PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Mag Drill rehabilitation...

Greenbuggy
02-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Decided I wanted a mag drill a while ago, after looking briefly on ebayI discovered that I *Definitely* couldn't afford to "just buy one" so I found a clunker to fix up...

below are the pics of the mag drill base I just won on ebay for $39, and the mag/core drill motor I won to go with it for $129.50. I haven't received either yet but I've got a few questions for when they do get here..

the first being that the mag base claims to "not hold" when turned on. If it isn't a problem with the electric cord or switch, would an electric motor shop re-wind this electromagnet? Is it difficult to re-wind myself if I crack it open and discover a burnt section or no continuity?

Second being that the mag motor I won is a milwaukee4262-1, 120V, 350 RPM, 3/4" chuck. The pics on the ebay auction would indicate that the chuck is missing as I'm only seeing a keyed shaft. Would Milwaukee be the best place to get another chuck or are there other brands I should investigate?

Third, is it bad if I wanted to slow down the motor below 350 RPM for tapping? I'm worried with smaller taps that I might break them if the drill is spinning too fast. If so how should I go about slowing down the drill motor to avoid damaging it? I'm guessing there is some sort of more complex control than just a potentiometer.

Now, not to get too many questions in but the third picture is of a countersink tool I'd like to get as well. My question is this - it looks like a lot of mag drills have either a chuck or a Morse #3 taper. This shank looks completely different, but is the same as a lot of annular cutters made for a brand of mag drill "Hougen". What is this shank called?

Thanks for all the help. When I receive and start digging into these items I'll post more pics up

MAC702
02-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I've got a Milwaukee magdrill, too. My dad borrowed it on a big job and it burned up. So in a similar vein, to share the thread if I may, is it rebuildable? Do I just need to find a good motor and replace? Should I go through a Milwaukee dealer? My magbase still works perfectly. So if the motor is cost prohibitive, and since I don't really NEED one, I suppose my mag base would be available, too.

OLD MAN
02-06-2009, 01:14 AM
You guys need to work together on this.:)

platypus20
02-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Depend on the brand, the age of the mag drill, and the size (big or small) , the shank, according to the Jancy catalog, is either 3/4" straight (with flats for the locking set screws), MT#3, or a straight shank for use with a mag drill that has a standard Jacobs style chuck. Below is the link to the counter sink thread I posted a while back. I have 2 mag drills, a Dura-Bore 35 and a Jancy USA 5, which is much larger than the Dura-Bore

Jack

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15594

precisionworks
02-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Do you have the model number for the drill motor & base?

randydupree
02-06-2009, 09:43 AM
i don't know if this helps,but i have a milwaukee core drill thats missing the on/off switch,and its a 2 speed and one speed does not work,the shifter is acting weird.
it does run,and has a chuck on it.
the on/off switch is mounted in a box thats supposed to be in the cord,away from the machine.
its not free,but it is for sale!

Greenbuggy
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I've got a Milwaukee magdrill, too. My dad borrowed it on a big job and it burned up. So in a similar vein, to share the thread if I may, is it rebuildable? Do I just need to find a good motor and replace? Should I go through a Milwaukee dealer? My magbase still works perfectly. So if the motor is cost prohibitive, and since I don't really NEED one, I suppose my mag base would be available, too.

You'd have to talk to a motor rebuild shop, but my guess is that its rebuildable but probably expensive. I just saw another mag/core drill motor on ebay go for a little over $200, I feel pretty lucky getting mine for $129 + SH

Do you have the model number for the drill motor & base?

Motor is a 4262-1, base is 4200

Paychk
02-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Parts breakdown here:

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/milwaukee/4200_302-1705

Shows the magnet as obsolete item# 23

Better view here:

http://images.toolpartsdirect.com/schematics/milwaukee/4200_302-1705.big.pdf

Greenbuggy
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Parts breakdown here:

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/milwaukee/4200_302-1705

Shows the magnet as obsolete item# 23

Better view here:

http://images.toolpartsdirect.com/schematics/milwaukee/4200_302-1705.big.pdf

Yeah, I saw that. Haven't called milwaukee since I don't yet know that the electromagnet is the actual problem area but I was wondering about getting it re-wound in the event I am unable to locate a replacement electromagnet

Greenbuggy
03-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Finally picked up the mag base from the parents house & took a look at it. Seems as though the AC current goes into the unit, goes thru a bridge rectifier that turns it into DC power, then thru a dpdt switch and into the mag base for mag/demag operation.

Measuring resistance across the mag base I came up with about 30 ohms, measuring power output with the switch in either mag or demag positions gave me zero volts. Hmmm. Seems as though that bridge rectifier looks awful old and has some funny dimples on it too. Power goes in but not out. $7 on ebay yesterday got me a 4 pack of replacements. Providing power to the electromagnet with a 12v battery gave me a weak magnet grip so the electromagnet works! Once I get the new rectifier soldered in I just need to figure out an adapter plate to bolt the drill motor to the mag base, and a handle of some sort for the drill press portion...

OLD MAN
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
WE MUST HAVE PICTURES.

