Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Pallet Fork Build.. ''Quick Attach And 3PH Attach''.

I found a set on Craigslist... The type of Forklift these came off of is the ''stand up type''!..They are 42'' forks.. 4'' wide.. The rail has 10 notches in it, and they lock great with the latch!.. Also has a guard on the frame!

Another thing on the fork frame is a hydraulic cylinder... I took that off, Because I have no need for it on there!

Now, The ''whole frame'' will sit in ''between'' the loader arms! LOL

On the top, It's 5'' from the fork frame to the outside of the ''shoe-plate pin''.

On the bottom, It's 7-1/2'' to the outside of the plate... 6-1/2'' to the ''center'' of the hole.

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM

I needed to make a set of ''hooks'' for the top, and a set of ''pins'' for the bottom in order to make them ''Quick Attach''.... I could have bought the hooks and pins from JD, But decided to make my own!

I was trying to figure out what to use to make the hooks, and I found a piece of 3'' pipe in my scrap pile, and thought it would be great to use because of the ''rounded'' part!

I cut the pipe down the middle, and then made another cut to take out a part so I could bend it easier!... It was too short to make the bend in my pipe bender, So I put it in a vise and used a 5FT. piece of pipe to straighten it out!

Then I put the ''curved part'' under the forks, and took a sledgehammer to make it flat.

The small pieces of 3/8'' metal was cut to weld on top of the hooks for support like on the JD hooks.

After I welded the hooks on.. Then I used a large wrench to bend them more so the pins would fit better!

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stick/MIG~ View Post
Another thing on the fork frame is a hydraulic cylinder... I took that off, Because I have no need for it on there!
Augh !

Don't take that off, that's the "sideshift option".

Even if you have to string a long hose from the back of the
tractor's quick coupler's, that enable you to slide the forks
sideways about 8".

Save's allot of backing up and getting another run for a pallet,
(that you just missed getting the fork into)
especially when adapted to a tractor, that doesn't manuver
quite as good as a forklift.

It's very handy to be able to wiggle the forks like that.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 AM

Top part finished.

The only metal I had to buy was 3'' X 1/2'' 20FT. flat-bar.

The top hooks turned out great!!

The frame on these forks was narrow, and I really don't like how I had to extend the flat-bar over past the forks!... But that's the best I could do without doing more work!

I first thought about cutting the ends of the guard off, and adding more metal to extend the guard, and then add some metal so I could cut more notches so the forks would be as wide as the loader arms.

I welded the flat-bar under the channel, and that gave the flat-bar great support because the channel is 1/2'' thick!

Last edited by ~Stick/MIG~; 08-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 AM

I just put the bottom rail in to give the forks support to see what it looked like.

This picture shows that the forks are NOT ''parallel to the ground''!

I curled the forks back, and that's as far as it would go!... It's hard to tell in the picture, But the tips of the forks are only 2'' off the ground!

So I had to bump the bottom out 3'' so I would have more curl when hauling pipe, logs etc.. etc.. on the forks!, and it keeps the forks from digging in the ground when picking up a pallet.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Made Pins, And Cut The 3''X 3'' Tubing To Have 3'' Angle on the forks.

On the pins... I found a piece of 1-1/4'' ''hardened steel'' that I got when I worked in the coalmines.... It was tough to drill a 7/16'' hole in the pins!.. I had to use ''cutting oil'' and ''slow my drill-press down''!... I had to use the Drill Doctor to sharpen the bit several times!... The Drill Doc' sure is handy, and saves a lot of money!

I drilled out a 1-1/4'' hole in the ''flat-bar'', and allowed about a 1/4'' on the backside of the flat-bar so I could fill in the hole with weld.

After I welded the pins in the plates... Then I clamped the plates to the ''shoe plate'' and marked where I needed to drill the 7/16'' holes.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Bottom finished.... Pictures before paint.

I curled the forks back with a (rotten) pallet and a pipe to see what the angle would be, and looks like the 3''X3'' tubing will work out fine!

It's very easy/quick to switch from my bucket to the forks, and the forks are easy to line up to, and connect!... I really like the ''Quick Attach''!

I also added 2 hooks... One on each side.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM

I had to wait several days before I could paint because of cold weather.

I sprayed primer on a Friday, and painted them on a Saturday... Then on Sunday I scraped the paint off when using them!!... I painted the ''tips'' yellow to make it easier to see when picking up a pallet!

The total cost I have in the forks ''including fuel'' to go pick them up is: $390.56.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Fixing them so they would work on the 3PH.

On Thursday it was raining, and I was cleaning the forks up to get ready to paint, and I thought I would add something else to the forks!... But before I could test it to see if my ''Quick Hitch'' would work.. I had to go out in the rain to take off my Backhoe.

I put my QH on, and backed up to the fork frame... All I had to add was 3 brackets with pins so the QH would work.. But for the ''top hook''.. I had to weld the bracket to the ''guard'', Or build another frame.. So I decided to just weld to the guard, Because if I wanted to use them on the rear, Then I would have to hook up the extra frame!

It took about 3 hours to measure everything up, and 1-1/2 hours to weld it all, and it turned out great!!

I like the forks on the rear!.. Very easy to back under a pallet, and quick to hook up to the QH without leaving the seat!... Will be handy when moving the pallets of wood around in the bottom after I get a pallet loaded, and need to move it away from the wood-splitter!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

theres nothing more handy than a forklift,looking good!