Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding Processes

SFT Search:   

Old 01-07-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Welding in the rain?

I know the standard answer -- don't do it. However, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Any tips on this? I was welding in the rain today on the roof of a tank converted to a tool shed. Outside was alright as I was in the air on a pallet and didn't feel anything. I had to go inside and finish up. My feet were wet, my pants were wet, my gloves were a little damp. I could feel the tingle everytime I changed a rod.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 PM

I weld in the rain only under an umbrella. I keep several pairs of gloves in the truck and swap out to dry ones at the first tingle. My zaps usually occur when changing rods also. I never weld in bad conditions without having somebody ready to shut it down.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

I've had to do that a time or 2 lay the rod down then get it with the stinger!!,I try not to do it but like you say sometimes.Once iI had to get in the celler on a oil rig arm pit deep in the water with a Linclon pipe liner I just layed the rod on the ground.But I was younger then I wouldn't do that again!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Banned

There really isn't a safe way to do it, but when you have to, a pair of nitrel gloves under your leather gloves will give you some protection, and wearing rubber boots that don't leak also helps a lot.
Laying the rods on a board or other insulator also helps some.
I've known guys to drill holes. like a drill index, into a board to hold the rods so they could be grabbed with the stinger, and that works well.
The best thing is to have a helper who switches the machine connection to the stinger on and off while you change rods. It still ain't exactly OSHA safe, but it's probably as close as you'll get.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

I'll go with Franz on the gloves. I didn;t have any nitrile at the time , but I did have several pairs of surgical gloves. They worked very well. That day, I too was getting zapped at rod change. The worst was when I was holding onto what I was welding, without a surgical glove BTW. It was after lunch and I ripped my last pair putting them on. When the arc struck and the machine hit full rpm's, it knocked me off a six foot scaffold backwards. Hurt like a sonofagun, too. My hand was frozen in a kinda "claw" pose for several hours. I'm probably very lucky to be breathing still. That ended the rod burnin' that day untill fresh gloves arrived.......Haven't even attempted to do that since. Not long after that I went out on my own.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 01-10-2005, 02:50 PM

There's a thread on this over at tractorbynet.com.

I think it's much ado about nothing.

Now I don't go out and look for a rain storm to do my welding. I also don't set posts in the rain if I don't have to and I don't work out of my truck in the rain unless I have to. It's not about the shock. It's about getting wet.

But the biggest reason I don't weld in the rain is because you can't see squat with your lense wet. I know we're supposed to be welding more by sound than by sight but chasing six puddles with one rod can be frustrating.

I have a custom leather rodholder. I do a lot of fence building. Most of it involves galvanized pipe and horse fabric like V Mesh or Non Climb. So I never, well, hardly ever allow a rod end to hit the ground. If it does it's picked up and then placed into the rod holder with the rest of the rod ends. When it's time to refill the rod holder I empty all the rod ends into a post and start all over again. Livestock can die from a disease called "hardward disease". Rod ends are heck on the digestive tract of a cow or horse. Of course with the cow they shove a magnet down her gullet and pick up the rod ends out of the manure later. For me it's a lot easier and less crappy to do not let them become a problem up front.

That to say this. On that rod holder is a pair of slip joint pliers, go through about three pair a year. When it's wet I use the slip joints to hold the rod while changing them out.

The tingle is get your heart going. It helps you know you're alive and not something like a framing carpenter. The only way they can get that tingle is to cut their saw cord. Which they do about as often as they cut themselves.

And they call welding dangerous.

Cowboy up and hold on tight. Like the old sailor once said, "it'll straighten out a bent," well, he was a sailor so he talked dirtier than weldors do.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
North West Redneck

Talking Here’s an old one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wroughtn_harv
Cowboy up and hold on tight.
That’s a fact Jack! Up here if we didn’t weld in the rain nothing would ever get built

I’m neither a professional or certified weldor! :evil:
Old 12-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Sheesh Carl, must be a real turd floater going on up north for you to drag up a year old thread. And reply to a guy that got chased off rather quickly for his political views no less.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:53 PM
North West Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_r
Sheesh Carl, must be a real turd floater going on up north for you to drag up a year old thread.
No we got 2 or 3-inches of that white crap on the ground, anyway I’m always in the house by noon, health reasons

I’m neither a professional or certified weldor! :evil:
Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Holder of only Official Titles

It is still attempting to come down here... only have about an inch though... stay safe Pile...