PDA

View Full Version : Welding reels mounted on bed

b-footn
11-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I've got a couple of ideas on how to mount these reels on the bed, but I thought I'd throw a picture out of the reels and see what other ideas come about. Easiest way to do it, is mount the reels on a swinging post behind the welder. Hardest way is to conceal them in the bed.

Jeff
11-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes, it would be hard to conceal them in the bed but it would be cool.
Maybe make a compartment behind your machine to put them in? And keep them out of sight?

westside
11-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Chris, I'm for getting them out of the weather and out of sight :) Our service trucks have it both ways #1 is a flatbed everything out in the weather reals are long gone #2 (older truck and eqmt) but every thing still works well :)

Garth
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey B-footin hiding them should not be to bad just use a couple of under bed tool boxes stood on end and put 2 in each one. if you were closer id give you a couple of them . you could use buyers or uws boxes they are pretty rugged and not badly priced or build some like them. .hope this helps garth. :D

b-footn
11-07-2006, 07:00 PM
I should mention that "aesthetically appealling" is a concern as well. I'm going to be cutting the front of the bed anyway, from the front corner of the forward boxes. The bottles and reels and welder need to be in this area, and easily reached. I'm trying to keep the back deck clear and clean of anything. I've got an OSHA variance in the state of TN to carry my oxygen bottle(s) horizontal. I might go with it vertical on this bed for crossing state lines. Right now it looks like I'm gonna be moving the welder tray all the way to the passenger side to make room for the reels, which leaves the question of bottles.

Garth
11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
ok didnt see the body earlier how about making a canopy top over the front section of the body and put doors on both ends shoot the exhaust through the roof and hang the reals inside it and you will still have room for tanks on one end.the side you put the bottles in make a full hight door and a rack for them could do the same on the other side and add some shelves in the lower area for storage. man i wish i had skecth up for this. we build all sorts of these at day job. and a few at the house.

digr
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
How about something like this, only on the curb side? Its hard to draw when I have no numbers.

Garth
11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Digr what software do you use to do those pics.???

digr
11-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Digr what software do you use to do those pics.???
Its called "Smartdraw" It is a 2-d drawing program nothing fancy

Eric c.
11-07-2006, 10:28 PM
How much were those reels!I really want some,but they always seem so high.I would like to check out that bed,Im building one for my new truck right now.It would be nice to get some input from other welders in my area.are you putting that on the truck I saw at Volunteer?

Dr Dean
11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
My gut feel says to hide them behind a door or in the bed somehow. The reels look spendy and I know that the leads are expensive. If the heathens don't see the leads hanging on your truck they probably aren't going to work at swiping them.

b-footn
11-08-2006, 01:48 AM
How much were those reels!I really want some,but they always seem so high.I would like to check out that bed,Im building one for my new truck right now.It would be nice to get some input from other welders in my area.are you putting that on the truck I saw at Volunteer?

lol, John Mark hasn't worked up the bill for the reels yet. I just picked them up today. 12V motors for re-wind on the lead reels, and spring loaded for the other 2 reels.

The truck you saw at Volunteer is 11 years old. I hope to buy a new cab and chassis next year to put this bed on.

b-footn
11-08-2006, 01:58 AM
How about something like this, only on the curb side? Its hard to draw when I have no numbers.

Working side of truck is driver's side. Your drawing is what I am trying to accomplish. Bottles need to set lower in the deck. I'll post some numbers for the reels, or if you felt ambitious, you could look on HANNAY.COM for their specs. I have to go measure a new cab and chassis and see how long the skirt needs to set down from the deck.

Coalsmoke
11-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Good heavens man, those reels sure are nice but WOWWEEEEEEEEE there must be some price tag stuck on them, maybe even one of those double page price tags, can't fit all the zeros on the first page:eek: B-footn, are you getting too old to hand crank them reels? :p Auto this and auto that. I'm just jealous. They look like they're powdercoated steel? I personally figured I'd always go with aluminum or stainless, just so that they last. I agree with keeping them out of site. I'm not sure that the weather hurts the cable all that much, hasn't been my experience at least, but I think it could get to those fancy motors, and if those reels are susceptable to rusting then that would be something to consider just like Westside was saying. You've seen the back layout of my truck right, with the simple vertical bottle rack? Its always an option, and they don't take up much room when they're standing up, not even the 9" bottles that I carry (250s). I keep my cables out of sight, keeps opportunists minds off of all the copper sitting on the truck :rolleyes:

I would like to build my own reels, just I have yet to figure out how to build or where to buy just the swivel couplings(like mini rotary manifolds) that transfer the power or in the case of hoses, the gasses to the spool. I'm sure everyone here knows what I'm talking about, I can quite jabbering now :o

b-footn
11-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Coalsmoke, easiest way to make your own reels, is use trailer axles. Quick disconnects when you are spinning them works good to avoid buying any swivels. You are right, I am getting too old to wind up the leads any more. :D I've already got a home made reel on the current truck for the shore power cable. I just decided to go fancy for the new truck.

