Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Smile GoTorch Plasma Down Draft table build

Would really like any input to help in this build.

Picture 1 Gotorch/Plasmacam, web site here.

I found some cool stuff to start with below.

Material:
Millers's Fume Extractor.
CFM 132 cfm
sound - 68 db
Pro - use in closed room.
Pro - quiet
Con - Cost $1,500

Northern Blower, here.
CFM 1,575 cfm
sound - 65 db
Pro - $99
Pro - quiet
Con - need outside wall

Build Videos:
1) DIY Downdraft Table part 1, here.
2) DIY Downdraft Table part 2, here.
3) DIY Downdraft Table part 3, here.
4) DIY Downdraft Table part 4, here.

Build to follow. GoTorch/PlasmaCam on door step in two days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gotorch.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	95361  

Last edited by Vern2; 09-10-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Yeah, I'd stay away from the first blower. That's just a crazy price and you're not going to be pulling any flammables through it really. Then consider that a bathroom exhaust fan pulls about 120cfm and can be picked up on the cheap at Home Depot and doesn't even clear out a good stink...

I wouldn't be afraid of using the Northern one, but you need to include a good filter in the line before it gets to the blower. That style fan doesn't like sucking stuff through it very well.

From what I recall, you were getting a 2x2 table. With our vent systems for plastic tables, we use a general rule of thumb at 100cfm for every square foot of surface area we want vented and it does really well. At 4sq', you're looking at least for something that'll pull 400cfm. It may not apply as well with downdraft and may need more CFM--all our systems are overhead enclosures. We use fans similar to the one here. It has 665cfm.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I never saw a downdraft table up close before.

Had some parts burned out this summer with one.

20 h.p. I believe was the size of the blower (course it went to
a donaldson filter house).

Even so, they did keep some scrap sheets around the part
to be cut, to keep the air flowing down, and out.

I think a nice larger furnace blower (older model with belt driven motor)
would work o.k.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Boiler God

Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Smile

dubby,

Maybe I'm finally leaning how to put together a well organized post and getting my head on straight.

Don't understand plastic. It's a GoTorch/PlasmaCam CNC table, here.

Read the reviews on this blower, great reviews, here. I think I over matched the blower up with a small plasma table, cool.

Pre-filter - Thank you, great idea! I will have to look for very small cheap "paper" 1" by 8" square filters I can replace by removing one and sliding another in it's place.

Sure, I'm building a small, table 2x2. Think about this, find a part made on a larger table that wont fit on a 2x2. Okay, production is the deference, not the part your cutting.

platypus20,

Your a guy with a ton of information, enjoy.

digger doug,

I'm trying hard not to over engineer it, keeping it simple.

Last edited by Vern2; 09-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Cranky Crustacean

A HVAC blower out of an old furnace should serve your use as well and ought to be very cheap. I would suggest a metal filter similar to these in front of the blower/suction fan assembly http://www.metalfiltersinc.com/metal...FQqR7QodoCkAVA

Not suggesting that particular company just posting them for examples.

I'd go looking for a used restaurant hood fan and filter if you have access to such. Sometimes they can be had for cheap & they are designed for continuous duty and heat and can be roof or wall mounted.

That's a very slick cart for cutting and I really like the extension handle fixture on it. Not too crazy about the extractor assembly on the side---looks like a made to order hip bruiser and pocket catcher. Not so much while in use ,but when just setting around the shop.

Thanks for the videos on it's construction....

Last edited by mudbug; 09-10-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Error 404 Not Found

That is the result of clicking on the gotorch website when you select "software & controls"
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Vern, from them thats doin'.....
Northern blower is a possible deal if the blades are not plastic The smoke will contain small magnetic particles, they are going to be burning in the free oxygen. At night you will see them go flying outside the shop wall. Some fire awareness is needed if you are blowing it into some bush.
I use a 1 hp vanaxial fan at 3650 rpm. It draws about 3/4 hp, pushes 4000cfm and unless I cover some of the un-used grate area, I will still get some smoke in the room. Plasma smoke is the consistency of diesel soot and just as sticky. Not good for human consumption at all.
You need an open door/window when running a fan to let in replacement air.

I would go for as much cfm per dollar you can spend, it is your health after all. And if you expand the table you don't have to do this all again.

The pictures posted show the plasmacam DHC1 torch holder and Z actuator.

If you are going to build the 2x2 table, the northern fan will be good if it has aluminum blades.
I expect they will use the same plasmacam grate, it is a starter, but a pain for tip ups, and when you get cutting I can send you a file of the grate I built which is like the commercial units and there are no tip ups to worry about then.

Edit. You don't need to mount the fan on an outside wall, mount it to the skirt of the table. You can mount it with wing nuts for quick detach. However...If you do it like that make sure the discharge pipe has no leaks, it will blow soot everywhere out of a small hole.

Strange as it may sound, an effective ruler must equip his or her subjects to obey. It’s a fundamental factor in rulership. And that’s the true purpose of the social contract. “Social justice,” is primarily a ruse for penalizing individuals without any finding of fact as to their individual guilt. And if you question the deal, you’re a bad person.
Paul Rosenberg

Sent from my rotary dial phone using SFT .

Last edited by Ironman; 09-10-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Smile

CNC zone, and Plasma spider members are looking for infomation about GoTorch. So I sort-of linked my two threads back to Shop Floor Talk. Where info is gathering.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Question Mostly Conjecture..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
CNC zone, and Plasma spider members are looking for infomation about GoTorch. So I sort-of linked my two threads back to Shop Floor Talk. Where info is gathering.
Vern

Don't you think that you should at least get delivery of your machine before you declare these threads an info point??
at present we are dealing with advertising and good wishes...

Seems a might premature doesn't it..... and how come those sites have no first hand info??.... CNC zone, and Plasma spider both keep abreast of what is going on... getting curiouser and curiouser??

are you the first customer??

are you an agent for gotorch?? you seem to be pushing it pretty hard?? considering you have never even seen one firsthand??

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)