Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Equipment, Suppliers and OEM's

SFT Search:   

Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Anchor Pots

Any advice on laying out some anchor pots in a concrete floor? I am going to have a floor poured in the south part of my shop and would like to put some floor anchors in. I am not planning on putting in a whole frame mangler layout, just a half dozen or so to use as anchor points to jack against.

I am sure that some of you have anchor points in your shop floors and was wondering how you had them laid out, how you use them and what would you change.

Thanks,

Don
Old 03-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Mr. Pompous Ass

Send a message via AIM to Shade Tree Welder

Damn good question! I have no idea but it would be good knowlegde if I ever get to pouring the floor for my building.

Big Rig, et al......?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Blankee Master

Thanks for reminding me, I need to call the guy to install my pots.

For my application, I would need approx 29 floor pots to basically cover the floor under and around a truck. A set to run parallel with the truck frame rails and then a set at the front of the truck outwared 4 feet to allow me to pull on front end components, and a set at the rear as well for tie down.

I know some shops, have them everywhere, as once you start pulling on equipment you will find that you need them everywhere.

I get a pot installed with the pot for 55.00 CDN, he drills a hole and inserts the pot, takes about 20 minutes per pot. Maybe you could start off with a dozen or so and see how it goes, you could always call the guy back to install more later.

To find a guy that installs after the concrete is poured, talk to any bodyshop that does frame pulling, they should know of someone.

Make sure your using the proper chains. Clamps, are expensive for the proper ones, but lifesavers. I can pull to 20000 pounds, and don't like breaking chains and clamps, as they fly fast.

Digest this info, and post a little more info on the type of equipment and work your doing and maybe I can fine tune it a bit better for you.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:21 PM
North West Redneck

Hi Don. When I had my shop built I did not put in any anchor points, but years ago before we poured the floor in my dad’s shop I did. What I did was build 6 boxes. Something like 6” x 6” x6”. I just used plate. I welded 3/8” x 3/8” key stock ¼” down on the inside of each box, to form a ring, and then cut out a ¼” thick plate for a lid, for each box. Also welded a bottom in the boxes. I welded a pad eye to the bottom plate, I bought used shackles and threaded them in the pad eyes, then welded the bottom plate to the boxes, this was my way of never being able to steal the shackles for something else, LOL. They would always be in the box! I welded “J” hooks to the boxes, on all four sides. Built forms and poured the boxes level to the surface of the slab. At each end of my dad’s shop I poured a 12” x 48” x 3/4” plate level to the floor, also welded “J” hooks to the bottom of these plates. These plates came in very handy, for welding things down to them. My idea was to pour these items into the slab. I have no idea what type off load they can take. Maybe one of our engineer type will jump in, and tell us!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

Don, don't forget to put railroad rails in the floor, so tracks don't eat the concrete. they also come in handy for fabbing things from if you get the rails level.
I've got a box full of pots that you just drill a 3" hole and drop in. They wedge themselves into place when you pull on them.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:11 PM

just put this in the floor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flooranchor.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	3210  
Dynasty 200DX
O/A setup
New mig on the way
Dan's Page
Old 03-29-2005, 06:42 PM
North West Redneck

Hi DF5152. That’s what the anchor boxes look like that I built for my dad’s shop! What are the four nuts for? Open up one of those puppies, lets see the inside!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:30 PM

the plate is actually recessed(sp) into floor about 4 inches. the plate is 9x9x 7/8 with 4 3/4 bolts welded on the bottom side. the bolts stick out about 3 inches the concept is... I have made several other plates that slide over the top each one will have a tube welded to it one will have my hand bender on another has a vice. I am making a plate that will cover it when not in use the nuts hold the other plates on and are left there or i'll loose them. the bolts were drilled in the side of the plate so if i had a piece that was a little shorter than 9x9 I could just drill 2 holes and it would fit in. The plate in the floor has a 1 inch tube welded to the bottom with some rebar attached so it wont pull out. I was originally gonna make the whole about 18 inches deep but after digging about 12 inches of concrete and not hitting any dirt i gave up. you know old say "it as hard as a rock".
Dynasty 200DX
O/A setup
New mig on the way
Dan's Page
Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Big Rig Guy,

The stuff I plan on pulling on would be some automotive type stuff and antique tractor restoration related stuff. As well as any other bent up peice of farm equipment I can get through the door. My concrete guy quoted 6 pots installed. I am thinking about putting 10 in if I can come up with a layout. There is apparenty a "standard" layout for frame machines that covers a 14' x 24' area but I haven't found a place on the net that has a diagram. I may call the instructor at the local community callege and see if he may have some info on this. I don't know that I have that much room to spare or that much money it was a whole mess of pots.

Franz,

It would have to be a real small crawler like a JD 450C max to get it in the shop. I toured the plant where Cat makes their tracked machines (crawlers, piplayers, etc) and their assembly line floor had strategically laid out rails in it to facilitate turning the crawlers in the later stages of assembley where they went from station to station under their own power. A lot of their floor oak beams set on end.

I only have 10' sidewalls (not my choice, came with the place) so no lift either. I have a friend that has 12' sidewalls and a two post lift and I wouldn't get any shorter and put one in. Pickups get right up to the ceiling and ladder racks have to come off if you want to go up all the way.

I found some of those pots online for about $20 ea. They also had plates to go around them if you pored them in place for about $4.

Don