PDA

View Full Version : Thinning paint

KRS
09-03-2006, 01:08 PM
What do you use to thin Rustoleum Red in the little can (metal paint)?

Mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, paint thinner, ... ?

I'm gonna spray some for the first time ever (usually brush it on) and would like some direction from you all.

Thank you.

LW Hiway
09-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Mineral spirits, paint thinner around the place is the norm.

Although there was that time I painted the JD-6 with red primer cut with gasoline. Of course it was 22cents a gal at the time.

LW

terry lingle
09-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Varsol ,mineral spirits,paint thinner which ever is handy or least expensive at the time. Terry

KRS
09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Roger that, I have mineral spirits and I'll use that :)

I should have asked consistency for a cheapo harbor freight type of sprayer.

Milk, water, yogurt, ?

KRS
09-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Project is: expanded metal sides for a utility trailer... so perfection isn't needed. It's a good "first paint" project.

TEK
09-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Roger that, I have mineral spirits and I'll use that :)

I should have asked consistency for a cheapo harbor freight type of sprayer.

Milk, water, yogurt, ?

Probably what ever shoots thru your gun the best. I would go a little thicker first and see. You can always add thinner. Expanded is a drag to paint with spray because you have to hit it from 4 diff angles to get coverage. I've never tried it but have thought about a roller.

terry lingle
09-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I run about 40 psi on the gun and thin until it runs easily off the stir stick - about half way between milk and cream. Terry

Tom Zachman
09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
The fastest way to paint expanded metal is with a painter's mitt. Messy but fast.

frankenfab
09-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Use VM&P Naptha. It evaporates faster and your paint will dry quicker. ;)

AntiBling
09-03-2006, 09:36 PM
I've never tried shooting rustoleum, so I dont really know what to thin it with, but I'll tell you this much, paint thinner and mineral spirits will never touch my spray guns.

If you use alkyed enamel (Single stage tractor paints commonly sold at TSC) or urethane paints, paint thinner and mineral spirits will gum up the paint and will pretty much make your spray gun a piece of scrap metal. I would rather use lacquer thinner to be safe.

Consistency, you want it about like milk. When painting with a spray gun the thing to remember is it isnt about getting it as thick as you can with the least amount of coats, the point is getting good looking job (i know you said you dont care about the outcome but I am assuming this is a learning experience for you).

The first coat you want a thin "tack" coat. Basically you spray the coat on thin, let the paint flash for awhile (if it was real paint you would have some tech sheets to know flash times) then when the paint gets tacky, you spray on a "wet" coat. You spary on a good heavy covering coat.

terry lingle
09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
rustoleum may curdle if thinned with laquer thinner.
As far as what you put through your gun as long as you use a suitable thinner for the product in the gun and clean the gun properly after each use your gun will last forever

When spraying what you will notice is that the paint flashes much quicker than with other aplication methods due to the fine atomization during spraying.
One of the the secrets of painting metal is understanding that metal does not absorb the thinner so it must all evaporate from the first coat. Thus the first coat must be thin or it will run.
After that coat has flashed you are not spraying metal but the first coat of paint so the second coat can be thicker because the thinners will both evaporate and be absorbed by the first coat. It is important to apply the second coat as soon as the thinners flash from the first coat so that the paint will still absorb some of the thinner without sagging .
Terry

LRAmberson
09-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Rustoleum will curdle if thinned with laquer thinner.
Use Rustoleum alot on Production work, max 50% thin with a good mineral spirits & have best results with a low pressure spray gun.
Good Luck,

Photomask
09-03-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't claim to be an expert on paint but I have shot some.

I've painted a few cars, more than my share of trailers, and countless metal projects.

I've shot Rustoleum on many an occassion out of a Devilbiss JGA production gun, (a high quality, old fashioned paint gun), I have an cheaper gun I use to shoot primer.
I thinned it about 50-50 with arcrylic enamel reducer, (about the consistency of milk), and used an arcrylic hardener as well. It always came out great. It's not automotive quality by any stretch of the imagination, but it shot well, hardened and bonded. No curdling or any other problems for that matter. As always, I cleaned up the gun with the parent thinner of the paint I was shooting, in this case arcrylic enamel reducer. But, then again, Rustoleum and automotive arcrylic enamel are about the only paint I've shot through it anyway. Just to be specific, because I know you guys get that way.... :D I went out to the garage and checked, the last time I shot it, I used DuPont 8093S Warm Weather Reducer.

Was I just lucky on every occassion?
If ya' think so, you don't know my luck.... :rolleyes:
Murphy hangs out at my house alot.... :eek:

dubby
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm no expert, and I havn't tried shooting it yet, but I did read the directions on the can. Rustoleum recommends thinning only with mineral spirits. They do not give any sort of mixture requirements though, so I'd suspect thin as necessary to get it through your gun.

