Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Default Bobcat bucket rebuild

Well, I've finally been able to start a project I've been wanting to do for awhile: build a rock bucket for a skidloader. For those of you going "What the hell is a rock bucket?", I'll explain. Basically, take your standard skidloader bucket, remove the floor and back wall, and replace it with 3/8" x 2"-3" flat stock, laid on egde. Space the flat stock out about 2" O.C., then add points to the end of the bucket and waallaa, you've got a rock bucket. This way after you plow and level you fields, you can run out there w/ you skidloader and pick rocks, while leaving the dirt behind. I don't know the price of a new one, but I've seen good, used ones go for $900-$1200 Fortunately, we have a bucket from our old skidloader that I'll be modifying. I just started cutting all the old garbage out tonight, so I don't have alot done. I figure I've got at least one full day of grinding/cutting yet to get it prepped for new steel. Now for the pics:
Pic #1: The old floor, plus a wear bar. D'oh! Apparently manure, silage, and Wisconsin weather took their toll.
Pic #2: Bucket post floor removal
Pic #3: More post floor removal and example of rust.
Pic #4: The quick-tach mount and area in need of repair. I've got to fill and move the holes for the mounting pins to match our universal plate on the skidloader, and reinforce the area around it b/c our current one is quite a bit bigger than the old one.
Pic #5: Damage and mounting hole for the other side.
As you all can see, there's quite a bit of work ahead for me. Hopefully, I'll get my steel Monday and then can post some pics showing progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic001.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	43266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic004.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	43267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic008.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	43268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic018.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	43269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic021.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	43270  

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan

Last edited by trukfan; 03-13-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Lord of the Minions

Truckfan, actually, I bought a little Ford tractor with an FEL that had/came with an extra scoop rock bucket from Denver.

It was on the FEL while I was hauling it through Oklahoma. Stopping at a gas station I was asked what the hell I was using that kind of loader bucket for.

I told the old guy it was for our family owned Diamond field in Arkansas. To scoop up and carry the really big ones and just let the little ones slip through. He probably still thinks I'm a prick.

Don't forget to post more updates on this work. Even if you don't have a Diamond field, it's still interesting.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:46 PM

LW, with all the rocks we've been pickin' by hand over the years, I hope there was at least ONE diamond in one of them. How exactly does one classify the collecting of diamonds from the field? Are they harvested like wheat, or picked like grapes? Secondly, are diamonds seasonal, perenial, or even bi-enial? Inquiring minds you know

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan
Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 AM
The Real Deal

Wow I have seen skid steer buckets in bad shape before but never anything like that, Is there anything to save? As far as a rock bucket like you are explaining, do they make a attachment like that?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM
The Real Deal

As far as diamonds go I think that would be in the roughest part of the field and can be harvested any time but spring and summer would be the best. Diamonds in the Rough
Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 AM
there has to be an answer

You won't have to spend a lot of time cutting out all the '20 Gauge' parts on that bucket :evil::evil:

Good project, when it's done, maybe you'd lend it to me for a week or so. I think it would fit in a USPS flat rate box. I'll paint it for you as payment and send it right back.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 AM
7.5 Fingers

Send a message via AIM to migwelder05

wow thats a heck of a bucket.

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence."
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 AM

I think this is what he is going to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skeleton_Rock.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	43327  
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM

Hardly noth'en Its only a few cardboard templates away from being a brand new one.

Look forward to seeing the new one. Guess you'll make a little jig to space the bars the same.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Digr: Wow I have seen skid steer buckets in bad shape before but never anything like that, Is there anything to save? As far as a rock bucket like you are explaining, do they make a attachment like that?
Digr, the answer to your questions are yes and yes. The sides are solid on it, and the cutting edge is in pretty good shape. The back is mostly salvagable, but I'm cutting the rear out and replacing it w/ spaced 2"x1/4" flat stock welded in vertically. It would look better if I had cleaned it, it still has some "residue" on it:evil:. Makes the shop smell real nice when you apply heat. As far as pre-made attachments, yes they make them, but you've gotta be willing to bend over to buy one. Cheapest one I've found online in this size (60" wide) was $795, plus shipping. Our nearest Bobcat dealer has them for around $1000, and the Case/IH and Jonh Deere dealers are priced the same. I figure we'll (the farm)have $200-$300 in steel into this plus my time, which is cheap since I'm unemployed till I'm needed again or find something better. I've seen two go at auctions, one sold for $900, and it was used HARD, and the other went for $1200, still used, but not real hard. I think (hope) it'll be worth it.