Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Culvert and Scoop. Gotta start somewhere.

Saturday I drug a few of the tanks sitting behind the shop and decided it was time to start one of two projects. Actually, I guess I started both at the same time and will most probably have both going at the same time.

It took awhile to get comfortable doing this much cutting, finding as much rust in my hands and arms as I found on the tank.

But at least I've made a dent in the two projects.

The plan is to take the shorter piece, slice it, and press it out to make a pan for the scoop. The last time I did something like this I had access to a roller and basically rolled the ring flat. This time I'll have to be a tad more resourceful.

It was a pure joy to make smoke and spark again. It's been too long between the larger projects.

Pic 1 is having everything laid out(enough to work) and cutting the pieces as needed. With as much rust on the tank, you'll notice I opted to use a straight edge. It helps with both kinds of rust. That which is found on the material and that which was found in me.

Pics 2-4 are just the pieces apart.

It was nice to not have to beat slag to bust the sections apart. Once the remaining skips were cut, it all just fell apart. I smiled at that simple ability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	45971   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	45972   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	45973   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	45974  

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Oh geez, Clay Aiken thinks I'm being insensitive for my unwillingness to remove this sig line...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Lord of the Minions

After a day of running to and fro for Doc's appt's, cooking supper, doing dishes and cleaning the room to the state it was in when I got to the farm last week, I did find time to make at least 2 more cuts on the scoop pan makins'. The pics are of how it sat all day, waiting for me to have time to light the torch. I finally made the cut at 9:30 tonight, let the pieces cool, closed the shop, loaded my clothes, briefcase, hat, said my goodbyes and left for Lake Chuck.

With all this house work I'm doing, cooking, cleaning, ironing and puttering in the yard, one day I'm afraid I'll make myself a good wife for myself yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20090519_93.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	46054   Click image for larger version

Name:	20090519_94.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	46055  

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Oh geez, Clay Aiken thinks I'm being insensitive for my unwillingness to remove this sig line...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

I think you need to find a friend with a cleaning fetish and help them out. Looks to me like it is time for you to back off a bit, maybe resurvey. I will admit sometimes I would rather do it myself but it sure is nice to not even have to worry about it being done. However, the cost is high. Kind of like a router. They should give everyone a router and make a truckload of money on bits. Such is the cost of a wife. Sure beats a dog on a cold night though.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:33 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I think you need to find a friend with a cleaning fetish and help them out. Looks to me like it is time for you to back off a bit, maybe resurvey. I will admit sometimes I would rather do it myself but it sure is nice to not even have to worry about it being done.
No one is willing to do house work/cleaning anymore. Heck, you'd think a $100 cash a week, for about 4 hrs a day would trip someones trigger. Hell no, not these PM"s. Those that were found, would either do one hell of a job for about 2 weeks and then start nickel and diming the folks out of money for this, a $10 sob story for that, to the point that I'd have enough.

Having to hide valuables in your own house, keeping track of what's in the freezer, pantry, hell, one even stole printing paper off the shelf, with me watching her do it while I was sitting on the other side of the den window on the patio and denied it. Shit, I guess every house cleaner shows up to work with their own un-opened pack of printing paper.

The best was the idiot that put 20 lbs of frozen sausage in her purse, leaving it sitting on the kitchen counter just before she left for the day. I was sitting drinking coffee when she came back in the kitchen to leave and I asked her why her purse had frost on it.

She walked home, unpaid for the week and with no sausage. She said she'd call the cops, so I dialed the Sheriffs dept to file a complaint as she turned on her heel and left. La. has pretty good laws on the books for/to protect Seniors.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

I had heard that could be a serious problem. When I was in Galveston, they had bonded services that were pretty much on the up and up. Their bosses would fire them if caught and make it impossible to get another job. There were nearly always two of them and they did not work together every day. Also the company owners were famous for going one day early and planting wireless cameras to see how the work was going and for your protection. It kept them on their toes.
It is a shame that no one wants to be honest and do an honest days work. Actually, the pay is pretty good. I knew a girl who put herself through college doing it. Because of the variable hours she was able to go to class and work also. But then I knew another girl who went to college and was a stripper at night.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

we have been using house keepers for years,they come for 4 hours every 2 weeks and wash windows,mop the floor and just do all the shit Carol does not want to do,or have time for,for that matter.
One women about 40 was real good,but whined all the time about how her boy friend wanted her to quit blaa,blaaa,blaa.
we helped her boy friend out,we let her go.
the next one cleaned like a wild women,she was fast,did a good job,never said much.
but she did help herself to any money laying around,change in the washroom and i have a basket i toss all my change in,it would get lighter everytime she came.
she would get maybe 5 bucks extra per week that way,we told her we didnt need her anymore,that we had decided to keep our spare change.
the girl we use now is good,i've know her all her life,her parents are friends of mine,her hubby has a garden,she brings us fresh veggies and i've taught her how to cook lots of things.
shes easy on the eyes too.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
I knew a girl who put herself through college doing it. Because of the variable hours she was able to go to class and work also. But then I knew another girl who went to college and was a stripper at night.
Forget the housemaid, OM introduce me to the stripper

DrBob
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
there has to be an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
But then I knew another girl who went to college and was a stripper at night.
How did you meet this girl? I don't remember you talking about hitting the books for midterms.:evil:
Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Lord of the Minions

Boy, it really doesn't take much reading to tell who is and who isn't married, and leashed.

I'm hoping to have time early Friday to pick up a piece of 1"X6"X27" long f/bar to make a wedge for the top movable section of the press.

I'd really like to get the pan and sides done Sat and have some semblance of framing and hanging figured for best fit and use on the little SA's.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Boy, it really doesn't take much reading to tell who is and who isn't married, and leashed.
Yeah you're so right! But even though I've been with whom Martin Luther called 'Meine Kette' (My chain) for 44 years this August, I can still use my imagination :evil:

Just so long as that's all I do.

DrBob