Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > SFT Info, Workshops and Support.

SFT Search:   

Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Standard of Excellence

Default Using the 'Search" function

There was another poster saying that he had trouble using the search function here, as do I. I can type in anything I want to search for and it essentially comes up with every thread on the forum, or at least seven thousand pages of them, and none are valid. For example, he was searching for TIG table, so I put TIG table into the search box and htis is what I came up with. http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/sear...archid=2486612 .
I have tried using the advanced search, but the only way to get any applicable results is to type in the user ID for the user who wrote the thread, even then it come up with every thread that he has posted into.
So, is there a way that we can make our search functions more useful? I do not know if this is a setting on our computers, or if it is a setting in the server.
Thanks,
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
SFT Navigator

I was kinda wondering if it was just me that didn't know how to use the search function properly. It doesn't seem to connect the words you use in the search criteria. If you ask for "tig table" you get every thread that has either "tig" or "table", and as mentioned above that can include almost every thing written.

Is there some way to make the search critera more selective?

So far,,,I'm succeeding.

"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people who pissed me off!"

"It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!"
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Curmudgeon

I think GWIZ is the king of search. He can give you better advice than I can.

Meanwhile, try using quotes around your search words and connecting them with a plus sign, as in:

"tig+table"

However, you're probably going to have to work harder & search for:

"welding+table"

because not many people seem to have limited their table thinking to tig only.

I also usually prefer to click "show as posts" rather than "show as threads".

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
there has to be an answer

I agree is leaves something to be desired. I took a quick peek at the vbulletin forum and there are comments that mirror yours.

Just when you thought all hope was lost, Google rode in for the rescue. Type this into a Google search.

"tig table" site:shopfloortalk.com

There are 5 (7) references to this unique phrase. Google took out some of the duplicate reference. If you search for some phrase that is more common like 'plasma cutter" there are lots of references - 4100

I hope it helps.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Standard of Excellence

If I search welding table, I get 13,000 results. If I search "welding table", or "welding+table" I only get about 9,000. Here is the first post that pops up. http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/show...elding%2Btable . It says table in one of the posts, but is really not a valid post for this search. Yet if I got onto Brand X web site, which uses the same format as this one I get posts with welding tables. So, still more search info needed.

Thanks,
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
SFT Historian

Yep, The search does not work very well, when searching for three character words I try Google like RancherBill stated in his post.
Searching Tig and Oil is the hardest, I have been trying to add three character key words in the TAG list at the bottom (for TAG search).

==
As too Google the more you add the better
use the word >and < to include more parameters specific to what you want.

Example:
"Tig table" and " top" and "legs" and "caster" site:shopfloortalk.com
==

Once you are on a page you can also use the "Find on this page" (Ctrl+F) of the browser, in the edit tab pull down.

Don't forget to look in Tricks and Tips also the Project Index.
==
OK,
someone tell me the difference between a "TIG Table" and a "Welding Table", we just may also need a "MIG table"?

The Project Index has "Welding Tables".
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post

because not many people seem to have limited their table thinking to tig only.
I agree with this but I am absolutely CERTAIN I have seen posts titled "my new tig table", or "yep, another tig table project" and even "yet another tig table project".

I wanted to tailor my table more towards those smaller tig job types of tables I have seen before. I can't fit a massive fab table in my room.