Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Metallurgy and Materials

SFT Search:   

Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Question Painting Bare Metal

I bought a KMG belt grinder. It comes as a bare metal. I was going to clear coat it, but then considering I may paint it to match the stand I am building. Mainly want to keep it from rusting.

Is there anything special I should do in etching, priming, painting this? It is not going to a show, and I don't really need to spend $500 on special etching and painting products, I hope. Just simply want it to not rust and look professional.

If anyone has some experience with what may be best, I would appreciate the "do this", as well as the "don't do that" input.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM

TxDoc,

I've always had good luck with Rustoleum enamel over bare metal (rusty metal primer if it was rusty), but I'm not real fussy. Good luck with the KMG, I've been planning (and planning, and planning.....) to build a grinder, just can't decide on a design. I'm envious.

Mick
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Bare metal really should be primed first. Clean it real well with a rag soaked in mineral spirits before you prime. Since it won't be sitting outside in the sun, you can get away with rattle can paint.

I have never been pleased with any can of Rustoleum I have ever used, and avoid Krylon...it sprays like crap and runs really easily.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 AM

NAPA sells a self etching primer in spray cans, as I am sure other suppliers do as well. This is probably the easiest way to do a professional job.

~Alden
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM

I prefer acetone rather than mineral spirits for cleaning before priming - MS seems to leave an oily residue.

In most cases I prefer to prime with a rattle can for 2 coats (30 minutes apart) and follow with one or more finish coats a few hours after priming.
OWB - 10 cords per year
Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
I bought a KMG belt grinder. It comes as a bare metal. I was going to clear coat it, but then considering I may paint it to match the stand I am building. Mainly want to keep it from rusting.

Is there anything special I should do in etching, priming, painting this? It is not going to a show, and I don't really need to spend $500 on special etching and painting products, I hope. Just simply want it to not rust and look professional.

If anyone has some experience with what may be best, I would appreciate the "do this", as well as the "don't do that" input.
Thanks
You can use a rust inhibitor called OSPHO not sure the correct spelling with out looking at the jug
But it will stop and keep it from rusting just brush it on and let dry and then prime it then paint it
Would not hurt to treat the stand either even though it says works best on metal with some rust on it, it will help protect new metal form rusting as well
Gone Blue & Tooled Out!
Welding
Auto Body
ATI tooling
Just too much to list!
Protected By!
K-9 Security Animal & Backed by The Big Bad Wolf
Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Organic Composter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
You can use a rust inhibitor called OSPHO not sure the correct spelling with out looking at the jug
But it will stop and keep it from rusting just brush it on and let dry and then prime it then paint it
Would not hurt to treat the stand either even though it says works best on metal with some rust on it, it will help protect new metal form rusting as well
+1 on the OSPHO. I have used it on several projects, especially ones that see a lot of time outdoors and it has done wonderful jobs of protecting the metal. Have even used it on the metal roof of my water well shed before applying the finish paint coat, with it holding up for many, many years.

A FEW OF MY TOYS

SolydX
LinuxMint
Makulu
Crunchbang
Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

Never tried OSPHO. I usually use laquer thinner with good results. The main thing is to get the contaninants off the surface to be painted. Always prime forst. It gives the paint somthing to stick to. Just use quality paints and they should last you a long time.

Last edited by Scrapper Greg; 09-15-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
Never tried OSPHO. I usually use laquer thinner with good results. The main thing is to get the contaninants off the surface to be painted. Always prime forst. It gives the paint somthing to stick to. Just use quality paints and they should last you a long time.

Scrapper Greg......If you have the opertunity to
give OSPHO a try you wont be more surprised other than how well it works to kill rust and prevent rust not to mention how well the primer and paint will adheres to the objects you are painting With longer lasting results in rust prevention. Dollar for Dollar the OSPHO has for me been a more solid rust prevention. Where rust prevention is vital, Although there are a couple of other rust inhibiters on the market that are just as good if not better but a bit pricier than the OSPHO and a gallon goes a long way.
Gone Blue & Tooled Out!
Welding
Auto Body
ATI tooling
Just too much to list!
Protected By!
K-9 Security Animal & Backed by The Big Bad Wolf

Last edited by MetalWolf; 09-16-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiley View Post
I prefer acetone rather than mineral spirits for cleaning before priming - MS seems to leave an oily residue.

In most cases I prefer to prime with a rattle can for 2 coats (30 minutes apart) and follow with one or more finish coats a few hours after priming.
I agree