the net.
I suspect that your going to have problems with the Rheostat that controls the wire speed not from adding the resistor but because the motor has a different current to torque range.

If I'm looking at the right control its rated at 50 watts 1.5 ohms.
1.5 ohms may have to be increased to give you a better WS span/range.

He can try the resistor. then check the wire speed span/range and wire torque.

Rheostat 50 watt 16 ohms is about $35 new.

*** He should have a box of old Rheostats from junk welders, that will allow him to figure out the values of the resistance before he needs to purchase Any-anything.

check it out before you pick up the welder. Every setting up HI.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM

GWIZ ,I thinking I should have had you do the swap Well today he told me to wrap the input to the rheostat around the transformer ,worked well if I was looking to speed it up it amplified the voltage to speed up . So now were (I"am) looking for a rheostat to put ahead of the original one .

I got some welding that is stopping the show so I experimented all day long trying to get it to just weld decent. 1st thing was the wire wrapping that didn't work .2nd I took a 35watt light bulb off a old tractor in line to the rheostat and it worked ,but now its too slow.

Thinking about just loading it up and making the 100 mile trip and say FIX IT RIGHT THIS TIME . I paid over $350 to wire this welder drive motor up which I thought was high but it was supposedly fixed ,should have know better. Kinda wishing I would have tossed it in the ditch