Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 03-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TriHonu: I think this is what he is going to build.
That is exactly what I'm trying to build.

Quote:
Originally posted by RancherBill: You won't have to spend a lot of time cutting out all the '20 Gauge' parts on that bucket.
The sad part is, that floor I cut out was the 2nd one the bucket had since we got it. One of our neighbors owns his own portable/ weld and fab shop, so he re-skinned and fixed some cracks on it. I don't think it was more than 1/8" or 3/16" sheet, but it lasted probably 5+ years before the old skidloader died due to a seized engine. Oh, and I'd love to see the post lady try to get this thing in her car to get it to the post office.

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan

Last edited by trukfan; 03-14-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Default Progress?

I've managed to make a fair bit of progress in the last 5 days or so. The bucket is all prepped, and I managed to get 21 of the 29 "bars" cut to length, and beveled. So, time for pics.
Pic#1: 3/8"x2" flat being cut.
Pic#2: Pieces after bandsawing and torch cutting the bevel.
Pic#3: Close up of flame cut end
Pic#4: Close up another bar
Pic#5: One more close up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0070.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	43556   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0074.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	43557   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0077.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	43558   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0078.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	43559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0082.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	43560  

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM

More pics: #1: Stack of cut parts
Pic#2: Same stack, different angle
Pic#3: Removal of old stuff
Pic#4: More removal
Pic#5: Final removal pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCFC0087.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	43561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0086.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	43562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0085.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	43563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0084.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	43564   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0083.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	43565  

Last edited by trukfan; 03-19-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Final set of pics:
Pic #1: My ultra high-tech, NASA specked, cutting jig to my angle for the digging end of the bars.
Pic #2: Pic of my CST 250 and cart, which has done most of the welding so far on this project.
Pic #3: Same machine, different angle.
Pic #4: From the front.
Pic #5: My MM 210, waiting and probably a little jealous of his little brother.
That's where she's at as of right now. Tommorrow, I start spacing the bars, maybe build a jig to help w/ the spacing, and hopefully finish cutting the remaing 8. Then it's cut and weld the 1/4"x2" uprights, add some bracing the bars, and burning the holes for the Bob-tach pins. And cleaning up the remaining slag. Hopefully, I'll be done by the end of Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCFC0095.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	43571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0088.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	43572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0089.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	43573   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0093.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	43574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0097.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	43575  

Last edited by trukfan; 03-19-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I think (hope) it'll be worth it.
At the prices you posted from auctions, it damn sure will be worth it. It's hard work, but your eating well and saving money to boot. Can't beat that kind of accounting.
Quote:
Hopefully, I'll be done by the end of Sunday.
Yea, sure. I say that all the time.

You've done a great job so far with the parts fab portion, looking good. Prep always takes the most time when there's multiple parts involved.

Well done.
LW

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Default More progress

Well, I'm pretty sure I won't be done today w/ the bucket. But, I've got most of the long bars welded in. I hope to get the other 8 I need cut, beveled and welded in tonight, but we know how that kind of planning goes.
Pic# 1: VIew of what I've done from the front.
Pic# 2: View from the lefthand side.
Pic# 3: View from the back. Cutting the back out is necessary so we'll be more able to see what we're picking out of the ground. Once I've got all the bars(horizontal and verticle) welded in, I plan on welding on top of the tips of the diggers. While probably not necessary, it'll provide a wear surface other than the steel bar. I'm also doing b/c in my internet searching, I've seen some bucket mfgs. say they use high tensile 80,000lb. steel. Since I'm just using regular ole' A36, some E70-S6 welding wire on the tips ought to help some. That's all the pics I took this morning. When I get back out there this afternoon I'll try to take more of my progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCFC0098.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	43666   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0099.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	43667   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0100.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	43668  

Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Elite Member

That bucket is coming out real nice. Ought to serve the purpose well.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:21 PM
7.5 Fingers

Send a message via AIM to migwelder05

looks good cant wait to see it done.

