PDA

View Full Version : mounting a 3-hole bench vise...

hikerguy
08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
I just bought a bench vise that is mounted/secured in only 3 spots. So, I can either mount it with two holes in front and one in back (which would be located exactly in the middle of the vise), or put the two holes in back, with the one single hole directly in the center (basically, it would be directly over the threads of the vise).

Is there any advantage one way or the other? Part of me is saying mount it with the two holes in front, since that's where most of the pounding will occur. The two holes on either side of the vise will distribute the force better.

Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks

GWIZ
08-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the site.

Good question, since I like to jump on the front of the vise (bending things) I would think two in the back may be better.

H80N
08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Hikerguy
Welcome.....

Could you snap a pic and post so we can see what the mount looks like... if we travel only on our assumptions.... we may only be helping you destroy the mount.... PIC is worth a thousand words...
Thanks
Heiti

hikerguy
08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll get a pic posted tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Andy

USMCPOP
08-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Not mounting it on a corner?

getatorch
08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
If at all possible I would try to use all 3 holes so as to not tweak or overload a mountig hole or tab. That's when it will break one due to not being bolted down good and flat and even. Not using all holes puts a lot more awkward load on the ones used.:) Oh Yea! Welcome.:)

hikerguy
08-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Guess I wasn't too clear. I do plan on using all three holes. Just wanting feedback on whether to put the single hole in front or back. The pic I'll post tomorrow will make it clearer what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Andy

TriHonu
08-31-2010, 08:31 PM
No matter what you decide make sure the fixed (rear) jaw is even with the edge of the work bench or slightly beyond the edge of the bench.

If you don't, you can't hold long parts vertically with out them being at an angle as they pass between the jaws.

On my large vise I had to place two legs at the front edge. Mounting a swivel base vise at the corner of the bench gives you more options.

hikerguy
09-01-2010, 06:30 AM
TriHonu, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Here are a couple of pics that will hopefully explain my question. This is no-name vise I picked up for $20. I don't plan on doing anything major with it, so will I be OK with a vise this size, or am I better off spending a couple hundred bucks on a good vise (Wilton, Reed, or some other American-made vise)?

Thanks,

Andy

Lu47Dan
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Andy, use the vise you have, it might not last as long as an American made vise but if you remember not to overload it, it should work alright until you can find a better one.
I mount the two tabs forward and one hole to the rear. My bench vise is mounted to an auxiliary table that is inserted into a receiver under the bench top.
Dan.

Jim-TX
09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
The old fixed base vise that I recently bought has 3 holes. 2 are in the front and one is in the rear under the screw. That's how I would mount a swivel vise with 3 holes.

moe1942
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Two front one rear. Enables you to get it a tad closer to the front edge.

USMCPOP
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
That base has an odd bolt pattern compared to other vises I've seen. Many are like there should be 4 equally spaced mounting points but one is missing. If you mount it on the corner of a bench, the very corner is where there is no bolt.

DrBob
09-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I recently bought a new (bigger) vise and THOUGHT I had the same choice. Fortunately before I drilled any holes in the bench, I checked the rotation of the vise. It turned out that if I didn't mount it with the third hole in the back I couldn't turn the vise so that it was 90 dgs to the left (I was mounting it in the left front corner of the bench). Many vises allow 360 dg rotation and that's not a problem but DO CHECK. :)

Welcome to SFT

DrBob

midmosandblasting
09-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Welcome Hiker. Pictures are covered in FAQ .. Have fun .
Be sure to check out these special sections of our site that you might not be aware of:

1. Product/Equipment Review Index (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13355)

2. Website Equipment, Supplier and OEM Index (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13811)

3. Project and Equipment Index (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6969)

4. Tricks and Tips (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9699)

We look forward to adding your projects, tips or product reviews to these indexes in the near future. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

moe1942
09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
That base has an odd bolt pattern compared to other vises I've seen. Many are like there should be 4 equally spaced mounting points but one is missing. If you mount it on the corner of a bench, the very corner is where there is no bolt.

I never saw a vise with four mounting holes..

hikerguy
09-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I recently bought a new (bigger) vise and THOUGHT I had the same choice. Fortunately before I drilled any holes in the bench, I checked the rotation of the vise. It turned out that if I didn't mount it with the third hole in the back I couldn't turn the vise so that it was 90 dgs to the left (I was mounting it in the left front corner of the bench). Many vises allow 360 dg rotation and that's not a problem but DO CHECK. :)

Welcome to SFT

DrBob

Good advice DrBob. Hadn't thought of that either. I'm impressed with all the feedback and good advice/tips. Glad I stumbled upon this forum!

Andy

cutter
09-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Glad I stumbled upon this forum!

Andy

Well Andy, I'm glad you did too but you might be interested to know that you came close to not passing through the gate. :)
We have been under a rather large spammer attack since February of this year; so far there've been over 19,000 attempted registrations just in the last 6 months.
One of the key characteristics of both bots & human spammers is they are dismissive of the profile information on the registration form. That's the main reason you were asked to fill in those 4 lines.

Also, we're just naturally kind of nosey & like to know where you're coming from. :p

It would be nice if you would edit your profile & attend to those details. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jim-TX
12-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I never saw a vise with four mounting holes..

I know that this is an old thread, but you guys are still around. Here is a pic of my vise with 4 holes. BTW, I got this at a pawn shop years ago and didn't pay Snap On's price. :rolleyes:

terry lingle
12-12-2010, 05:41 PM
The third hole is meant to go to the back. The two bolts at the front are stronger when you are pulling on the handle.

When you mount a vice close the jaws on a short length of flat bar on each side Just long enough to extend past the edge of the bench. set the vice so there is a little clearance between the edge of the bench and the flat bars. This ensures that you get maximum usability out of your vice.