PDA

View Full Version : Single Shot Rifle-From Scratch

Matt Shade
02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Maybe this goes in the firearms section, I kinda figured it had more to do with fab though since I'm building it from scratch. Doesn't belong in machining because I don't have any of that fancy stuff. All parts were cut with a hacksaw and shaped with a belt grinder and files.
I just test fired it today and it appears to have passed so I'll go ahead and start a thread. Had it come apart, you guys would have never known :D

I got the basic idea from the book "Mr Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans" by Frank and Mark Dehaas. Its an interesting book with scaled drawings for 3 different guns. An interesting read but if you pick it up you will see that I didn't follow the plans very closely at all. Borrowed some concepts and then did my own thing to make use of the tools and materials I had. I designed it as I went so there are no drawings for it, its all in my head. With the equipment I have I can't make parts accurately enough to build from a plan, I have to make each part fit the one I made before it. Its a slow process but I get lucky sometimes and it works.

The barrel is the only part I didn't make. Its a clerke custom bull barrel for a Ruger 10-22. Ruger attaches their rimfire barrels with a wedge and bolts. This freed me from the need for a lathe to thread the barrel shank and receiver ring. It also allowed me to use a barrel that is already chambered so I didn't have to buy any expensive gauges or reamers. This rifle is chambered for .22WMR . I need to double check rim thickness and diameter but I believe I can swap in other ruger barrels and also shoot .17hmr and possibly .22lr with this action.

I took a couple pics every day or so as I worked and I will post them in order. At this point its probably not worth trying to describe them all in detail, I'm sure you will get the idea.

Matt Shade
02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
more pics

Matt Shade
02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
5 more

All welding was done with my hh175. Damn right I wish I had a tig!

Matt Shade
02-08-2011, 05:11 PM
16-20

Matt Shade
02-08-2011, 05:12 PM
21-25

Matt Shade
02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
26-30

Thats it for now. I need to work on cleaning it all up now that its been tested. I shot 6 rounds with it clamped to a fence post pulling the trigger with a string. I'll dress it all up and smooth it out and I need thin the end of the firing pin, 3/32's is too big and sometimes you have to drop the hammer twice. I think I can speed the hammer up a little bit too.
Then its on to a trigger gaurd, scope base and something to mount the buttstock and forearm to. I think I'm about a month into it at this point and probably have that much or more to go.
Thanks for looking :)

tnmike
02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Matt your'e doing some excellent work my friend. Keep it up

There is an article in one of the Machinist bedside readers about a man who made about a dozen replica firearms with nothing but hand tools and files.

Ive got a shop full of tools and I cant even finish a .22 cal tip up derringerIve got started..:confused:

digr
02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow, by hand:eek: NIce work

Charlie C
02-08-2011, 06:28 PM
When I first got my lathe, I started building a single shot rifle some what like you have done. Mine got too large and did not feel right. After a while I sort of lost interest and now it resides in a drawer.
Maybe someday I will pull it out and see what I can do about making it feel more like a single shot.

That is a very nice job you are doing and should be interesting when you have completed it.

rmack898
02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
That's what I call gunSMITHing. Very nice work Matt.

milomilo
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
All with no mill or lathe. WOW. Nice work.

CEC
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Matt,
You just have to keep raising the bar don't ya.
Very excellent work.

CEC
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Congratulation on hitting the 1000 post mark.

madam X
02-08-2011, 09:43 PM

Some titles just come naturally. :)

Congratulations, Matt!

Ummm . . . . nice gun. :p

cutter
02-08-2011, 09:43 PM

and on the new title. :)

lathedog
02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
very nice work. looking forward to seeing it finished.

Alphawolf45
02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I like classic single shot rifles..And there's many dozens of them to choose from to pick one to build...I've built 15 ? single shot rifles. I have machinery ..but it always comes down to grinding and filing and stoning and sanding and buffing and finishing.....Machines just get you started and then the fun work gets started.. You should end up with nearly as purty a first gun built without machines, as if it were your first gun built with benefit of machinery....The appearance aint added by a machine , you got to put that in there by hand everytime...

engineman56
02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Matt, That is a very nice job on the rifle. The best work is done by hand. It takes time but it always looks good. I'd like to do this sometime but I'm no machinist by any stretch. I'd probably have to use the file method too. Keep going this rifle is looking good. Kevin

Matt Shade
02-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words everybody :)

And thanks for the title Madam :D

Charlie
This will be a very heavy single shot! I'm guessing that it weighs about 5 lbs right now. Have to add a scope rail, trigger gaurd, lug at each end for the stock, not to mention the stock and a scope. It might be an 8lb .22 :eek:

aametalmaster
02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Nice job and i will have to look up that book. Thanks...Bob

Brian C.
02-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Very nice work Matt. I like it. :D

doubleD
02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Matt, very interesting project and so impressive that you are doing it today in our "modern world" without a mill or lathe. Keep up the great work.
dd

Vicegrip
02-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Nice work!

The single shot I made many years ago involved some gas pipe and a fuse hole. :eek:

Matt Shade
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys, I have to admit I gained a lot of confidence looking at the "homemade guns" on youtube :eek:

Small update, I welded on a rail for the scope base and also the front lug for the forearm to mount to. I need to weld on a stud on the back for the buttstock and make up a trigger gaurd and that should be it for the welding. Then its just a a bunch of grinding, filing, sanding and tweaking.

