PDA

View Full Version : Anybody make a mitre stand for a portable band saw?

Greenbuggy
08-10-2009, 04:08 PM
I feel as though I cannot make a straight, well marked cut with my dewalt DW28770K if it has any degree of angle to it. I realize that the portable band saws are mostly for just straight non-critical cuts but would really like to be able to cut angles with some degree of precision.

Its occured to me that I can buy from a couple of retailers a plate that will allow me to turn the bandsaw into a vertical bandsaw, which I think would help me to make straighter cuts as it would eliminate one axis of play, but I've seen a couple of small portaband-style saws online like this one: http://www.directindustry.com/prod/mep/portable-band-saw-16872-140339.html and now I'm curious if anybody sells a mitre stand for the dewalt, or something that could be adapted reasonably easily? Lots of googling hasn't turned up anything so far. If not I think I'll be purchasing one of the vertical conversion plates like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270440759078

shoprat
08-10-2009, 04:21 PM
They make a simple device to make a milwaukee porta band into a small horizontal cut-off saw. Pretty simple to make your own. But, the porta-band is never going to be that good of a cut-off saw. A 14" abrasive cut-off saw is a better rig, except for the noise, sparks, and dust. mark

Bmac
08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
What blades are you using?

I use the portable Dewalt quite a bit. Fought the angled cuts at first. With a lil practice and the thicker 10/14 tooth blades it can be done.

Greenbuggy
08-13-2009, 08:50 PM
What blades are you using?

I use the portable Dewalt quite a bit. Fought the angled cuts at first. With a lil practice and the thicker 10/14 tooth blades it can be done.

I've been using a 3-pack of milwaukee blades IIRC 20 tooth.

I noticed that unlike my larger bandsaw the dewalt does not have a way to adjust the play between the bearings holding the blade straight. A part of me wonders if theres a difference in thickness between dewalt and milwaukee blades. Lately even my straight cuts don't even seem to be that straight and I'd like to figure out a better workaround than buying some expensive ellis...