PDA

View Full Version : Welding in the rain?

david_r
01-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I know the standard answer -- don't do it. However, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Any tips on this? I was welding in the rain today on the roof of a tank converted to a tool shed. Outside was alright as I was in the air on a pallet and didn't feel anything. I had to go inside and finish up. My feet were wet, my pants were wet, my gloves were a little damp. I could feel the tingle everytime I changed a rod.

trackwelder
01-07-2005, 09:17 PM
I weld in the rain only under an umbrella. I keep several pairs of gloves in the truck and swap out to dry ones at the first tingle. My zaps usually occur when changing rods also. I never weld in bad conditions without having somebody ready to shut it down.

01-07-2005, 09:18 PM
I've had to do that a time or 2 lay the rod down then get it with the stinger!!,I try not to do it but like you say sometimes.Once iI had to get in the celler on a oil rig arm pit deep in the water with a Linclon pipe liner I just layed the rod on the ground.But I was younger then I wouldn't do that again!!! :eek:

Franz
01-07-2005, 11:29 PM
There really isn't a safe way to do it, but when you have to, a pair of nitrel gloves under your leather gloves will give you some protection, and wearing rubber boots that don't leak also helps a lot.
Laying the rods on a board or other insulator also helps some.
I've known guys to drill holes. like a drill index, into a board to hold the rods so they could be grabbed with the stinger, and that works well.
The best thing is to have a helper who switches the machine connection to the stinger on and off while you change rods. It still ain't exactly OSHA safe, but it's probably as close as you'll get.

DDA52
01-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I'll go with Franz on the gloves. I didn;t have any nitrile at the time , but I did have several pairs of surgical gloves. They worked very well. That day, I too was getting zapped at rod change. The worst was when I was holding onto what I was welding, without a surgical glove BTW. It was after lunch and I ripped my last pair putting them on. When the arc struck and the machine hit full rpm's, it knocked me off a six foot scaffold backwards. :eek: Hurt like a sonofagun, too. My hand was frozen in a kinda "claw" pose for several hours. I'm probably very lucky to be breathing still. That ended the rod burnin' that day untill fresh gloves arrived.......Haven't even attempted to do that since. Not long after that I went out on my own. :cool:

wroughtn_harv
01-10-2005, 02:50 PM
There's a thread on this over at tractorbynet.com.

I think it's much ado about nothing.

Now I don't go out and look for a rain storm to do my welding. I also don't set posts in the rain if I don't have to and I don't work out of my truck in the rain unless I have to. It's not about the shock. It's about getting wet.

But the biggest reason I don't weld in the rain is because you can't see squat with your lense wet. I know we're supposed to be welding more by sound than by sight but chasing six puddles with one rod can be frustrating.

I have a custom leather rodholder. I do a lot of fence building. Most of it involves galvanized pipe and horse fabric like V Mesh or Non Climb. So I never, well, hardly ever allow a rod end to hit the ground. If it does it's picked up and then placed into the rod holder with the rest of the rod ends. When it's time to refill the rod holder I empty all the rod ends into a post and start all over again. Livestock can die from a disease called "hardward disease". Rod ends are heck on the digestive tract of a cow or horse. Of course with the cow they shove a magnet down her gullet and pick up the rod ends out of the manure later. For me it's a lot easier and less crappy to do not let them become a problem up front.

That to say this. On that rod holder is a pair of slip joint pliers, go through about three pair a year. When it's wet I use the slip joints to hold the rod while changing them out.

The tingle is get your heart going. It helps you know you're alive and not something like a framing carpenter. The only way they can get that tingle is to cut their saw cord. Which they do about as often as they cut themselves.

And they call welding dangerous. :D

Cowboy up and hold on tight. Like the old sailor once said, "it'll straighten out a bent," well, he was a sailor so he talked dirtier than weldors do.

Pile Buck
12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Cowboy up and hold on tight.
That’s a fact Jack! Up here if we didn’t weld in the rain nothing would ever get built ;)

david_r
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Sheesh Carl, must be a real turd floater going on up north for you to drag up a year old thread. And reply to a guy that got chased off rather quickly for his political views no less.

Pile Buck
12-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Sheesh Carl, must be a real turd floater going on up north for you to drag up a year old thread.
No we got 2 or 3-inches of that white crap on the ground, anyway I’m always in the house by noon, health reasons :mad:

Jake
12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
It is still attempting to come down here... only have about an inch though... stay safe Pile...

houlibar
12-02-2005, 01:06 PM
It's raining here this morning and I was thinking 'boo hoo I can't weld out in the plant.' Then I thought of you guys in the north coast. :cool:

Diverbill45
12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Hey Scott, .............. We're into our 3rd week of rain and it just keeps coming. Looks like it's going to be another long, wet, and cold winter. :mad: Where I live, in the valley along the I-5 corridor, it usually rains all winter, but it looks like we're in for some snow, real soon.