I'm planning on using some curly maple for the stock, and making it a thumbhole target style. With the shape of the receiver I can't make the wrist thin enough to make it a sporter style and still reach the trigger. I have a rought cardboard mockup shown below.

Scope base is a weaver and for some reason they think that 6-48 is a kick ass screw because they use it on everything they make. So I'm debating between swapping screws out for something different or ordering the tap. Only place in town that has one is fastenal and those bastards want $20 for it, midway has it for $2 :mad:

Planning on a Redfield 3-9x40 for glass. Part of me says I should shoot it and see if it will hit a basketball at 20 yards before I spend the money. Then part of me says I'd rather shoot myself in the foot with it than put chinese glass on top so its Redfield or Leoupold regardless :devil:

CEC
02-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Matt,
Keep going. Sure is looking good. I've got to try it one day myself.
What other sources did you use beside the one book?

Matt Shade
02-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Just the book really. I also have everything from paintball to blackpowder and do a fair amount of shooting so I've handled a little bit of everything. The design for the centerfire chicopee rifle in the book is what got me started though. Seeing that I could use a laminated construction for the breech block and receiver was really all it took to get me going. I followed their concept with the the support shoulders in the receiver to back up the breech block and pretty much went on my own from there.
I bought the barrel and book several years ago and got hung up on the barrel shank being so short that it wouldn't work with the plans in the book and I put it all on a shelf and forgot about it for awhile. This winter I pulled them back out and looked at it some more and decided that the general concept was still feasible and I just started making parts. Pretty soon, I had deviated from the plans completely and was on my own. I mounted the locking lever in the breech block instead of the receiver like the book. I think my method is stronger due to the different geometry but it does have the downfall of making the breech block longer and leaving less room for the hammer. My lockwork isn't nearly as intricate and will probably take some tweaking to get just right too. This is definitely a project that requires a lot of motivation to finish, but so far my interest is holding. I'm probably more interested now that i'm this far and can picture the final product.

LW Hiway
02-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Matt, your to be commended for tackling this project. These type books get purchased or picked up and put down once the first glimmer of just how involved the project will be.:)

I've picked up a few of this same book at gun shows in a box with enough material included to make several of the guns, but not one got beyond the basic rough cut stage.;)

Well done on the project so far. Well done.

What other sources did you use beside the one book? CEC, while there are many other publications by various writers/gunsmiths out there dealing with the same type subjects, this particular book is fairly easy to follow from the standpoint that you do have a few simple abilities concerning metals etc. The book is rather complete for the subjects it covers.

CEC
02-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Mr. Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans (Paperback)
by Frank and Mark de Haas (Author)
Amazon has it for:

$89.79
+ $3.99shipping

A bit out of my budget right now.
I'll look for a ebook copy or see if the library can find it for me.

Outerspace
02-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Matt your'e doing some excellent work my friend. Keep it up

There is an article in one of the Machinist bedside readers about a man who made about a dozen replica firearms with nothing but hand tools and files.
Link?

Matt Shade
02-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Mr. Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans (Paperback)
by Frank and Mark de Haas (Author)
Amazon has it for:

$89.79
+ $3.99shipping

A bit out of my budget right now.
I'll look for a ebook copy or see if the library can find it for me.

:eek: it must be out of print now. I've probably had my copy for about 5 years and I'm pretty sure I gave $15 for it.

CEC
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Our library is good for finding books for me.
It may take a while but if it is in the regional system they can get it.

doubleD
02-16-2011, 12:02 AM
CEC and all, Track of the Wolf, (trackofthewolf.com) has it for around $25 and IDSA has it for around $35 and both show it available. I also believe Brownells has it in that price range.
dd

Matt Shade
02-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Thats good to know DD, I'd hate to think I had a rare book in my collection :D

Made a little more progres. I drilled and tapped the top rail for a weaver 63B scope base. Its getting #6-32 screws, not worth mail ordering a tap or paying $20 at fastenal. Its mounted to a piece of 1/4" steel, I think coarse thread will be just fine.

I added a stud for the butt stock to mount to and went back and did a lot of welding and grinding to clean up corners and what not. I think I have all the welding done and just have to shine it up and tweak the internals now.

I also forged a trigger gaurd. Planning on mounting it with screws at this point. I think 4 #4 or #6 screws will be plenty strong, especially with the tab indexing it to the breech block. If that doesn't work I'll weld it but I really don't want to mess with gooping the whole inside of it of with anti spatter gel and going down that road again.

Vernon
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Very cool, can't wait to see the end product. Well Very nice so far. Thanks Vernon

doubleD
02-16-2011, 06:11 PM
matt, looking great, and thanks for your detailed account and the pictures......great to follow

dd

~Stick/MIG~
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Very nice work!!! :D

Tip my hat to you, Sir! ;)

Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks for sharing!

LW Hiway
02-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Matt, that action is looking 'smart'. I love the trigger guard.

As most here know, I'm addicted to the need to have at least one of every book printed on each and every subject that interests me.:rolleyes: So, rummaging around my shelves marked 'guns', I found another one that is available to the public......

"Building a Single-shot, Falling-block Rifle Action" by Walter B. Mueller. I found this re-print on the 'Home Shop Machinist' website. Lots of good books to be found there.

cutter
02-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Matt, that action is looking 'smart'. I love the trigger guard.

