Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 11-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Standard of Excellence

The only frp I can find here is a white textured plastic that is used in mobile home bathrooms. It is also only available in 4x8.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
The only frp I can find here is a white textured plastic that is used in mobile home bathrooms. It is also only available in 4x8.
Here in WY they had a few different colors last time I looked. Must be a local thing. They were all textured too. I am going to get a sheet to do the headliner for my 64 Ford truck one of these days. I did not really catch the 5x10 till now. Sorry.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 AM
Lord of the Minions

Sweet looking frame Walker.

I have a question that could be posed in welding and off topic, but I'll ask you and probably get as much or more mentions from others etc.

I've built several utility trailers from small 4x5' to 24' x 8 and a smidge, large long goose necks and never found a need to weld anything on the builds which I thought would need low hydrogen rods. With the exception of goose neck front ends, not on the trailer beds or frame etc.

Have I been remiss with this attitude?

Are there any welds on your trailer build as yet that you did see a need for it?

Something I was thinking about at work.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Standard of Excellence

No need for low hy on a trailer. Reason being; Low hy is required in structural applications to prevent hydrogen embrittlement and subsequent cracking. This takes a long time to occur. Trailers are generally overdesigned at flex points because cracking occurs much faster due to the added vibration and cyclical loading.
So, no need to worry over a long term problem on a short term chassis. Building need to stand a hundred years, a trailer 20.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Standard of Excellence

I got the skin on it today. Ended up using 22 gauge 4x10 paintlok screwed every 12". I used a uptight power grab adhesive on all the structural members before I put the sheets on.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Standard of Excellence

Forgot the pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20171120_162315.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	142214

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20171120_162331.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	142215
Old 11-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Auction Addict

Looks pretty slick.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 11-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Something's Fishy ...

You should have no trouble getting enough tongue weight but the floor is a little small for the trailer
Looks very nice.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Another "little detail" I was just reminded of from your picture--I don't think you'll have a problem though with the length of your tongue.

On mine, Old Man had a spare tire mounted to the outside front between the A-frame. The trailer also came with an electric jack so his wife could easily raise it off the ball of her car. The jack was huge and had to come off just to clear the spare tire mount on the back of my Bronco. I replaced it with a swinging weld-on mounted on one inside span of the A-frame. But the trailer spare is still a pain. I have to back the trailer a tad bit askew to open the swinging spare on the Bronco. If you add anything to the frame up there, make sure to measure that spare tire .

Your little trailer looks absolutely great. I may have missed it, but how did you end up wrapping the roof/corners? Does the sheeting just go up and over? Or did you have to roll separate corners?

www.nfpd.us
Old 11-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Standard of Excellence

The front and back are just right angles up at the roof. For the sides I put the flat sides on first, then I put some tubing down the length of the middle, then started with a 4x8"6" piece of 22 gauge and clamped it at the bar. Then I came down the side a couple inches and put a row of screws, then another row 2' after that. Then I took a 2x2" piece of tubing and payed it lengthwise along the top and with my helper forced the sheet around the curve and clamped it to the side frames, then another row of screws, etc. there is a 1" overlap at the top that has no screws. I am planning to run some sealant in the overlap, then screw down a trim piece. I will likely end up replacing the screws in the top with screws that have a rubber sealing washer to avoid leaks.

As far as the spare, I doubt I will put one on it permanently. I used the same size tires as all my other trailers, so I will likely just throw one inside for the two trips a year. Maybe when I replace tires on another one I will scare up a wheel.

Surprisingly, aluminum trim seems to be the most expensive part on the trailer. I have seen prices all over the board and none of them cheap. There is basically 100' of trim. Cheapest I have found it is $2.50 a foot. Even looked at plain aluminum flat bar and angle. It wasn't enough savings to justify it. Also looked at SS, better but not great. I may end up using plain steel and painting it.