Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Equipment, Suppliers and OEM's

SFT Search:   

Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to teufel Send a message via MSN to teufel
Default hossfeld bender

I'm about to purchase a new bender and convert it to hydro. I was set to purchase a used jd2, but came across this setup today.

Is it worth $1500

hosfeld size 2 Manual bender includes 1", 1.5", 1.75" and 2" dies, plus the bender and extensions.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

Check out American benders deal. http://americanbender.com/_wsn/page4.html
Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by teufel
.Is it worth $1500
Teufel, I doubt it...sounds like you are looking at the basic bender and maybe a set of pipe dies. Should be able to buy that set-up for less brand new. Also sounds as if you may not even be getting a full set that comes with the basic bender. Check out Lo-Buck or Low-Buck Tools as they have a good price on the Hossfeld equipment. Also, unless they've changed, they will send you out all the promotional literature on the Hossfeld short of the owner's manual free. The owner's manual used to run $10 extra...not sure of the present price.

As Tackit mentioned, check out the American Bender product. Very similar...the dies from the Hossfeld "usually" work on the American Bender frame. American Bender doesn't manufacture as full a line as Hossfeld, but neither does anyone else I know of. American Bender is priced considerably cheaper for what is more or less the same bender. By "usually", take that to mean every basic die...Hossfeld makes some very specialized dies, a punch and a shear that work with the #2 frame that may or may not work on the American Bender's frame.

Now, do you need either? If you are looking to do just tubing and some other minor bending operations, there are a number of cheaper benders. The Hossfeld and American benders will give you more versatility, but at a steep price. The quality is there on the other benders, but they won't be as able to do as many different operations. If you don't need those operations...go cheap.

Last edited by Wyoming; 06-02-2005 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to teufel Send a message via MSN to teufel

i don't need the fancy functions, i need one to bend tube for cages/tube frames and round bar/ flat stock occasionally. the hossfeld dies were tube dies. I think i'll stick with the JD2, and I can get a full 90 in one stroke. Cheaper than the american bender which looks nice and takes a repin to do a 90.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Wyoming

As much as I like my Hossfeld, I'd say that you are making the right informed choice as to which bender works best for you. Glad to hear that a lower priced bender will do all you want to do.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 PM

But the JD2 doesn't do flats or rounds, only tube/pipe. Called them and they seemed to think it was a non issue, buy a HF bender if you want to.

I only found two vendors that did tube and flat and that was Shopoutfitters and Hossfield. I still haven't decided what to do, but I'm getting a HF bender while I think about it. The SO bender maxed out at 3/4 schedule 40. Hossfield #2 is more then I want to spend, but I bet I will end up with one.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by pturner
Hossfield #2 is more then I want to spend, but I bet I will end up with one.
pturner, If you like the Hossfeld, but not the price, check out American bender's line. American makes a near clone to the Hossfeld for less. Gut feeling is that Hossfeld's patent has expired. Dies work back and forth between the two makes. Watch yourself, any way you work it, benders are expensive.