Yep, I was surprised at the difference it made.
First time I saw it I thought, "now it looks like a gun". :)

akabull
02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I really like the trigger guard the way the steel it curled over and cupped gives a very unique look.

Excellent work so far, looking forward to the finished product.

Matt Shade
02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for staying tuned in guys :)

LW, I may have to look that book up sometime. Chances are this won't be the only gun I ever build.

I'm glad everybody likes the trigger gaurd. Hate to admit it took me an hour to mash it into shape, my forging skills seem to have gotten rather rusty :o

Made some more progress although I don't have a lot to show. I mounted the trigger gaurd with 3 screws. Broke a damn tap off in hole #4. It seems plenty sturdy so I will probably leave it. May weld the 4th hole shut in the gaurd but I'll let that go for now.

I started shining everything up and have a preliminary coat of cold blue on the receiver and trigger gaurd. These aren't finished by any means but it lets me see what the bluing will hide and what it won't. I will probably leave these about like this until I am done fitting the stock so I don't have to worry about scratching anything.

My advice to anyone building a gun is to get some decent steel. I made this out of stuff I had laying around. It was hot rolled. I looked into buying some pre-hard 4142 or cold rolled steel and decided it wasn't worth the money. Strengthwise, A36 is strong enough for my design and the caliber I'm using. Its pretty poor stuff to try and put a finish on though. I wasn't sure if I would stick with this project and wanted to keep my expenses down. Now that I'm this far I wish I would've spent the money. There are pin holes and imperfections that just don't want to come out. Its also gummy, a tooth on my file got clogged while I was draw filing the the receiver sides and I ended up with some large gouges that have been fun to polish out. I think the end result will still be good but it will take alot more work.

cutter
02-21-2011, 11:08 PM
I think it's looking great, Matt. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Barn Owl
02-22-2011, 12:56 AM
I was waiting for Kevin to quote it since his avatar depicts the movie. "Just don't shoot your eye out".:)
Matt the gun really looks good I am impressed how well it is coming together.

LW Hiway
02-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Matt, it looks like it wants to clean up just fine.

As an aside considering the imperfections your finding with the material you selected, it might just be the perfect subject material to do some 'hands-on' etching and metal engraving.

CEC
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Looks good, I think it will finish out nicely.

The Library got me a copy of Mr. Single Shot's Gunsmithing Idea Book.
Just a few minutes ago I found it as an ebook (http://www.scribd.com/doc/24995094/Frank-de-Haas-Mr-Single-Shot-s-Guns-Idea-Book) that is available for online reading.

Matt Shade
02-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys :)

I'm not sure I'll ever top this thread. I thought my kitchen knife set was crazy but I have 50 pics now and my project isn't done. I'm not sure it ever occured to me what a big undertaking this was going to be :eek:

I got a preliminary coat of blue on everything and tuned up the firing pin a little bit. Haven't shot it any more but using fired brass I'm getting a much better crimp on the rim. I think it will be 100% now.

So for the last couple days I've been working on the stock.
The buttstock has been sawed out about halfway and I bored a hole through it for the mounting bolt. That didn't go very smoothly. I had to use an 18" long bit in a hand drill and it wandered and went crooked. I got it bored back straight and glued a plug inside to take the slop out. It will bolt up tight now, but I'm going to have to be very careful shaping the stock that I don't expose any of it. I don't have enough maple to make another one so I'm going to do my best with this and see what happens.

I got the forearm about 90% complete. It mounts to the stud on the front of the gun with a #10-42 SS screw and there is a nut inlaid into the wood for it to thread into. I need to do some more thinning and trim the bottom flush to the mounting stud but its not far from what I want. I'm leaving it a little wider than the receiver, kind of fills your hand that way and should sit nicely on a sandbag or bench.

Matt Shade
02-24-2011, 09:40 PM
More pics

Edit:
CEC thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading the single shot plans book and will have to check that one out as well.

LW
I actually have given some though to trying some engraving. I've done a little bit on pocket knife handles in the past. I cheated and used rotary burrs instead of a graver. If I can find some new bits and come up with a pattern I may do it. Have to do some experimenting and see how it works on some scrap. After a little more work and some blueing the bad spots don't show up nearly as bad though.

milomilo
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Are you going to do some checkering on the stock? An inlaid emblem of some sort would be real cool too.

Matt Shade
02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Probably no checkering. I don't have the files for it and really shouldn't spend the money for a set right now. An inlay of some kind isn't out of the question but I've got a lot of stock carving left to do right now, so I'll see how that goes first.

allessence
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Looks great. Love all the hand work.

I always love to see projects come to life and get finished.

Me, myself and I seems to do lots of looking and then get disgusted and give it up for another day.

I like the idea of interchangeable barrels as well. Will you buy different barrels with the appropriate lugs?

