Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Da Chief

Default birth of a franzinator

I had a little spare time today so I dug all the parts out from under the bench/under the truck seat/out of the car hualer etc. and made up a franzinator for the little compressor in the shop. It's 43 inches long instead of 37, (the rule of availible material prevails, LOL) and the street EL welded into the pipe is 3/8 ths not 1/4, (but with a thd., cap drilled to 1/4 inch, on the inside male end) with another street EL to make the tube run easier. (vertical)
I just had to know how hot all that stuff was, (yep, it raised a blister) so I broke out the IR temp probe. At the compressor outlet: 185 F, below the air inlet elbow on the dryer: 256 F, at the dryer outlet (top) 154 F, at the holding tank inlet: 143 F. The readings were taken just after cutout, starting from an empty tank.
The air is very dry, now that I blew all the residual water out of my hoses, I still don't have the installed piping system done, so I have a snake pit of hoses and cords on the shop floor,and hose reels clamped to a couple of benches. I try to start each day with a clean floor, swept at least, but by noon it's worse than a cudzu patch,( and, no the electrical sub panals ain't done either, damnit ) I'm gonna run some mineral spirits and fresh oil thru all the air tools tonight, prolly get 2 pounds of crap out of 'em 'cause I've been using them alot lately, even tho they looked like sprinkler heads, LOLA.
Gonna try to get the finish coat of PAINT on the plywood blast cabinet tonight, the new gloves and pickup tube are supposed to arrive monday, I've got about a weeks worth of manifolds, heads, oil pans, valve covers and assorted brackets de greased and ready to blast, most of the tin is going to the local powder coater, but he wants them CLEAN or the price gets high quick. RED ( P.S. now you know why the dryer got built today)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new shop 2 011 (Medium).jpg
Views:	28091
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	14059  

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 PM

what diameter is that pipe?
what are the lines made of? looks like aluminum
does the unloader drain that whole thing when the compressor cuts off?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Da Chief

Yep, it' 2 inch galvi, yes aluminum 1/2 inch, Yes the whole compressor side drains, dryer and all, scared the bejusus out of me the first time it did, I thought I had a line leak. RED
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black magic 472 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1538
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	34235  

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?

Last edited by RED caddy; 07-17-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: trying to add a pic
Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Pardon my ignorance... what's it do?

It looks good from here if it's any consolation.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby
Pardon my ignorance... what's it do?

It looks good from here if it's any consolation.
It's a blow-hard de-water-er. Hence the name.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 PM

So let me get this right. All the air out of the compressor pump goes into the pipe in the middle then out the top so all the moisture will fall into the bottom of the pipe and not the compressor.

So how well does it work if used for a couple of hours?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Blast this!

Default Franzinator

I built 2 of the 37" ones last week.Put both on a soda blast pot due to clumping of expensive media.Pot would run about 1.5 hours per fill,1st one would get about 3 inches in it 2nd one about 1 " in 1.5 hours.Temp was 85-95 dew point of 66 deg.Rest of job went well without anymore throwed away soda. THanks Franz .
Old 07-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody82zxt
So let me get this right. All the air out of the compressor pump goes into the pipe in the middle then out the top so all the moisture will fall into the bottom of the pipe and not the compressor.

So how well does it work if used for a couple of hours?

when compressed air flows from a small container (hose or line) to a large container (atmosphere or tank) it gives up its moisture easily, by forming droplets.
This is just a method for getting the moisture out of the air withouth filters or dessicants.
it will work fine untill it starts filling too much. this depends on temperature and humidity of air. It takes quite awhile... I have one at work. i empty it once a week. compressor is 15HP and runs 2-3 hours/day
Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Cracker

Nicely done, Red.

Here's the one I built last year. As long as I remember to empty it every day ,it's cured the headaches I was having with my blasting pot.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up

I have a piece of 4 inch sch.40 pipe about 6 foot long just laying around I was going to build a ranch hand style rear bumper for my truck but it is a little too short
So I think I will build a Franzinator Maximus bigger is better