Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Default lawn mower blade steel

I just changed my mower blades and was wondering what kind of steel they are made of and what could I make. I might fart around and heat one in the coals and beat on it.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

A lot of them are 1080 series. Take a piece of one. heat it in the forge to nonmagnetic. Quench in oil. If it is a high carbon content steel it will be hard and will break when hit with a hammer. (catch it in a vise and hit it)

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/jnkstee1.jpg
Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Elite Member

thats a nice chart. If it is 1080 what can I make with it? like a knife or something? I just want to get my feet wet with forging, I never did it before.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

Yes you could make a knife with it. A better course of action would be to get some rebar and forge on that for experience. Longer pieces are easier to hold and control under the hammer.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Over the Top

Thanks for the chart.
I've got plenty of assess to used lawn mower blades. Was wondering if they could be turned into tiller tines if the right methods are used. (possible future project)
Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Location: In my brand new shop-Churubusco, IN where nobody complains about noise!

LOL. My father (who should know better by now) recently suggested that I need a sword stuck in the big rock in my front yard, a la Excalibur. I was thinking an old mower blade would make a great sword for the stone!.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM

More often than not, the steel used is cheap with little carbon content. To say that they are usually made out of ???xx steel is subjective. If you want to make something that will harden, you will save yourself alot of time and headaches using known steel. On the other hand, Wayne Goddard talks in depth about the use of "junkyard" steels in his book, "The $50 Knife Shop".
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
A lot of them are 1080 series. Take a piece of one. heat it in the forge to nonmagnetic. Quench in oil. If it is a high carbon content steel it will be hard and will break when hit with a hammer. (catch it in a vise and hit it)

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/jnkstee1.jpg
That is a great chart. If that chart had a column for weld rod it would eliminate a lot of guesswork.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Was wondering if they could be turned into tiller tines if the right methods are used. (possible future project)
Absolutely.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I just changed my mower blades and was wondering what kind of steel they are made of and what could I make. I might fart around and heat one in the coals and beat on it.
Having a friend/s, that use the more commercial grade mowers for larger plots of grass than a reasonable person should want to keep mowed, I end up with many used blades over a years period.

It has been an amazment to me just how often I can use a piece or part of that cheap raw stock sitting in buckets.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!