LW Hiway
02-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Probably no checkering. I don't have the files for it and really shouldn't spend the money for a set right now.Matt, your in luck. The tools to do a fine job of that are easier to make than the rifle your building.:)

Matt Shade
02-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I haven't made my mind up about buying other barrels yet. I know I could get a .17hmr barrel for it and I would like to add that cartridge to my collection, have to check and see if the non mag rimfires have the same rim thickness or not to know if .22 or .17hm2 would work. Swapping barrels would require re-zeroing the scope for the new load each time and if you ignore the work involved, the barrel is at least 2/3 the cost of building the gun. I think at this point I'd be more likely to just make another rifle than have a rack of barrels for this one :D Guns just seem to accumulate around here, I'm not a collector by any means and yet I keep finding a reason for a new one. Maybe I'll never need to shoot an elephant in ohio but can you guarantee I won't? :devil:

LW
I'm not sure whether or not I should read your posts anymore. I'm liable to wind up spending a month making checkering tools and learning how to use them before I can call this done ;)

LW Hiway
02-27-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure whether or not I should read your posts anymore. I'm liable to wind up spending a month making checkering tools and learning how to use them before I can call this done Uh, well, if it's of any value, all totaled, it only took me about 20 hours to make more of these tools than I could possibly need or use at one time. :D

One thing to note on your current build......it would be a great candidate for etching work on the steel.

From what I've gleaned from my own experiences with engraving, a few of the store bought hand tools can and will do a right nice job for the amateurs like us.;):)

Matt Shade
03-01-2011, 10:50 PM
You really are a bad influence LW :D

I've got all the rough work done on the stock now and I think I'm going to do some relief carving on the right hand side so it looks less like a boat paddle. Just don't ask me what I'll be carving on it cause I don't know yet :rolleyes:
I think I'm going to skip the checkering for now as I don't see a good place to put it on the buttstock and I don't want to do just the fore end. Haven't decided what to do on the metal yet.

I have a handful of pics to post that are basically a time lapse of carving the stock. 90% of the shaping was done with gouges and knives. I did resort to my 4x36 belt sander for a few spots just to speed things up.
I've never made a gunstock from scratch before and the design portion is a lot more involved than I'd have guessed. At first you think about how it should look, but when you really get into it its more a matter of how it fits you. There's a lot of variables to consider when you're trying to line up your hand, head and shoulder. I settled on 14 inches for the length of pull. Measuring on my arm would put me just shy of 15-1/2" (I'm 6'3" and my knuckles almost drag) but I don't have any guns stocked that long and 14 inches shoulders pretty well.
I need to mount the scope and see how well I did on the cheekpiece. I'm afraid its not tall enough to really have a good cheekweld and be lined up with the scope. I tried taking some measurments and had a cardboard template but I think in the end its a trial and error process when you don't have a similar gun to reference. I could have made a pattern stock and built the comb up with bondo or something but that would have been really time consuming and who knows if I'd have gotten it any better.

Matt Shade
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
The scope is a Redfield 3-9x40. I went with the Accu-range reticle. It came last week and so far I'm impressed with the quality. Good edge to edge clarity, and a nice amount of eye relief. The magnification knob turns smoothly and everything is finished well. Its also made in the USA :)

Base is a Weaver 63B as posted earlier and I got a set of extra high Weaver Grand Slam steel rings to mount it with. I've been very happy with my other set ups from Weaver, they seem to be a good value.

No scope pics yet, but I'm sure I'll have it on the rifle before too long checking fit.

Matt Shade
03-01-2011, 11:00 PM
I am definitely going to make a steel butt plate. I may do a grip cap as well. The gun weighs about 7 lbs with no scope, no sense worrying about weight now.

CEC
03-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Never thought about what it would take to build a stock. My grandfather had made a few stocks and forearms years ago but, I never saw the build process.
Thanks for the progress pictures.

LW Hiway
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Matt, thumbs up friend. Stock is moving on just fine. As far as what length or weight is found on your build, if it's fine for you, that's just right!

I've never owned a bought/purchased gun that was built or fitted to me or for my size. But you can bet that those that I have made(air), were, and fit just fine.:D

digr
03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Beautiful work!! Thats gonna be something to be proud of.

tnmike
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
LW, have you got any links to information on checkering file construction? Ive always wanted some but couldnt bring myself to pay what Brownells wanted.

Nice work Matt. its coming along

LW Hiway
03-03-2011, 04:45 PM
LW, have you got any links to information on checkering file construction? Ive always wanted some but couldnt bring myself to pay what Brownells wanted.
As I find stuff on the www, a folder gets made and links and/or files get copied and saved on the subject as well.

I'll look after work tonight/Friday morning.

LW

I know I've seen the same info in most all of the home/hobby/entry level gunsmithing books I have on the shelf.

Matt Shade
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for following along, and all the nice comments everybody :)

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy and haven't made much progress. I did get the final shaping done on the stock and have some pics of that. I'm ready to make the buttplate and grip cap now. I think I'll get to those tomorrow. Still need to figure out what to carve on the stock and once that is accomplished it will just be a bunch of finish work.

LW Hiway
03-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Still need to figure out what to carve on the stock and once that is accomplished it will just be a bunch of finish work. Matt, years ago I decided that anything I made for myself, or at least of my own creation, would be to my liking and of what had a personal look. Whether or not someone else can connect to my work on that level does not matter at all. If it's my egg, I'll cook it like I want.:)

Your talent will be further revealed to us in this project.

milomilo
03-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Have you ever done any woodburning? A wolf or coyote face would look real nice on the butt.

nctox
03-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Matt, I've enjoyed following this thread, although I could never attempt such a project. Your talents are enviable.:)

I must say on a different note, everytime I see the title of this thread, my mind sings "Single-shot rifle and a one-eyed dog":D:D

tnmike
03-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Chip carve a simple running scroll or vine pattern on the stockm it doesn't take much to punch it up

sandrailmike
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow that is some great work! cant wait to see everything all done.