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence."
Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Slow progress

I've managed to make a little progress since my last post. Rain, plus a job interview and subsequent physical, have put me a little behind. But, I've got all my uprights cut, half of them welded in, and hopefully I'll get most of the rest done this afternoon. So, time for pics.
Pics #1,2 and 3 all show how I faced the tips where the digging will be. It's just .030" E70S-6 Hobart wire, but somethings better than nothing. Plus, this bucket will probably not() see enough hard use to justify hardfacing.
Pic#4 shows the uprights in the middle from the front.
Pic#5 View from the rear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCFC0101.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	43922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0103.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	43923   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0104.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	43924   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0105.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	43925   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0106.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	43926  

Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 AM

Hey.......

Don't get over this way very much, but been lookin' at your bucket.

Great piece of equipment. I got a combination of limestone, and shale, on some of my ground. Bring rock up every year with the plow. In some areas, it's pretty close to the top. I usually get off the tractor and walk it over to the side of the field. Gets pretty heavy, and boring. And I'm not gettin' any younger.

I wondered when you were figuring on gettin' the skid loader out in the field. Right after plowing, or after you disc it down. (I'm old fashioned, I don't have a once-over piece of tillage equipment. I moldboard, then disc).

Mostly, first off, I was wonderin' about the spacing on the tines.

I wondered if you need such a close spacing. I can't get on the field right after plowing because the ground's too "deep". If it's broken out, it's up, and really susceptble to ruts or compaction. Lots of loose soil, and in pretty big chunks. I wouldn't imagine I could pick anything up in that kind of ground, and expect the dirt to sift through such small openings. I could probably get on the field safely after it's disced down. But the ground still has pretty big clods. It isn't unusual to have up to 6" clods up to the time of seeding, and that's after springtoothin' it. Some clay, and this bein' Oklahoma, the ground ain't too good, plus I make a point of leaving the ground semi rough. We got erosion problems around here. If you got enough fines to plop a seed into, it's good to go. Rough field keeps the wind from blowin' it away, and keeps the wind from suckin' the moisture out of the top of the soil profile. Your spacing wouldn't work here with the soil conditions bein' as they are.

Most of the buckets I've looked at on the net are pretty much designed to sift small stuff from arenas and such. Kinda like the way yours is goin'.

I don't know what you plant, or what kind of equipment you use. So I may be way out there I mostly plant hay crops. Grass. Haygrazer, Oats, and Wheat or Millet in a pinch. Because I dryland, it's in 10" rows. And I use an old fashioned IHC 150 hoe drill. I don't believe in disc drills because they're too inaccurate, and won't put the seed down to moisture. Anything from a 6" dia. rock on down, won't hurt me. Anything bigger on top of the ground, or buried, will break the shear pin on the hoe.

So I guess the question/observation about the spacing is really about the close spacing. I'd probably go with 4-6" spacing considering the rock size that's crucial to me, and the fact that sometimes clods won't pass thru smaller spacing in a field environment. I don't want to be carryin' a load of dirt to the edge of the field. Just rocks.

Next question I have is about the lower backside rear corner of the bucket. I can't see what's left of that portion of the bucket you're cuttin' apart. I dunno if there's any meat left at that point. I see where you've added the flat, and I hope it's not meant to support the tines. The bucket, as originally built, had a full web. It was like a half pipe, or a half tube. It was pretty ridgid. I may not be seeing a good angle in the pics, but it looks like there's nothing supporting that area. You're gonna have stress from the bucket pushing forward, lifting the load, and possible shear from the outside corners. By removing the floor, and a good part of the backside of the bucket, you've left a lot of "air". Despite the thickness of the plate your using, it's in the wrong plane to resist some of the forces I've described.

Unless the tines, because of their bulk, and thickness, can resist the "breakout" force of the bucket when you dig with it, the original wear bar thingy isn't gonna properly support the front of the tines. I might be wrong. Collecitvely, the tines may be strong enough. But then we're back to square one.........is the back of the structure strong enough to withstand the torque as it's being lifted.

Ideally, I'd like to see it built like the attachment pic(See the pieces of tubing transferring the load from the outside part of the bucket to the center where the mounts are located). Treat each tine as a seperate, non supported member. After all it's a skeleton bucket. NO WEB. I think the strength has to come from members outside, and seperate from the tines.

Just wanna open a conversation, don't wanna start a fight.

Take care
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rockBucket_large.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	44091