Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Equipment, Suppliers and OEM's

SFT Search:   

Old 09-15-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Power Mig Astro Power 110

While visiting with my brother tonight he showed me a welder he recently aquired. It is a Power Mig Astro Power 110. He never tried it out before he decided to take it home. We opened the cover on it to see if it had leads that could be switched to run it on both mig and flux core but from what I saw I beleive it is mig only. A big problem I saw with it was what ever was supposed to be there to tension the spool was evidently not all there as the spool had wire everywhere around it. I was wondering if anyone out there had one of these welders? If so could you possibly take a picture of what ever is supposed to be there to set the tension on the spool.

Thought if I had a picture or a place in mind where to order parts for it that maybe might be able to make it work. It looks like the spool of wire has been on it forever and had rusted badly. I am sure it is going to need to be replaced.

Thanks ahead for any information.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Astro powermig 110 or 130 model

The spool itself is tensioned by a hand nut and spring combination. If yours is missing I see no reason you couldn't replace it with a nut that fits, couple fender washers and a spring. About the same difference. Take care
Ken

A place in Waukeegan, Illinois that carries astro mig parts. the phone #1-847-662-8763 ask for Ray.

Last edited by Hobweld; 09-15-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 PM

There is not threads there for any type of a nut to go on. Only thing that is on the outside of the spool is a center plastic piece that fits into the center of the spool a spring a real light duty washer and a plastic waher that looks more like a plastic grommet. The shaft that the spool rides on is split on the end so that something has to slide over it and snap into place but I don't think the plastic grommet looking thing was an original part of the tentioner.

I might contact the number you gave me to see if i can find anything out on it.

Thanks,

Gerald
Old 09-16-2004, 07:29 AM

Gnewby
Could you perhaps snap a picture of your setup? I will try to do the same here. Take care
Ken
Old 09-16-2004, 08:07 PM

I probably won't be able to for a day or two as I have a crisis going on right now, also the welder is not here at my house but at my brothers if I get a chance I might try to bring it home so I can fool with it.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:54 PM

Ok I tried to get a picture for you tonight but my camera was giving me fits. Will try again tomorrow. Take care.
Ken
Old 09-18-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Astromig wire tension setup

gnewby
Sorry this is late, finally got some time to go grab a couple shots. Hope this helps you out. Here are the parts in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	astromig1.jpg
Views:	2227
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1164  
Old 09-18-2004, 07:40 PM

And here are the individual parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	astroparts2.jpg
Views:	1403
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1165  
Old 09-18-2004, 10:55 PM

Hobweld can you breifly describe the outside washer or whatever it is? What is on his machine was the the black disk that set inside the center of the spool, then the spring, next he has a very thin looking washer that is warped looking. On the outside it looks like they found a plastic grommet and put it on but it does not give it and resistance to the spool.

It looks like the large black bushing and the spring are both correct for his machine, It appears that they probably lost the outer washer and placed the grommet on the welder to try and make due.

Thanks a lot for the pictures. It has been pretty hectic around here the past day or so as our mom passed away yesterday morning. I probably won't get back to looking at his welder for a few days yet.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:31 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss. You have my sympathy. Losing a mother is always hard.

I attached a new photo with a brief description. Good luck. Take care
Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	astroparts2.jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1166