Matt Shade
03-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Well sorry for the lack of updates but I've had a lack of progress. Partly because I've been busy and partly because I'm trying to get a final plan on how to finish this thing out. I kind of had a picture in my head from the start and I've gotten to that point and need to settle on the final details. Once they're worked out in my head I'll try and make them happen on the gun.

I'd say we see eye to eye on finishing our projects LW :)

Milo, never done any woodburning but the wolf/coyote idea has been bouncing around in my head. I maychip carve one.

nctox, thats an excellent song. It may come true if the dang dog doesn't back away from the work bench a little. My helper has suddenly decided she needs to sit in my lap. She's a 60lb mutt and thats not going to happen! Don't sell yourself short, I think you should give a knife or a gun a try sometime.

Trouble with scrolls is I've never been any good at drawing them Mike. I love the look when they're done well but its just not something I've had any luck laying out myself.

Thanks Mike, I'm hoping to finish it in this lifetime.

Here are some pics of the buttplate coming together. I started off by making a cardboard template. I transferred that to a piece of 3/16" mild steel and ground it to rough shape.
Next I laid out my screw holes and drilled them and countersunk them. I used 4 screws because the stock is laminated out of 2 peices of wood. I figure if I do the buttplate with 4 screws and the grip cap with 2 I can help insure the glue joint never fails.
After the holes were done, I located them on the stock and drilled pilot holes for the screws. Then I attached it to the stock and scribed around the base of the wood with an x-acto blade to mark the remaining material to remove on the buttplate.
After some grinding I mounted it to the stock again and the final fitting can be done with a sanding block.

LW Hiway
03-17-2011, 02:32 PM
[/URL]
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etching"]Matt, I've had lots/loads o fun piddling with this. Simple to do with little need for too terribly much artistic abilities. It's more of a 'do it a few times' to get it right thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etching)

For the steel parts that is. :)

DrBob
03-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Trouble with scrolls is I've never been any good at drawing them Mike. I love the look when they're done well but its just not something I've had any luck laying out myself.

Lookin' good, Matt! I wonder if you've ever played with the draftsman/artists' aid known as a French Curve? You can get one at the local artists supply and look at one (actually a set) here. (http://www.dickblick.com/categories/curves/) Have you picked a caliber yet?

DrBob

Ironman
03-17-2011, 07:35 PM
DrBob,
The math relationship of scrolls is laid out simple and easy here (http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=5190&highlight=scroll+golden) and it only depends on grid size for the size you want.

DrBob
03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
LOL Gerry! Back in the day when I was in my residency, I was also working in the laboratory of an old professor of anatomy and theoretician named Dr. Melvin P. Moss. He had a theory that the growth of peoples lower jaws could be measured (for reasons I won't bore you with) in the form of a logarithmic spiral.

At that time, young residents were actually enslaved by their professors, it fell to me and another slave, Dr. Richard Strachs to go to the Museum of Natural history where they have a large collection of human skulls, X-ray them and measure the jaw s by plotting the x-rays with a log spiral tracing.

Dr. Moss believed that of all the infinite possible curves, that he had found the one formula that described the growth. His diagrams looked a lot like the one on the website you referenced.

We did the first couple hundred films by hand, but one day Richie came in to work with a couple of 'french curves' from the local art supply. We found that by sliding the curves along the x-rays we could get a pretty good fit and reduce a few hours work to under a minute! Of course we never told the professor. :)

From that I learned that you can approximate most any spiral by adjusting the curve along its length. Mathematically it's cheating - but it works! I thought the same trick might help Matt lay out some scrolls.

DrBob

Matt Shade
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Well I still haven't done any carving, but I haven't forgot about it either. I got a few hours in on it tonight.

First thing I did was rough out the grip cap and get it mounted. It needs a little fine tuning but the shape is close to finished. It is also made with 3/16" mild steel and will be blued to match everything else.

Then I decided it was high time I test fit the stock and made sure it cleared the hammer and breech lock and all that good stuff. It fits fine, as far as those things are concerned and I have to add that I really like the Weaver Grand Slam rings. Very beefy with a great fit and finish. The scope is a redfield 3x9x40 and I'm very impressed with it as well. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it obviously so no side by side comparisons to any other scopes yet, but to hold it up and look through it its definitely good glass.

I did discover one small problem which is actually probably a good thing in the end. The comb of the stock is actually too high. I was expeciting it to be low and its really a 1/4" or more too tall. You can see through the scope but lose about the top 1/3 of the sight picture. So I set to it with a rasp and a knife and started whittling the comb down. I didn't get it quite finished but its much closer, and I think the look of the stock is actually improving with the added contouring.

Vernon
03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Well I still haven't done any carving, but I haven't forgot about it either. I got a few hours in on it tonight.

First thing I did was rough out the grip cap and get it mounted. It needs a little fine tuning but the shape is close to finished. It is also made with 3/16" mild steel and will be blued to match everything else.

Then I decided it was high time I test fit the stock and made sure it cleared the hammer and breech lock and all that good stuff. It fits fine, as far as those things are concerned and I have to add that I really like the Weaver Grand Slam rings. Very beefy with a great fit and finish. The scope is a redfield 3x9x40 and I'm very impressed with it as well. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it obviously so no side by side comparisons to any other scopes yet, but to hold it up and look through it its definitely good glass.

