Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Equipment, Suppliers and OEM's

SFT Search:   

Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Default Lincoln Wire-Matic 255-- What's it worth?

Have a chance to pickup a very clean Wire-Matic 255...just looked at it today and found out it comes with the stock mig gun --and-- a spool gun,which I didn't know when I went to check it out.

I know it's an older unit,but it's very clean(the shop it's in is spic-n-span) They just bought a new welder and this has been moved to the corner. This isn't a welding shop...It's a generator shop and this was used to fabricate metal frames to mount generators on/in and to do repairs. So it wasn't rode hard and put up wet....light fabrication in a shop so clean you could have a picnic on the shop floor.

Any operational surprises I should be aware of with a Wire-Matic and any thoughts about a fair price with the spool gun included in the deal?

Thanks for any insight--Dave

The one I'm looking at looks way better than this unit on Craigslist-- http://detroit.craigslist.org/bfs/1081557492.html

The spool gun is nicer and it has the stock mig gun too.

Last edited by mudbug; 03-21-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:19 AM

I have one of those. Its the balls. It has plenty of power and a smooth bead.

The spool gun will run aluminum or carbon steel.

Nice set up.

I did what they did. Bought an inverter power supply and put the wirematic 250 in the corner, but won't sell it because it ran so nice and made me a lot of money.

For value, I have no idea. I paid $1200 for mine in '93. It still had one year left on the warrenty, but like all lincoln I have had, warranty was not needed

Nice machine....

David
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM
The Butcher

Send a message via AIM to Shade Tree Welder

$1400 seems a little high but not ridiculous. $1000 would seem more in line.

I would test drive it before paying any cash for it. You have to confirm everything works first.

"Live Free or Die" -- the official motto of New Hampshire

A Liberal lives life fearing the evil a man might do. A Conservative lives life celebrating the good a man does. -- JonM@FTF

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States.
Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution.
-- Unknown

When The People fear their government, there is Tyranny.
When The Government fears The People, there is Liberty.
-- Thomas Jefferson

An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject.
-- Unknown

To those who have fought for it, freedom has a
flavor the protected will never know.
-- Scrawled on a bunker outside Khe Sahn, RVN
Old 03-21-2009, 03:20 PM

got the same one paid $350 pretty dirty on the outside, new gun and full large tank of mixed gas. Does all the jobs I need it for. the add was written in a way that would not get your attention or it would have been gone by the time I got to it. Offer $300 but wouldn't go that low. even had 30# spool of mig wire. Ed
Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Well I bought the unit with the spool gun and the stock mig gun for $500.... The best thing is it's two blocks from my shop....so no S&H or worry that the shippers will damage it like every other piece of equipment I've bought this year...That peace of mind alone is worth a few hundred bucks to me.

I was thinking about buying a larger 220v mig unit... say a HH187 or even a Lincoln 180 when this fell out of nowhere for less bucks than either of those units with more range and the spool gun attachment pretty much sealed the deal.

I about fell out when he told me $500 and promptly paid the gentleman on the spot.

It's more machine than I needed since I just bought a HH140 a few weeks ago and haven't even sold the HH125 I had yet. I was going to keep the HH125 for flux core usage and portability.... that's all changed now, the HH140 will take that role(sure hate to give up the 125 though) and the WM255 now becomes the shop unit. I don't think I'll have to upgrade anytime soon...(Now to find an engine powered AC/DC for the farm..LOL)

Thanks for the input and especially the machine functionality thoughts. Any other thoughts about this unit are appreciated, feel free to add information.

In reading the manual it seems the liner in the torch fits either .035-.045(standard) or .023-.030 wire which probably means an additional torch rather than changing the liners for different size wire(although I may just use the HH140 for smaller wire)since I've got the larger spools in .035 wire any way for the WM255.

To those that have this machine-- Can the 4" spools of wire be mounted in this machine? or are the 10# spools the smallest that can be used in it? If I have to I can use the spool gun to run the smaller rolls...(I bought a lot of small rolls last year when they were on sale---SS/Alum/solid wire). Just wondering? I'd like to keep the spool gun for aluminum wire usage only.

At this point it's Christmas morning and I'm a happy camper and so is the seller..... Should this change(which I doubt) I'll let you know and I'll try to get some pics of the unit posted as well as some welds if I use it on the trailer I'm fixing up,instead of the AC stick machine.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Boiler God

Check the manual, I believe they offer a different roll spindle for the smaller rolls. I bought one for my Lincoln SP-250, and it was about $10.

Jack
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Thanks Jack--- I called myself looking at the accessories,but might have missed it.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:37 PM
The Butcher

Send a message via AIM to Shade Tree Welder

$500 you did good!

"Live Free or Die" -- the official motto of New Hampshire

A Liberal lives life fearing the evil a man might do. A Conservative lives life celebrating the good a man does. -- JonM@FTF

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States.
Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution.
-- Unknown

When The People fear their government, there is Tyranny.
When The Government fears The People, there is Liberty.
-- Thomas Jefferson

An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject.
-- Unknown

To those who have fought for it, freedom has a
flavor the protected will never know.
-- Scrawled on a bunker outside Khe Sahn, RVN
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Cranky Crustacean

I wouldn't have insulted him with such an offer--- I just asked how much? he said $500 and I couldn't snatch the hundreds out fast enough.We were both happy and both got what we wanted...doesn't get any better than that

Just looking at the machine I was thinking $750-800 and that was before I saw the spool gun which adds to that amount. I assume the spool gun is around a $300 optional item,maybe more,I haven't checked. I probably would have bought it without the spool gun attachment,but with it there was no question about buying it.

I've known him for years,but only in passing although we are friendly toward each other. He's doing well in his business and just didn't want to trip over it since he got a pretty, new, bigger machine( think he got the biggest Thermal/Arc with a new spool gun as well)I was just at ...the right place..the right time...and the bucks in my pocket(most important factor-LOL)

I've had some great deals on welders & supplies this year,but I've not had such a great year with some health issues...I guess things equal out...I'd have rather been feeling better and gotten screwed on some things I purchased instead though..LOL...can't have everything I guess.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Mudbug I would have jumped all over that deal at that price . Thats less than I paid for my 180 amp machine .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .