PDA

View Full Version : nickel tig rods ?

Blown 4.3
05-27-2006, 11:40 AM
is there such a thing ?

i did some cast iron repair the other day. i had to scrape the sheilding off a nickel smaw rod. but the problem was the roc was too big. job came out ok, just kind ugly.

thanx

Shade Tree Welder
05-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Yes,

Messer MG200, MG382 & MG799.

www.messer-mg.com

Or

800-558-8524

They are just North of Milwaukee.

precisionworks
05-29-2006, 09:05 PM
scrape the sheilding off a nickel smaw rod. but the problem was the rod was too big

Been there :rolleyes: In addition to the too large size, SMAW electrodes don't contain the wetting agents & flow enhancers that help make a pretty TIG weld. Along the same line, but in a smaller sizw, GMAW wire is available in .030 or .035 Nickel 99, great for tiny repairs.

For most cast iron welding, I use Nickel 99 TIG filler in 1/16 or 3/32. The last I bought was Harris-Welco 99T, from Airgas. Comes only in 5# or 50# quantity. Around $40 per pound in the five pound size.

joebass
05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Last time I priced it it was around 25.00 a pound 10 pound minimum.

Blown 4.3
05-29-2006, 09:47 PM
thanx guys. but i'm not spending $40+ for some rod.

is there anything else i can use. its for non critical welds. what about brazing rod ? stainless ?

precisionworks
05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Steel is easy.

Stainless is a piece of cake.

Aluminum is a walk in the park.

Cast iron, using the best available fillers & methods, is difficult.

what about brazing rod ? If there's a crack that's over .002" and under .006", brazing will work. Problem is that a brazed joint is about one-third as strong as a welded joint because the metals partially dissolve each other at the interface, and usually the grain structure and joint alloy is uncontrolled. The other catch is the brazing rod used is ........ nickel, or nickel-silver. BTW, nickel-silver costs even more than nickel.

Nickel 99 TIG filler is cheap compared to the frustration of using a less effective product. And it still isn't easy.

Shade Tree Welder
05-30-2006, 07:31 AM
thanx guys. but i'm not spending $40+ for some rod.

is there anything else i can use. its for non critical welds. what about brazing rod ? stainless ?

hehehehehehehehe....

Jesse,

Here's what you do. Go down to the local liquor store pick up a case of Red Dog (cans is fine). Hop in you vehicle. Drive down to shady's shop and I will weld them up for you.... :D

Ron...

Blown 4.3
05-30-2006, 11:02 PM
thanx Shade. but i don't have anything to weld now. i just though i would practice, for when i do need to do it. though i do need to get some RED DOG and head on over sometime. but my truck is taking up all my spare time, right now.

i wonder if i can can get a bead going. and then throw some brake lathe shavings into the puddle :D :rolleyes:

precisionworks
i guess i'm kinda weird. i didn't have any real problems doing the cast. for my very first cast welding, i did a mighty fine job. if i had the proper size filler, it would have looked really good.

well. i guess i'll just have to make due with what i have. i have a LOT of practice doing that.

thanx guys :)

stock z/28
06-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi,

I have been using a lot of Crown nickel tig rod. Mostly on automotive type stuff, crankshafts (just to weld balance weights in-not surface repair) heads, and blocks. I think its 55/45 nickel-copper, and it works great. I bought a small spool for a mig but I haven't tried it yet.

Jeff