I did discover one small problem which is actually probably a good thing in the end. The comb of the stock is actually too high. I was expeciting it to be low and its really a 1/4" or more too tall. You can see through the scope but lose about the top 1/3 of the sight picture. So I set to it with a rasp and a knife and started whittling the comb down. I didn't get it quite finished but its much closer, and I think the look of the stock is actually improving with the added contouring.

The stock is forming real nice can't wait to see the finsh pcs Great job
Vernon:)

~Stick/MIG~
03-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Very nice work!!;)

Can't wait to see it finished!

Keep the pics coming!:D

digr
03-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Looks great!!!

Matt Shade
03-31-2011, 09:05 PM

I finally have an update that involves more than sandpaper :rolleyes:

For starters I finished shaping the comb of the stock. I can line up on the scope with a nice cheek weld now. As you can see in the pic, I took a lot off the top.
Next I took a file and started truing up the buttplate a little more. It just needs some quality time with some sandpaper now.

And the part that may actually be of interest to you guys is I put my logo on the tang that for the forearm. This is probably the biggest I have carved it in and I took quite a few pics so you can see the process a little bit. This is how filework is done on knives, and I think you guys will find its pretty simple if you decide to give it a try.

I started out and scribed in lines on a half inch interval to get an idea for spacing. Of course I didn't follow them though, I pretty much do this free hand. Some patterns work better with careful layout and others you just start at one end and work to the other. You have to figure out what works best for you. I like to take a few measurements though just to get an idea of how much space it will take and how the letters will look a certain size.

I always start with the S and make the inside cuts with a mini rat tail file. Then I use a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut straight cuts at each end of the S. This sets my spacing for the rest of the logo. I don't have a fixed measurement but generally the S and E are widest, with the HAD being slight smaller.

Usually while the dremel is running I go ahead and make the straight cuts to layout the HAD and E.

Matt Shade
03-31-2011, 09:13 PM
After making the straight cuts I use a tear dropped shaped file and start knocking the shoulders down on the letters that have curves or angles. This file is half round with sharp edges and allows me to take the shoulder off one letter without getting into the one next to it.

I use the cut off wheel in the dremel to make the straight lines in the A, H and E as well. If you aren't comfortable using a dremel like this (it takes some practice to make a clean plunge cut) an alternative is to use a jewelers saw. Or you'll find that most hacksaw blades don't have any set to their teeth for about an inch at each end and you can use this section to carefully file in nice clean lines as well.

On knives, I usually just use a center punch to dot the A and D. That wasn't going to be quite big enough here so I used an 1/8" drill bit to make a dimple in each. I have done the same thing with diamond burrs in the dremel before but it doesn't give leave a smooth defined cut like the files do so I prefer this method with the drill bits or center punch.

Matt Shade
03-31-2011, 09:15 PM
I used a steel sanding block with some 220 grit paper to take out any stray scratches or nicks. You always want to use a hard block to clean up filework, otherwise you will kind of round it off and it will be blurred or pooly defined. Should be ready for bluing now which will make it stand out even more.

RogueWelder
04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Sweet

~Stick/MIG~
04-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Very nice work!!:)

tigman250
04-03-2011, 06:52 AM
You need to stamp/engrave/carve MADE IN THE USA some where on that bad boy!

you have put some thoughts and ideas into my head with this project......shame on you:D

very nice work, looking forward to some pictures of not only it completly finished but some "finished" targets as well!!!

allessence
04-03-2011, 06:00 PM
You need to stamp/engrave/carve MADE IN THE USA some where on that bad boy!

you have put some thoughts and ideas into my head with this project......shame on you:D

very nice work, looking forward to some pictures of not only it completly finished but some "finished" targets as well!!!

Here, Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Shade
04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Well I did some carving today and have something that resembles a coyote on the stock now. I'm not real happy with it but maybe it will grow on me. As soon as I started carving I realized I had picked a much more difficult subject than I anticipated. There really aren't any definite lines for background/foreground so it was hard to decide just how to go about giving it some depth. I tried using a V gouge and giving it a hair texture but the wood is just too stringy for that to work and I ended up just using normal gouges and messing around till I came up with something that kind of worked.

I like the idea of putting "Made in USA" on it somewhere and I may try LW's etching method to do that on the grip cap or buttplate. That will probably be it for embellishments though. Think my next step is to take all the wood off and start the finishing process.

The wood is at 80 grit right now. I think I will try and wet sand it with 120 grit and some danish oil and see if I can fill the grain a little bit. Then I'll hit it with 150 and then 220 as I keep adding coats of finish.

The metal all needs sanded and polished out better and then more blueing. There isn't alot left to do on this project but its all stuff that will be time consuming. I'm hoping to actually shoot it again soon though :D

allessence
04-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Very nice. I think it came out extremely well.

Very talented. I wouldn't even want to attempt something like that.

years back I refinished my Marlin 39A with some linseed oil. Man that was a lot of work.

I had like 10 coats on it with rubbing in between. Still looks good though and that was 25 years ago.

Matt Shade
04-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks Jen, I think that Danish oil goes a little quicker than linseed oil. It has some stuff added to it to make it build up faster. It will still probably take 5 or more coats though. You can't beat an oil finish for gun stocks though, no matter how much work it takes.

