PDA

View Full Version : Pickup scraper dump thingy

Bobthewelder
06-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I was trying to think of how(without shoveling) a PU bed full of yard debris out at the dump. HF has something, but no details. I was thinking a polypro scraper That hooked to a wench mounted on my hitch that would pull the load towards the tail gate? Granted I have the WW to deal with, but forming the poly around them would still leave little manual labor at the end. Have any of you cone up with sometthing like this(no I'm not making my truck a dump truck)? I have a bad back, more spinal shots Tuesday, so shoeling alot hurts ALOT.

TriHonu
06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
I purchased a LoadHandler (http://www.loadhandler.com/) a few years back. It works quite well. There is always a little hand work around the wheel wells.

I have used it with soil, sand, gravel, mulch and pallets with good success. I tried it with stumps, but the stumps got caught on the wheel wells and the sheet pulled out from under the stumps.

The price was reasonable. You could probably make a copy if you could find sheeting strong enough.

Gadgeteer
06-23-2009, 12:39 AM
A few years ago I made a long-handled rake to pull debris (grass, branches, etc.) from my small utility trailer, and I'm sure it would work the same to empty a pickup. It sure beats a pitchfork. Photos to follow when I get a chance.

LW Hiway
06-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Bob, now you have to look at this from a very simple very cheap 1950's type solutional viewpoint.

I can remember folk that had that type of debri to dump, without the use of a trailer that would tilt. They'd make a very light box of plywood the max width of what ever the truck bed was between the wheel wells.

The 4x8 ply(if indeed it would be that wide, had 8 to 10" on either side and the front end only just high enough to hold an old canvas tarp draped inside the bed laying over the plywood box. They just filled the box using the tarp as a liner to keep extra debrie from going past the sides of the box.

Now, here comes the simple thinking to dump.

They would take 3 or 4 pairs of old cheap roller skates and screw them to the bottom of the 4x8 ply. The box on skates was tied to not roll out of the bed on the way to the dump.

Once there, they'd back up to a spot to dump, untie the box, and slightly jerk forward to just allow the skate box to roll back and just tilt down and hit the ground on that end. They pull a tad more forward, then using a rake etc to finish emptying the box. If the box is just long enough, backing up may just be enough to turn the box over, making it dump on it's own. Depending on how much weight your trash is, depends on how you'll tackle the emptying once it's slid off.

Roll the box and tarp back in the back, tie it down and off you go.

But with your back, you may still have need for at least another pair of arms to load it back up.

digger doug
06-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Or doo like the local roofers (low buck ones anyhow) do it.

BEFORE loading said truck, thow an old tire (or 2) in the bed
at the front, with a strong rope tied to it (or them), lay
rope (or chain) on bed leading out to tailgate.

Load truck, get to dump, open tailgate, hook chain or rope
to tree, loader, or buddies chevy (helps if you've got that
chevy/ford war going on) and drive.

chenry
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
open tail gate
reverse,
stop hard.
close tailgate
open beer

camdigger
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
If you use the load handler style unit couldn't you block out the pace ahead of the wheel wells with plywood, etc to keep them from filling with material?

digger doug
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
You doo realize this is a FABRICATION forum ?

And there is (right now) a poster in the for sale section
offering up nice and heavy hydraulic cylinders ?

Tap into the Power steering (per mother earth news plans),
and make that P.U. dump. No cranking at the dump,
no concerns of material outside of the wheel wells,
no if's it it will hadle the load or not.

Spending the day loading (by hand), then the trip to
the dump, and using the "magic lever" to unload
is one of the most satisfying things.

Cavalry
06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Tap into the Power steering (per mother earth news plans),
and make that P.U. dump.

Got a link? I have always wondered exactly what a PSP would put out. You certainly would need a much larger reservoir to do any sort of work.

