Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 AM

I have a 2" mill with the TPG inserts. I cringe hearing those on my 50 year old Index Milling Machine. It did nice work on some 4140, but I've been gun shy around running them with the noise they produce. 2" wide, nice part is power feed, so run at a slow speed.... do some lathe work, let the mill run.

Just looked the price of those Walter inserts. Ouch! I do remember someone made up a lathe tool holder to use the "other corners" to maximize their mileage on the tooling.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM
That HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogwitch View Post
I have found that two sets of indexable tooling to be of great help.
John
Thanks John
Both of those links are for the triangular insert tooling and I was trying not to use them.

I do however use a fly cutter with triangular insert lathe tooling that has work quite well in many applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
If you (rmack898) need to be conservative on tooling inventory and don't see the need for a 45º lead angle face mill in favor of larger and smaller 90º shoulder mills that use a single insert, consider this:

Use solid carbide end mills up to at least 5/8". At the 3/4" mark, a shoulder mill should have two or (better) three 10mm or 12mm ADMT or APKT style inserts. You would then find larger 2" to 3" cutters which use the same insert.
Ken, thanks for weighing in.

I was looking to be conservative on tooling and that's why I was looking at a 90* face mill, to use the same insert as an end mill. If an insert end mill doesn't make sense until 3/4" dia, than as you suggest, I may as well be better off with solid carbide end mills in smaller diameters. Once I get above 3/4" I am in face mill territory and a 45* lead would be better and since I wouldn't be trying to use a common insert with smaller end mills, the need for a 90* face mill is a non issue.

Could you recommend a good insert for a 45* face mill and a good all around diameter to start with? I'm thinking that 3" diameter might be pushing the limits for a BP.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 AM
That HURT!

I just saw this
http://www.travers.com/ccmt-corner-e...erSearch=block id 95106 and class level3 id 298220

A 100* face mill that uses CCMT inserts. About 75% of my lathe tooling is CCMT so this would give me the common insert advantage I'm looking for.

Opinions please.

Last edited by rmack898; 02-17-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 PM

I'm not a fan of milling cutters which use turning inserts. Each type insert is developed for completely different purpose; Milling is essentially a very heavily interrupted cut, turning is generally continuous cutting. Chipbreakers on each do completely different things too.

It might work, but only if you've been buying a very tough grade of turning insert meant for roughing and interrupted cuts. Most milling inserts have even higher levels of the cobalt binder content than that type turning insert.

If interested, I have a couple of cutters, and only need one. They are Walter F2280.UB.064.Z04.04, a 2-1/2" nominal (2.106 actual face width) cutter that takes four octagonal screw-down ODMT/ODHT 0605ZZN type inserts. I'd sell it for a LOT less than the nearly $400 they once sold for. Neither is used for more than a couple of cuts. One has inserts for steel, one has inserts for cast irons. I can't say for certain if other makes of insert will fit, but nearly all make octagonal inserts and if they are ODxT 0605, it's just a matter of being sure the hole is the same size.

My cutters look a LOT like this 3-insert version, just a touch bigger and with 4 inserts. $75
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024-r.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	113461  
Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundrocktom View Post
Just looked the price of those Walter inserts. Ouch! I do remember someone made up a lathe tool holder to use the "other corners" to maximize their mileage on the tooling.
For the cutter I just posted, eight edges per insert, and quality tools that last. There's a pack of 10 on eBay right now for their best steel grade with a Buy It Now price of $70 and free shipping. That's 80 edges (20 loads) at less than a buck an edge.

Good tools don't cost, they pay.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Boiler God

I have a couple of sets of the indexable end mills that use the CCMT 21.51 inserts, the results have been somewhat spotty, inserts don't stay sharp very long, they can chatter very badly (not a real insert friendly environment).

I have a set that uses the TPG/TPU inserts, I was never happy with the results, noisy and rough surfaces, now relegated to the back of the drawer.

I have one set that uses the APKT inserts (10 mm size, while much better, than the CCMT inserts, still isn't as smooth a regular carbide end mill. The 1" one with 4 inserts, is the only one that seems to work a smooth as a regular carbide end mill, to me this is where they become a viable piece. The cost become closer to the end mill, making it a reasonable choice.