As for the carving, I went varmint hunting. I just couldn't make myself happy with the coyote, so I shaved it off and put a horse head in its place. Maybe it doesn't make much sense having a horse on a varmint rifle, but I didn't like the coyote and I needed something to go in the divot it left behind :o

tnmike
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Matt. That horse looks very nice

cutter
04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Matt. That horse looks very nice

Agreed. You do a nicer job of horses, Matt & I think they're hard to draw.
The coyote had a bit of a 1960's werewolf movie quality to it but the horsey has a happy look. :)

Matt Shade
04-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks Everybody :)

Cutter,
I thought it was more like a bad horror movie werefolf too. I've never sat and looked at a coyote all that closely so it was kind of a stretch for me. I've spent years looking at horse conformation so I can generally make them look right. (following that logic it would either have to be a horse or a pair of boobs....:D )

Here we are with a 1st coat of finish on them. I like the color I'm getting, and its hard to get in pictures but the curl in the maple is starting to really pop.

cutter
04-20-2011, 07:31 PM
(following that logic it would either have to be a horse or a pair of boobs....:D )

Maybe next time. :)

Charlie C
04-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Heck, I liked the coyote but the horse is good to.

Matt Shade
04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Yep, maybe next time :devil:

Made a little more progress today. Did more sanding on the stock and put more oil on it. Think I finally got all the scratches out and the pores filled. It will mainly be a matter of how fast I can get each coat to dry now.

I did a little filework on the grip cap. It says "USA" on the front edge now, and has a little bit of a pattern cut all the way around the edges. I'd like to try the chemical etching sometime too but came up with this idea while I was trying to decide what I'd need to do the etching.

I also cleaned up up the buttplate and got some cold blue on it and the grip cap.

LW Hiway
04-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Matt, personally, I see these small touches to a project like this as being the bigger part of the exercise in creation.

That will look real nice where it will rest.

Fine work.

allessence
04-22-2011, 05:01 AM
I like both of the carvings. I'm sure this will be an Heirloom type of item.

Can't wait to see it finished and maybe some target groups?

CEC
04-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Matt, that curly maple was a fine choice for your stock.
Sure is looking good.
Just my 2 cents worth, I like the horse better. :)

Matt Shade
04-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I will definitely post some targets, providing I can hit them :D

I'm curious about how accurate it will be. The receiver is definitely stiff enough for good accuracy and the trigger is pretty light. My only concern is the fit of the barrel shank to the reciever, its a tight slip fit and the wedge locks it down tight but I'm not sure how it will do still. If it doesn't group well I'm going to get some low temp solder and solder the barrel in to eliminate any play. I want to see how it shoots first though.

I did a lot of sanding and touched up the bluing on all the metal this afternoon. I think its about as good as I will get it with cold blue. Its not bad but is just a little bit streaky. I may end up taking it apart some day and trying a different finish but I'm going to let it go for now. It doesn't look too bad and I want to shoot it :D

allessence
04-22-2011, 02:11 PM
looks nice.

You must be a patient person. I would have been out as soon as possilbe. :)

Matt Shade
04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Most of the time I like doing finish work. Its when a project really starts to stand out and turn into something. I'm not a perfectionist and will never be the guy that can sit there with a magnifying glass and try to make something a collectors piece or a work of art, but I can handle sitting around with a sanding block from time to time.

I don't know that I can ever call this finished as there are a few things I could still touch up, and there may be more fine tuning to do when I shoot it, but I'm calling it finished for now. Here's a bunch of pictures of it all put together.

Matt Shade
04-25-2011, 04:10 PM
More pics

Matt Shade
04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
I want to thank everybody for following this project for so long, it helped keep me motivated to finish. I'll be sure and post targets and any changes I make along the way. :D

tnmike
04-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Matt , etching the metal with whatever you want is easy. You need a DC power supply, a stencil of the design or words you want etched and an etching electrolyte.
I have my stencils made and you can wash them with liquid soap and reuse them many times. Reversing the polarity of the supply blackens the etch.

cutter
04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Matt, it has been a remarkable project to watch come together and I'm sure even the grunt & scratch readers agree. :)

Charlie C
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Matt, using the thumb hole stock gave me an idea for mine, that is if I ever get back to it.

The angles on mine did not come out right and it did not feel right, so it resides in a drawer and has for the last twenty years.

allessence
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
targets, targets,targets,,,,,,,:D

Looks fantastic. The action works different than I thought. figured you were making break top.

Matt Shade
04-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks Cutter :)

Charlie
Be sure and post pictures if you decide to finish it!

Jen
I initially was thinking of a break open but couldn't come up with a latch mechanism I liked. If I do another one, it will break open. This is a little bit difficult to load now that the scope is mounted. I'll have targets as soon as I can, its been raining for 2 weeks and they're not calling for a break for at least one more :(

CEC
04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Sure looks sweet. I would like to try it out myself.
Package it up and send it on down. No rain here.
I'll even post pictures of some targets. :devil:

engineman56
04-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Matt, After all that hard work on this rifle I think its a work of art. I think its an awesome project.

Kevin

Matt Shade
05-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I found a break between thunderstorms this morning and ran out to go shooting :D

Turns out I only had a partial box of .22mag so I only got 35 shots in, and most of them were wasted zeroing the scope. I'm probably going to end up buying an adjustable scope base because I had to shim this one with a cartridge box top to get the elevation adjusted, the scope just didn't quite have enough room to crank down. Have to see what they cost and what they look like, I may just grind a steel shim for this one too as it doesn't need to be adjustable in the end.