Greenbuggy
03-28-2009, 01:40 AM
Sorry about the lack of pics of my progress. Nothing too exciting about hooking up a couple probes and a multimeter, even if its my fancy $600 Snappy one that puts a lot of flukes to shame. Today, however I did actually make and photograph some progress. Got my package from the ebay seller of 4 new bridge rectifiers, desoldered the old one and soldered in the new one. Now if only I wasn't so lazy I'd run and install it on the mag base sitting in the shop at work. Tomorrow maybe some more pics to follow...

First pic: PCB with bad rectifier still attached. Note heat damage to PCB underneath
Second: On top of my powerbook next to new rectifier
Third: New rectifier closeup
Fourth: Old rectifier after removal. Plastic was like that using only mild force to remove it with heat on the pins
Fifth: Good as new!

Greenbuggy
03-29-2009, 01:41 AM
It works! Or, rather it holds steadily onto ferrous objects with the magnet.

Next projects in the ongoing saga:
- Get 3/4" chuck for drill motor
- Get some sort of plug to attach drill motor power cord to mag base
- A light for the mag operation would be nice, although not necessarily necessary. Hole in control panel looks ugly though...
- Need to make or buy some sort of adapter as the bolt holes on the mag base will not play nice with bolt holes on the newer drill motor
- a handle assy for the vertical travel

cutter
03-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Good for you, Gbuggy. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Now, do you notice that the old fellow who demanded pictures has had nothing to say about them? :D

OLD MAN
03-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Don't know that those innards are. Pictures or no.:)

RancherBill
03-29-2009, 07:30 AM
It works! Or, rather it holds steadily onto ferrous objects with the magnet.

Next projects in the ongoing saga:
- Get 3/4" chuck for drill motor
- Get some sort of plug to attach drill motor power cord to mag base
- A light for the mag operation would be nice, although not necessarily necessary. Hole in control panel looks ugly though...
- Need to make or buy some sort of adapter as the bolt holes on the mag base will not play nice with bolt holes on the newer drill motor
- a handle assy for the vertical travel

What kind of adapter plate is needed?
Can you post some of those things you get from a camera of the arbor/chuck (I don't want to get in the middle of Cutter and OM:evil:) I was curious about it.

Greenbuggy
03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
What kind of adapter plate is needed?
Can you post some of those things you get from a camera of the arbor/chuck (I don't want to get in the middle of Cutter and OM:evil:) I was curious about it.

It appears that on the newer mag drills there are bolts from the mag base side that thread on into the drill motor. On the older mag drills they thread into the base, as well the holes do not seem to line up width-wise so an adapter plate will be needed. Going to see a machinist friend tomorrow about getting one done.

For the second part - I posted pics in this thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19267

I've since knocked off that adapter, looks like a #3 Jacobs Taper with a posi-slot on the drill motor. Found a chuck on ebay hoping to win that auction in another day or two.

On another note - I found this while perusing ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Drill-Press-Accessory-for-magnetic-drill_W0QQitemZ160324558644QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_T ool_Work_Holding?hash=item160324558644&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50

Not that I need another project but sure looks like a cool thing to build when I get the extra time to do that

cutter
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
There's something odd about that ebay link.
Try this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=160324558644).

Is that what you meant?

Greenbuggy
03-30-2009, 12:20 AM
There's something odd about that ebay link.
Try this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=160324558644).

Is that what you meant?

Yeah, thanks. Didn't proof my post and normally the forum automatically makes an url into a link, whoops.

Greenbuggy
03-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Small update - took the "slide housing" as Milwaukee calls it off of the mag base and the drill motor to Howe welding & fab to have an adapter plate machined for me. Right now its looking like a couple countersunk bolts and some 1/2" aluminum block will do the trick. Here's hoping I get it soon.

cutter
03-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Good luck, Buggy. I'm looking forward to seeing it operate. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Greenbuggy
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Finally got my adapter back from the machine shop. Here's some pics of the mag base, adapter, drill motor and my ebay jacobs chuck. Haven't gotten a hub/handles on it yet but I'll be making a call to milwaukee soon as I get paid to get those parts.

LW Hiway
05-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Lookin good G'B'.

chenry
05-29-2009, 12:45 PM
nice thing about those is you can flip the motor back and forth to get into tight spots and whatnot

Greenbuggy
06-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Hmm, problems.

Still haven't gotten a handle for this thing yet, but wanted to use it the other day, clamped it to the workpiece (err, turned electromagnet "on") it hung on for a few seconds then "POP" and the bridge rectifier is now dead again.

Did I not buy a big enough rectifier to handle the load?
Wondering if the resistor in line with the electromagnet may have gone bad?

Now looking at a bridge rectifier on ebay that has a metal case, rated 1000V/35A and another rated 1000/60A, both around $10-15 ea but I don't want to spend that money if its just going to blow up again. Hmmm, thoughts?

GWIZ
06-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Post a good picture of the top and bottom of the circuit board.

cutter
06-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Buggy, I wish I could help 'cause I'd like to see you get that thing working. :)