Good to know about the flash times and re-coat. I've heard of problems using a second coat of rustoleum after the first coat dries per the directions. I've only used the rattle-can rustoleum in the past but have a gallon of black waiting to spary as soon as the humidity goes down.

chumly2071
09-04-2006, 07:49 AM
for the expanded metal, the roller is a good option. spraying it will put little on the metal, and a lot into the air. the other solid sections would be good to spray thoough.

my $.02 USD

Gadgeteer
09-04-2006, 09:51 PM
rustoleum may curdle if thinned with laquer thinner.
As far as what you put through your gun as long as you use a suitable thinner for the product in the gun and clean the gun properly after each use your gun will last forever

When spraying what you will notice is that the paint flashes much quicker than with other aplication methods due to the fine atomization during spraying.
One of the the secrets of painting metal is understanding that metal does not absorb the thinner so it must all evaporate from the first coat. Thus the first coat must be thin or it will run.
After that coat has flashed you are not spraying metal but the first coat of paint so the second coat can be thicker because the thinners will both evaporate and be absorbed by the first coat. It is important to apply the second coat as soon as the thinners flash from the first coat so that the paint will still absorb some of the thinner without sagging .
Terry

If it is important to apply the second coat as soon as the thinners flash from the first coat, I wonder why the paint manufacturers don't know this information and include it in their directions on the cans. I just sprayed a metal door, following the can's instructions, which said to wait 24 hours before applying a second coat.

terry lingle
09-04-2006, 10:05 PM
The instructions on the can are for brush or roller application where you disturb the "skin" of the setting paint with your brush strokes. If you use a gun they assume that you either know what you are doing or have already lost so many brain cells to the thinners that you can no longer read or comprehend what is on the can. :) Terry

KRS
09-04-2006, 10:50 PM
It's gotta be the loss of brain cells :D

Ed ke6bnl
09-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Use VM&P Naptha. It evaporates faster and your paint will dry quicker. ;)

the mix I was told but yet to try it is 1:4 Napatha and 3 lid fulls of Japan dryer. dries fast. this fellow said he has painted many cars that way. Ed ke6bnl

Silverback
09-05-2006, 04:17 AM
The instructions on the can are for brush or roller application where you disturb the "skin" of the setting paint with your brush strokes. If you use a gun they assume that you either know what you are doing or have already lost so many brain cells to the thinners that you can no longer read or comprehend what is on the can. :) Terry

Huh?
;)

Jake
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
You can substitute Xylene for "Japan" dryer and save a whole lot of money...

bunkclimber
09-26-2006, 10:23 AM
(snipped) I've shot Rustoleum,
I thinned it about 50-50 with arcrylic enamel reducer, (about the consistency of milk), and used an arcrylic hardener as well. It always came out great. It's not automotive quality by any stretch of the imagination, but it shot well, hardened and bonded.
just what rustoleum were you using? the old fish oil type 7600 series,or a newer type? I can't see using a isocyanate hardener with the old fishoil rusto,the chemistry isn't right..it's not an acrylic

Bladeforger
09-26-2006, 10:31 AM
You have several suggestions of painters mitt / roller. I'll second those. The thin nap, small, disposable rollers work great. You can thin a bit with mineral spirits and roll or brush multiple coats. It uses less paint than a sprayer overall, it gets a thicker and more protective coating on the metal, and it doesn't get in your lungs. It takes a while, but it's not onerous. My 2 cents on Rustoleum.

Sberry
09-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I liked the regular rusto thinner the best with rusto products. As for thinning you do get a feel for it running off of the stick but it should go fairly easily thru a strainer, if it doesnt it probably wont go thru your gun, at least not a siphon. As for cleanup, I usually use what I thinned with first time thru and then laquer thinner, its so much hotter. xylene is often a good substitute for mineral spirits, a little bit faster.

madam X
09-26-2006, 02:41 PM
What do you use to thin Rustoleum Red in the little can (metal paint)?

Try some of dubby's "Lemon & Herb cat butt marinade". :p

LW Hiway
09-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Try some of dubby's "Lemon & Herb cat butt marinade". :p Madam, the meds, don't forget the med's.:D

KRS
09-26-2006, 07:21 PM
'tis a bit of an inside joke... from another thread :p

I've written off cat butt anyway ;)

Tom Zachman
09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I bought a Campbell-Hausfeld airless machine at an auction last Saturday. Shortly after a friend approached to tell me that it didn't work... I said that it was OK cuz I didn't work either and 'we' should get along well together. :D

She had a stuck intake check valve.

Now 'we' have a problem.

I think I'll sell her....

dubby
09-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Try some of dubby's "Lemon & Herb cat butt marinade". :p

:D tears, I'm telling ya.... tears... :D