Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop Forum

SFT Search:   

Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Default Zoom Spout All Purpose Turbine Oil

A couple of years ago I had to have the fan motor on the outside unit of my heat pump replaced. It had lasted about 8 years I suppose. A couple of days ago my outside unit started squealing like someone had run over a pig.

I figured a bearing was going out. It finally quit squealing and it continued to cool, but I called a HVAC tech anyway. He came out yesterday and replaced the motor for me. He showed me on the old motor where the oiling ports were.

I have never oiled the fan motor on any unit I have ever owned, so that is probably why the two year old motor started to fail. So I have been trying to research what to use to oil it. A friend said he used Marvel Mystery oil. Google results vary from WD40 to light 3n1 oil. Some say 30 weight non detergent .

I found one result that mentioned "Zoom Spout All Purpose Turbine Oil" so I Googled that. I find that a 4 oz bottle can cost anywhere from $1.50 to over $20.00 http://www.amazon.com/Beamec-Zoom-Sp.../dp/B007IL3I6W

Has anyone used this? Is this what I should use? Is there a reason the cost varies so much. Is the $20.00 better than the $1.50 stuff?

Also, how often should I oil the unit? Thanks in advance for any input.
Bruce
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Blast this!

On my Hardy outside furnace I had been using a light oil on the blower and only getting a year out of them. I called the manufacturer and got a return call that night from the owner. He said use a 30 wt nondetergent . It has been 3 years so far on this one. That is about 90 cord of wood.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Captain Obvious

Dont know anything about Zoom, but I dont think WD40 makes for a lube, except a "momentary" lube for something, but not a bearing lube of any kind.

Id use any high quality dino oil, for a motor bearing, closer to grease, probably the better, you want it to stay put. I would have to see the motor "lube" ports as to what I would put in it. The heavier the better is my take on it. Style of bearing would also dictate whether to put a light oil in it, or something much heavier, all the way to grease.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM

I have been in the HVAC business since 1971. The Zoom Spout turbine oil is all I have ever used. I have oiled many motors during those years. The 4oz bottle should not cost over a few dollars. The one in your link for $10 is way out of line. Most motors anymore can't be oiled but for the ones that can, six to eight drops per season is fine. Overoiling is no help at all except to make a mess, attract dirt and restrict air flow over the windings if it is an open motor. Do not use WD-40. It is not meant for that. It may stop a squeal but will be short lived.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Another thought.......just because a motor does not have oil ports does not mean it can not be oiled. Furnace blower motors, ac condenser fan motors, etc generally have pressed on metal caps that cover the wicking material that holds the oil. On the shaft side, pry the cap off and saturate the wicking. On the non shaft side, take a small sharp punch or awl and pop an off center hole in the cap about 1/8 " dia and oil. Oiling the shaft and expecting it to reach the wicking doesn't work well because of the fiber washers under the metal cap on the motor shaft that act as slingers for moisture and don't let oil to get directly to the wicking. Hope this helps.
Nick
Old 06-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Thanks all. I think I'll order the Zoom Spout oil (cheap one).

I appreciate all the input.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Curmudgeon

Bruce, I've also used them for years, especially on those danged old evap coolers. I think of the oil as being about like "machine oil" or 3in1 oil, approximately the same as 10wt oil.

I've probably got a dozen or more empties here & there that I refill with various fluids for other purposes as the need occurs to me.
They will also hold gasoline without decomposing, useful for priming stubborn engines.
They're good for way oil too and they're not bad about leaking.

I can buy a full bottle of oil for just about the same price as I can buy an empty (cheapo) pump dispenser and it has a much wider range of useful applications.

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

I have used Zoom for years for oil cups on some of our older binding equipment (basically same application as yours). Great stuff and I really love the bottle, it has a tube that pulls out of the spout that adds ~6" making it almost effortless to get to those hard to reach spots. I have repurposed several of those bottles over the years.

Found on fortune cookie: To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing...sounds boring to me

"If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' right" Dad circa 1980

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Hobart Stickmate LX
Hobart Handler 135
Miller Thunderbolt 225
Parweld AWP-17 Tig torch & powerblock
Harris style O/A
5hp 18cfm air comp.
Cut 50 Plasma
Jet-16 Mill/Drill
Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 AM
SFT Historian

"3 in One" also has a motor oil SAE 20, I picked up some at Lowes.
Haven't put it to any real test so I cant say how well it does.

http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Just a note,
The newer sewing machines have plastic gears and using the wrong oil or grease will melt them, I found out the hard way (I know better but sometimes you just say what the heck).
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Elite Member

I used to use ZOOM products when I was doing coin op laundry equipment. It works wonders on dryer drum bearings.

Try an appliance repair shop, or appliance parts store - they may carry it locally, save you the shipping, and be cheaper to boot.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.