Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
The Real Deal

Default Grinder hangers

I have a bad habit of taking the guards off of any new or used grinders I get, so I ended up with quite a few of them laying around so I gathered them all up and threw them into the scrap bucket and was hauling it out back when I thought they might make good hangers. So I took a cutting wheel and cut the clamps off and flattened them in the press and drilled two holes and they were done. I put the rest of them back in the drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0405.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	100861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0396.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	100862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0395.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	100863  

Last edited by digr; 01-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Nutbuster

Digr, I like that idea. Thats the best use I have seen for those things. I'm with ya on having to remove them to get the grinder in to use it. Altho I am for having the guards on but there are limits. Some things have to be done and this is one of them.

Kevin

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM
That HURT!

That's a great idea Digr.

I just pitched a bunch of guards last time I cleaned the shop, I'll have to see if there are any kicking around the shop at work.

The only time I've ever seen a guard on a 4-1/2" grinder is when you take a new one out of the box
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Boiler God

last year I was on a job, where OSHA fined the general contractor $150,000, plus $1000 per guard-less grinder, found on the jobsite (for a total of about $200,000). They had to scrap all of the grinders, buy new ones, before they could resume work. According to the fitters, they still get rechecked about twice a month. I had about 35 stitches, to just about reattach part of my left index finger, I haven't used a grinder without a guard since.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Gadget Girl

My Dad taught me to remove the shields.. After coming on here I have put them all back on..

I have gotten wacked by 2 disks that came apart and decided I am scarred up enough for one life. I have over 50 scars just on one hand.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Drivin' Fool

I have reinstalled all the guards on my grinders also. I have had more than one occasion when a bare disk took a bite out of the gloves I was wearing, and finally figured it was time to stop taking chances.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Captain Obvious

Great use for the guards !

Ive had countless grinder mishaps over the years (carelessness on my behalf), most of my grinders are missing the guards, and I dont know what happened them (moved too many times). Im at the point, I wear welding gloves when grinding to keep my injuries to a minimum. Ive found that regular old leather gloves dont have enough meat in them, you need a thicker glove.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 AM
Director of Languages

It's something I can never understand watching american shows where grinders are used. They never have the guards on.

The only time I dont have a guard on a grinder is my 4.5 which often has a small cup wheel attached, and the guard is just pointless there as it's too far from the anger.

I know I'm only an amateur/part timer, but I could count on (one of the 5) fingers on one hand the times where the guard was really a problem.

I rotate them on a regular basis but would never want to have a cutting disc spinning without one.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I have a bad habit of taking the guards off of any new or used grinders I get...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
The only time I've ever seen a guard on a 4-1/2" grinder is when you take a new one out of the box
I was once using a wire wheel on a grinder with the guard removed.

The wind/vacuum from the wire wheel sucked my tee shirt into the works.

It got ugly, and COULD have gotten a whole lot UGLIER.

Ever seen what happens when a grinding wheel comes apart at speed? You'd be in third gear before your feet touched the ground, beating cheeks for the nearest bomb shelter.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM

I leave all my gaurds on my grinders. I know too many people that have one less finger, or too many scars to chance it. If you need to get in somewhere tight, trim off some of the gaurd so it only covers about 25% of the disk.

Ill have to post a pic of my grinder holder. My buddy made it up from some sheet with his CNC plasma table.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.