Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-21-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Barrel Train Car (Kids Amusment ride)

I am posting for the first time but have been lurking for over a year or so. It is one of my primary resources for information when I need to find some info or direction on welding and fabrication.

I now have a question for everybody. I am building a "Barrel Train" for a local non-profit that does a lot of work with kids. If you have never seen one it is a "train" that is made out of 55 gal. drums that are used as the "cars". The barrels are mounted on a "T" frame that rides on 10"x 3" wheels. The square tube, that will have bolts welded to the end for the axel, will be approx. 1'8" (not including the bolt extending from the ends). This "car will have to be able to hold at most 250#'s (a parent and a child or two). The under frame that also acts as a tongue will be approx 4 ½’. Here is my question…What size square tubing should I use (1”, 1 1/2”, etc) and what gauge or thickness of tubing? I tend to overbuild everything I do but, they want to transport this thing (16 of these “cars’ and 1 engine “lawn tractor)and want it light but durable so I am look at a good balance. Thanks for the help!

Here is a JPG of the plans (http://corgenixonline.com/misc/pics/BarrelCar.jpg)
Old 07-21-2005, 11:26 AM

1.5x.125 wall square tube would be plenty for a frame. The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that the barrel is only supported with one member right in the middle. It seems to me that the barrel itself would be the weak link. Why not put two barrel supports that would cradle the bottom of the barrel. BTW, welcom to our playroom!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:40 AM

It is not on the drawing but there will be two 1.25 square tubing supports. One on each side just inboard from the wheels that go up to the barrel and then the barrel is bolted to them along with four bolts going through the barrel bottom to the underneath frame. The 9/16" bolts will have a fender washer on the barrel side for added support and to help prevent tear through. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Curmudgeon

Jumpin,

Welcome to SFT.
I deleted your duplicate post for you. Now you have only the problem of the illustration appearing waaay too wide on screen. Can you resize it to about 1000 pixels max so it not run off the east side of the monitor? (And compress the heck out of the filesize.) That makes your first post pretty difficult for a lot of us to read.

housekeeping

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:07 PM

Thanks for deleting my duplicate post. Hope the pic is better now. Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Curmudgeon

Jumping,

I suppose I must have overstated my case or something, and I apologize.
It appears that I caused you to re-do the picture a bit small & it lost some detail. All I really meant was to point out that it ran nearly 50% off my 17 inch monitor & the filesize seemed pretty big for dialup users to load.

Something like this would probably display just fine.

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:17 PM

Here is a picture of one onf the "cars" The pictures are small...I copied them from ebay. Any suggestions on blowing them up? I tried resizing them but the quality is very poor.
Attached Images

Last edited by Royal fe; 07-22-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:18 PM

Another shot!
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2005, 12:18 PM

In a line...
Attached Images

Last edited by Royal fe; 07-22-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:26 PM

How they are pulled. I found these on e-bay for $200. @ $20 per you can't buy the tires for that. I have the email of the guy that was selling them from TX if you are interested. They didn't go at the auction, I don't need 10 cars and it's a pretty good drive from here.

I think 1" tube is plenty strong. Most of the weight is on the cross tube. I was planning on putting my cross tube under the long hitch part. That way the barrel would be supported over the length and can be bolted in a couple of places. Some flat bar from the cross tube to the barrel at the wheels will keep it from "rolling" off the hitch tube and breaking the plastic at the bolts.
Attached Images