Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Equipment, Suppliers and OEM's

SFT Search:   

Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Standard of Excellence

Default How to creat a load bank?

I have decided to keep my big diesel generator and run it up to my cabin in the spring. One problem is that it is a 15Kw generator and I just can't come up with tat kind of demand for it. So I want to come up with a load bank that I can run on it from time to time to keep the diesel engine happy. Aside from a stack of microwave ovens and hairdryers, how can I come up with a goodly amount of kilowatts to make a load bank? Oh, and cheaply, as always
Old 10-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Voice of Experience

Three electric range cooktops should do it. They suck up about 5KW each at full burner. Take the burners and controls out, put them all in a suitable housing and hook them in series parallel. Don't forget to install a large fan..

Start turning burners on and check draw with an amp probe.. Poor(cheap) mans portable load bank..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Iffn you do this in the winter the heat could be welcome.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Auction Addict

Why make a load bank to run it on occasionally? The generator will do fine with a small load as well as a maximum load. I run mine every spring and fall for 15 minutes to keep the engine lubed up and I just use a portable fan. It doesn't take much to keep the generator operational and a small load will make the engine push a little.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them. Ernest Hemingway
Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Something's Fishy ...

You want 10 -12 KW load on it after it has warmed enough to see the temp gauge move up until the temperature has stabilized.
This load will keep the rings properly seated and bring the generator core up to temperature to keep it dry.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I use oven elements for a load bank and wire them through a load center.
In your case you could use spare slots in the cabin panel and as stated run them for heat. you could also use 240 volt baseboard heaters to distribute the heat around the cabin
Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Standard of Excellence

It is my understanding that with a diesel engine you don't want it to run unloaded all the time due to a problem called wet stacking. This is a build up of carbon in the cylinders and if not burned off by loading up the engine can cause operational issues.
This is the Wiki page on it. "Wet stacking is a condition in diesel engines in which not all the fuel is burned and passes on into the exhaust side of the turbocharger and on into the exhaust system. The word "stacking" comes from the term "stack" for exhaust pipe or chimney stack. The oily exhaust pipe is therefore a "wet stack".

In diesel generators, it is usually because the diesel engine is running at only a small percentage of its capacity.

It is detectable when there is a black ooze around exhaust pipe connections and around the turbocharger. Continuous black exhaust from the stack when under a constant load is also an indication that all the fuel is not being burned.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
It is my understanding that with a diesel engine you don't want it to run unloaded all the time due to a problem called wet stacking. This is a build up of carbon in the cylinders and if not burned off by loading up the engine can cause operational issues.
This is the Wiki page on it. "Wet stacking is a condition in diesel engines in which not all the fuel is burned and passes on into the exhaust side of the turbocharger and on into the exhaust system. The word "stacking" comes from the term "stack" for exhaust pipe or chimney stack. The oily exhaust pipe is therefore a "wet stack".

In diesel generators, it is usually because the diesel engine is running at only a small percentage of its capacity.

It is detectable when there is a black ooze around exhaust pipe connections and around the turbocharger. Continuous black exhaust from the stack when under a constant load is also an indication that all the fuel is not being burned.
My generator is gas. I wasn't aware of this condition on diesel generators.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them. Ernest Hemingway
Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Part of my last post vanished into the aether
You want 10 -12 kw load for proper ring seating. This prevents wet stacking.
the procedure is to start the unit and run until the temp gauge starts to come up then put on the load bank and run at least 1/2 hour to get the engine temperature stabilized. This load run will also warm the generator and drive out any moisture in it.

I use oven elements or baseboard heaters through the load center for fixed applications like this. to add load just switch on a breaker to an element outside the cabin if you do not want the heat or a baseboard inside if you do want the heat
Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

50A range, turn it all on high. Oven to broil.