Coalsmoke
11-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Coalsmoke, easiest way to make your own reels, is use trailer axles. Quick disconnects when you are spinning them works good to avoid buying any swivels. You are right, I am getting too old to wind up the leads any more. :D I've already got a home made reel on the current truck for the shore power cable. I just decided to go fancy for the new truck.
B-footn, that axle hub idea is great, and they're plenty strong, thanks. :cool: When you suggest using the quick disconnect, so you mean using it as the swivel or just disconnecting the leads, pulling out whatever you need, and then connecting the quick-disconnect? I would think the second way would be better. I'm thinking that if a quick-disconnect were loose enough to act as a swivel, it would be too loose to maintain a good quality arc, and it would probably start heating up as a result of the added resistance. How much approximately for these fancy reels you bought?

Jeff
11-08-2006, 06:58 AM
http://www.trans-motion.com/index.htm

I saw a set of these reels a long time ago and at that time they used a trailer hub and ran the weld current through it... The bearings were preloaded.

b-footn
11-08-2006, 07:31 AM
B-footn, that axle hub idea is great, and they're plenty strong, thanks. :cool: When you suggest using the quick disconnect, so you mean using it as the swivel or just disconnecting the leads, pulling out whatever you need, and then connecting the quick-disconnect? I would think the second way would be better. I'm thinking that if a quick-disconnect were loose enough to act as a swivel, it would be too loose to maintain a good quality arc, and it would probably start heating up as a result of the added resistance. How much approximately for these fancy reels you bought?

You've got the idea. Quick disconnects are available at the supply house. You disconnect for free wheelin, and then connect for power afterwards. I used one of the hub holes for pushing the cable thru to the reel.

I haven't actually looked at my reels yet, or read the paperwork. I have an idea of what they cost, but haven't gotten my suppliers price yet. They were on the dock, so I loaded them up yesterday. :D

Eric c.
11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I priced some of those manual safe-t-reels-$800.00 for the over/under model,so I cant even guess how much the 12v powered ones cost.Right now I'm using air hose reels with quick connects in the center,but I just hate having to connect/disconnect them.I'd like to get a price on some of the tidweld reels.

b-footn
11-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I priced some of those manual safe-t-reels-$800.00 for the over/under model,so I cant even guess how much the 12v powered ones cost.Right now I'm using air hose reels with quick connects in the center,but I just hate having to connect/disconnect them.I'd like to get a price on some of the tidweld reels.

Only thing I can tell you is if you flinch at the prices, as I did for years, you're not ready for them.

Coalsmoke
11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys for the info on the DIY reels. I also happened across these reels made locally, and IMO they're a good price, all aluminum and with brass contactors so you don't have to unplug your leads all the time.

http://www.expresstrailer.com/images/A-WeldingDecks/Large/A-WDA_04L.JPG
$795 for the big pair of reels and $295 for the smaller remote reel.

Eric c.
11-08-2006, 11:34 PM
How much is $795 Can. in U.S. Dollars? I sure do like those alum. reels.Have you seen them up close?How does the swivel work? If I could make a good swivel that didnt take a hundred hours of machining I would build some in a second.

cutter
11-09-2006, 01:53 AM
The exchange rate for November 9th, 2006 is $1 US = $1.131 Canadian.
Or $1 Canadian = $.89. So there.

Eric, welcome to SFT & thank you for posting your location. :)

Coalsmoke
11-09-2006, 02:55 AM
How much is $795 Can. in U.S. Dollars? I sure do like those alum. reels.Have you seen them up close?How does the swivel work? If I could make a good swivel that didnt take a hundred hours of machining I would build some in a second.
haven't seen them up close, but I have heard generally good things about their products, and, IMO you couldn't build them with a swivel for this price if you paid yourself a reasonable wage, not unless you did a mass order and sold the rest, where you are making larger quantities instead of 'one-offs'

Jeff
11-09-2006, 06:54 AM
I went to their site and they really do make some nice stuff.
Those look like real nice reels :D

Coalsmoke
11-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I went to their site and they really do make some nice stuff.
Those look like real nice reels :D

Their decks are priced pretty good too. I was talking to one of their sales guys the other day and he said he could get me a deck by christmas :cool: That's fast. For anyone interested in their welding decks, here's a link: http://www.expresstrailer.com/a-welding-decks.htm Its some nice stuff like Jeff said :cool:

Garth
11-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi all the vfront of that truck is what I was talking about to put the reals in with the bottles inside. you could put the welder inbetween the front boxes or build the canopy to fit over the welder also. and that is one sweet setup.