I'm very happy with the accuracy :cool: This rifle appears to be more accurate than I'm capable of shooting. I was out at a farm and had to shoot out of my truck bed. It was too wet to lay down on the ground so I sat in the truckbed and used the wheel well toolbox as a rest. The height was a little awkward but it worked pretty well.

First target is 6 shots at 50 yds. Ammo was winchester JHP's of some variety, they weren't in the original box. Group is just a hair shy of an inch.

2nd target is 5 shots at 100 yds. The 5th hole is right under the edge of the tape measure at the 2inch mark. Group is 2.5" wide and just under 2inches tall. Considering the wind was gusting around 15 miles an hour, and the position I was shooting from, I really happy with this.

engineman56
05-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Matt, That rifle is impressive. I think its very nice. I would be happy with that result. It looks as if you need just a little practice with it and it will be fine.

Kevin

partsgurut
05-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Matt, nice job on the rifle. I like the horse better myself. What's the next one going to be? lol.

LW Hiway
05-25-2011, 03:29 PM
I was out at a farm and had to shoot out of my truck bed. It was too wet to lay down Matt, you have good reason to step back, look at your work and be thankful for your abilities. You've now raised the bar for projects in for your hands. Well done my friend. Well done.

Isn't it amazing just how much creativity and dexterity can be had/exercised by an individual?

My hats off to you Matt!

allessence
05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Matt, that is way cool. Congrats on the gun. Looks like it was fun to shoot.

Groups look really good to. I'm excited for you. :D

Is it hard to load/unload?

If you tig a small bead round the scope mount you could file it down later instead of shimming

Weaver scope mount?

Matt Shade
05-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks everybody :D

Rifle is definitely fun to shoot, and its actually pretty simple to load and unload after a little practice. Once in awhile a spent casing is a little tight coming out of the chamber but no real problems. Speeding the hammer up and narrowing the firing pin did the trick too, no light strikes anymore.

I haven't looked too much at scope bases yet. If I can find a tapered base cheap enough I will probably buy it but at the moment I'm leaning towards grinding a shim. That will probably be my cheapest option, and I won't have ny re-finishing to do if I don't modify the rifle itself.

~Stick/MIG~
05-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Matt,

WOW!!... It looks nice!!!.... You did a great job!! ;)

I like everything about it!, and the extra detail is nice too!! :D

Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Alphawolf45
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
I know its a heap of work to build an entire gun..Big thumbs up for finishing it.

LW Hiway
11-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Rifle is definitely fun to shootAlrightythen! Matt, it's been about a year and a half now and I'd like to know if you have any updates to your rifle? :)

digr
11-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Yup thats a piece of fine craftsmanship and all by hand! I couldn't do work like that if I had to. Nice job

Matt Shade
11-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Well I made a tapered scope base as discussed earlier. Ground .040" taper into a piece of 3/16" flat stock and have it under the weaver base. That got my scope adjustment into useable range, and other than that I've just been shooting it.
My girlfriend can blow up gatorade bottles at 50 yards all day long with it. Its a fun gun to shoot, sits nice and steady on the rail of a truck bed or a hasty rest on your knee, and has a hell of a lot more smack than a .22LR. I've let several new shooters try it out and everybody seems to think its a blast.I've dispatched a couple varmints with it and I have to say that a 30gr V max at 2200fps is pretty devastating.

I think I have about 150 rounds through it now. There's no sign of anything loosening up and accuracy is staying the same so I think she's a keeper as is. I have too much on my plate right now, but I really want to build another one in .17hmr one of these days :cool:

LW Hiway
11-25-2012, 09:29 AM
I think she's a keeper as isThanks for the update Matt. I can sure understand being busy as well.

Will be looking foreword to your next build.

thanks

engineman56
11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Matt, I was just telling a guy about this build the other day. He was talking about doing one. I told him about you building this one. He thought it was cool.
I would like to try it sometime too.

Kevin

Matt Shade
11-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm still waiting to see some of your shooters on here LW :D

Engineman
I think you should give it a try, you're definitely good at engineering things as you go, which is exactly how mine came together :cool:

LW Hiway
11-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm still waiting to see some of your shooters on here LW With regrets and as all of my air rifle work is heavily into the R&D side of things, I'm always hesitant to show any of the work. I keep thinking that some of these things will be worth something once all of the bugs are worked out.;)

I will however show any and all work done on cartridge or BP gun work that's coming up for sure.

engineman56
11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Matt, Cav told me ths same thing. I'm just really hesitant in doing something like this because my lathes, mills and Drill presses are so old. My old equipment is just that old. I have made some really cool things with my old equipment but I just don't think I'm a good enough machinist to make a gun.

I have learned a lot from this build. I was watching Cavs build too. Its just me trying to learn something. I am no machinist but I do ok repairing things. I just don't know how I will do with something like this. I really want to try it tho. If I do it I will put it on here so everyone can see it.

Thanks maybe sometimes I just need a little push to get started. LOL

Kevin

Matt Shade
11-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Well I don't have a lathe, mill, or bandsaw and I made that rifle with a 12" delta drill press! I don't know what I would do without my belt grinder though :D
You know your tools and what you can do with them, and you're used to working around those conditions and getting done what you need to, thats all it takes. I designed my own action for the rifle because I thought I could make it that way and I knew I'd have a lot of problems following the original plans from the book.

J bar J
11-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Nice build Matt.