Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 AM

Default South Bend Lathe 3 1/2 mod A

Never see any small lathes for sale around here.A guy has a local ad for South Bend CL370ZD, 3 1/2 Mod. A, SN. 31732 KKK, cabinet under hung type, looks like reworked or painted. He is asking $1500 . Is this a good lathe and price, little or no tooling.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM

Default South Bend Light 10" or 10K

South Bend catalog describes a CL370ZD as a model 10K or light 10" swing lathe. I bought one last year, fully tooled for $1,000 but it was a bench model. The under motor drives go for a bit more but unless the lathe is in pristine condition that seems a bit too much for a basic lathe. Let me know if you want any specifics on it as I have a lot of info on South Bends. I also have a 9" swing SB.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Default More on South Bend

By the way, a SB in decent shape can hold a tolerance as good or better than any brand on the market and are far and away better than any foreign brand. Parts are readily available from a large number of sources. There are also a number of very helpful Yahoo groups and a Practicalmachinist group dedicated to South Bend lathes with a vast amount of literature and info available.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Quote:
unless the lathe is in pristine condition that seems a bit too much
Mine had no tooling, but still had factory packing grease in quite a few places & cost less than that (10 years ago). They're a nice machine, and can do a ton of work.

Lathe value depends on three things: condition, condition, condition

Most of the used machines I've seen that the seller said were 'fully tooled' were in fact not. Fully tooled means (at minimum):

3 jaw chuck
4 jaw chuck
steady rest
follower rest
threading dial

Often, 'fully tooled' means a worn out 3 jaw chuck & a shoe box full of useless junk, which the seller feels must add $1000 to the price. You're better off buying a bare machine & adding tooling as it's needed.

Is it worth $1500? If it looks brand new, probably so. With a Krylon Rebuild, if the rest is in decent shape, around $1000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SouthBend10-Ktooling.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	42287  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
Lathe value depends on three things: condition, condition, condition
Barry,

I thought it was 4 things, condition, condition, condition and location

In certain parts of the country, good ones are few and far between, and in other parts, they are just about giving them away or just scraping them because no one really seems to want them.

Jack
Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

The best deals are in the north east. If I needed a lathe I would first find a local trucker going up there and did backhauls. Then look close to where he goes and make a deal. SFT probably has someone close enough to look at it.

The biggest problem in the south is the freight.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 PM

Small lathes around here are rare. However I thought $1500 was high. I will call him tomorrow and get more details, if its not sold. Anybody know how old this lathe might be?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 PM

Default The real meaning of fully tooled

Built in 1974.
When I say fully tooled my '61 10K came with 3&4-jaw chucks, threading dial, steady and follower rest, taper attachment, dividing centers attachment, several live and dead centers, tailstock chuck, collet setup, milling attachment original paint half the frosting and most of the attachments came in the original SB boxes. That pretty much covers what $1000 can buy you if you look long enough. That was two years ago in Peoria Illinois. I brought $2000 with me and offered him $1000 and he said ok. It took me 10 minutes to load it and get out of town.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Smile Best looking south bend 10K I have ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwatterkent View Post
Built in 1974.
When I say fully tooled my '61 10K came with 3&4-jaw chucks, threading dial, steady and follower rest, taper attachment, dividing centers attachment, several live and dead centers, tailstock chuck, collet setup, milling attachment original paint half the frosting and most of the attachments came in the original SB boxes. That pretty much covers what $1000 can buy you if you look long enough. That was two years ago in Peoria Illinois. I brought $2000 with me and offered him $1000 and he said ok. It took me 10 minutes to load it and get out of town.
For sale: South Bend Model 10K, Catalog # CL370ZD / 428. It's S/N 4109X, I called south bend and the told me it's a 1984And it's for sale!
I just purchased this machine from a fishing rod maker, With almost no use on it except for some / very little wood dust. he bougth it from a vocational school auction. Machine was never used and was still in a crate when he bought it. as you can see, this machine still has the original cozmoline. Machine is flame hardened and it comes with (2) 3-jaw chucks, (1) 4-jaw chuck, Micrometer stop, thread dial, Taper attachment, Aloris tool post and (6) holders, (4) Drill chucks include one that's Keyless, collet draw bar and collets and some tool bits........
If you are interested call Marc (908) 236-9005
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05716.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	64529  
Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Smile Best looking south bend 10K I have ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwatterkent View Post
Built in 1974.
For sale: South Bend Model 10K, Catalog # CL370ZD / 428. It's S/N 4109X, I called south bend and the told me it's a 1984And it's for sale!
I just purchased this machine from a fishing rod maker, With almost no use on it except for some / very little wood dust. he bougth it from a vocational school auction. Machine was never used and was still in a crate when he bought it. as you can see, this machine still has the original cozmoline. Machine is flame hardened and it comes with (2) 3-jaw chucks, (1) 4-jaw chuck, Micrometer stop, thread dial, Taper attachment, Aloris tool post and (6) holders, (4) Drill chucks include one that's Keyless, collet draw bar and collets and some tool bits........
If you are interested call Marc (908) 236-9005