Cavalry
06-24-2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1985-01-01/Leroys-Power-Steering-Dump-Bed.aspx

Bobthewelder
06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
If I had an old donor truck, maybe, but my F-250-SD Power Stroke, no way. I like the first idea of the batt thingy, I was thinking more of using a 12v wench on and extension to my hitch to pull a scraper like thingy. This heavy tarp like thing looks very cost effective so long as it is durable enough. I know hauling yard waste wull likely not damage it, but I may get into hauling as a side line as well. Econy is looking bleak, even here in my real world. Wifes Company cut OT, if she has to work in the lab on a weekend, they make her take time off during the week. Both of us went from 60+ hours to 40max. I know lot's of us are in the same type of situation, but I'm trying like He-double-toothpicks to get something going on the side to make up for the shortcomings. God-for-bid, I may end up having to sell my Garand to help finance this new venture. It is my most prized material possessions and pride and joy having a matching receiver, bolt and barrel SA 1942, re-arselaled and in almost perfect condition. Sure I could pick up another from CMP, but those are mixmasters, this is a gem with no import marks, and likely very little use since the re-arsenal job. Anyway, I'm rambling as usual.

JWS
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
As a kid with horse manure and only a pickup, tried the woven wire thing, chain link worked better, two layers worked best. Attach the chain link fence to the frame (thru the gap in tailgate and bed) and lay on the bed of the truck. Half fill then the next layer of chain link (it can get attached at the dump site when the tailgate is dropped. Need a short length of chain attached to the end of each fencing at the cab end. Pull up and attach a chain to something that won't move and pull forward pulling the fence and load off of the truck. Reason for two layers, less pull then do it again. A little sweeping out of the truck is needed, but by and large, 95% of the load is unloaded by the truck not you.

southonbeach
06-24-2009, 08:52 PM
the poly tarp thingy works well. I've used one a few times.
Just a thought, on the trailer you're gettin ready to build, why not make that a dumping trailer?

OldRedFord
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I really like the looks of the load handler, from a simplicity standpoint.

If I had the money (I sure have the time haha) I would seriously consider fabbing something like that up.

MikeD74T
06-26-2009, 09:11 PM
I used to use a sheet of plywood with 3 raised sides as described by LW Hiway. Put 3 or 4 broomsticks under it crossways of the bed. Tie off the box so it can only roll out far enough to tip down to the ground, about 4 1/2 or 5 feet. Back up smartly, hit the brakes, pull forward & put the box back in the truck. I was tree cutting with two other guys & we'd load the truck until it was barely visable with brush (couldn't afford a chipper or gas to feed one ) and empty the load in a couple of seconds. Because of the weight at the tipping point I took my tailgate off. DO NOT DRIVE AWAY WITHOUT SECURING THE LOAD !!! Reloading at a traffic light ain't all that cool. And remember to realign the broomsticks BEFORE reloading. MikeD74T

Bobthewelder
06-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys! The load puller looks the way to go, it is the same thing HF sells. The trailer will have a dump feature as well as a tail-gate/ramp. But who wants to have their clippings in the way of their equipment? I think the waste should go in the truck, and the equipment on the trailer, just my .02.

shoprat
06-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Modern standard pick-up boxes are pretty flimsy for a dumpbox. Several companies make dump box "inserts" that fit in a standard Pick-up box. Leo is a good design to copy. But, the full 12 volt hydraulic power pack, plus the cylinder, etc... is kindof spendy just for lawn clippings.

I built a simplified (cheap)one of these, many tears ago, for my sno-plow guy. It was simple 4' x 8' x 2' high pivoting angle iron frame, that was lined with plywood. It used the truck tailgate to keep the load in. A Hi-lift jack at the front provided the lift for dumping.

The plywood was painted and stuff slid out pretty good, later he added a sheet of steel on the bottom. The stationary part off the frame was bolted down to the bed. Just four 3/8" bolts and big washers.

The plan was to find a good deal on a small multi-stage cylinder and 12 volt pump, but he never did, he eventually bought a 1 ton dump truck, and converted the old dump box insert into a little trailer. mark