When you get up in Carls area, (about 250 miles north), it really get nasty. I feel for ya Carl. :eek:

Pile Buck
12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Ah it’s not so bad :rolleyes: , after 28-years I’m kind of use to it :rolleyes: . About the only thing I don’t do in the rain is paint. No big deal I couldn’t paint worth a sheet in a $100,000.00 paint booth :eek: . I still remember when I welded for a living; it’s extremely aggravating when you have so much water in your lens you can’t tell which puddle is the correct one! Far as getting shocked, well there’s ways around that. :cool:

LW Hiway
12-02-2005, 07:10 PM
What, you northern dudes don't have the little clip on umbrellas for your stinger? :p I use the ones that come with the fancy drinks at Hooters. If they stay wet, they won't burn up so quick. ;)

LW

Pile Buck
12-02-2005, 08:03 PM
On the big jobs sometimes they will have a fab yard. Once in a great while I would get stuck in one of these yards :( , you could spend all day setting on a beam welding gussets or what ever, anyway seems like you always had your head down along with your azz up most of the time. I just hated having the water run down my neck :mad: . I would end up wet all the way to my azz, and even have my chest wet. Now this is with a raincoat on. So I would tape a piece of black visqueen to the back of my hard hat. Guys would tease me that I looked like an Arab. Well at least it worked ;)

b-footn
12-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Welding in the rain? Never heard of such preposterousnous. :rolleyes:

Getting the piss knocked out of you while changing rods is a common occurence for me in the rain, or standing in a creek/ditch, trying to weld some damn pipe. :cool:

What really knocks the piss out of you, is if it is muggy, damp, raining, and they haven't turned the rectifier off when you are trying to weld a tap on the main. :eek:

Jeff
12-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Getting the piss knocked out of you while changing rods is a common occurence for me in the rain, or standing in a creek/ditch, trying to weld some damn pipe.
Common occurance with Millers :D :D

b-footn
12-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Common occurance with Millers :D :D

Ok wise-azz, bring the red machine on and we'll stand toe to toe in some water, and see who bugs out first :D (I get to hold the remote :D )

texrednek
12-02-2005, 10:46 PM
My bro-law and I were workin in the Okanagan of BC and it gets quite hot, almost as hot as here in Tex. Well I had just a t-shirt on, he was doing the welding. Sweat pourin off my arms and holes in my gloves. Well he said something stupid and I hit him with a perfect comeback. His respnse to nail me with the stinger...well rod in stinger. Off some old lincolln lookin thing...not lincoln though....and witha 5/32 rod it damn near knocked me off my rocker. I bounced around a min, and he found himself apologizin like mad. Guess we kinda ended in a truse
CHRIS

Jeff
12-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Ok wise-azz, bring the red machine on and we'll stand toe to toe in some water, and see who bugs out first :D (I get to hold the remote :D )

:D I'm sorry but I just had to do it :D
Have a good weekend

mometal77
12-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Well how to explain this one.. When started working pipeline for the fitters my welder was from texas. He has never worked in washington state before had been all over though to any other state. With a piece of 27 inch pipe in the air for an excavator we where repairing manomilies in the pipe. He said it was the first time in his life he had ever seen a stream come down a pipe like that so we had to cap one end of it with a cover. With this pipe on how and where to do cut outs they use a sonar tube goes through the pipe and they check out the density of the pipe i was told. Either with water or hydrogen which can get expensive. With rubber boots and a big grinder in my hands i did get shocked a few times could actually feel the electricity. What i thought was neat is with the pig/sonar going through the pipe which tests the line there comes static electricity in the line and you have to wrap negative and positive coils on both sides of the pipe to make it so you can weld on the pipe. I dont know how else to explain it. Just some advice i wore rubber gloves too. Bad situation up to a foot of mud and rain gear and a face shield i couldnt see out of trying picking up a few hundred feet of welding cable with mud on it and keeping your welding rod dry for your welder and hearing them complain is quite a challenge..
bobby

Shade Tree Welder
12-03-2005, 08:10 AM
...I never weld in bad conditions without having somebody ready to shut it down.

That is some good advise. The worst for me was having to reweld some missing deck railing on the forecastle underway, salt water spray just adds that extra degree of difficulty, I am sure we have a Pile Buck around here that knows just what I am taking about. :eek:

Shade Tree Welder
12-03-2005, 08:12 AM
What it heck are......manomilies...????

And that is meant as a serious question.

Tom Zachman
12-03-2005, 08:16 AM
I think the first 'm' is unintentional, strange and unexplained. :D

b-footn
12-03-2005, 08:38 AM
I think he meant nitrogen, instead of hydrogen. :eek:

b-footn
12-03-2005, 08:45 AM
:D I'm sorry but I just had to do it :D
Have a good weekend

There is a little trick that you can do in damp conditions. I've done this unintentionally. Someone is holding the pipe, or fitting, and your ground is on the opposite pipe from your helper. If you strike arc in damp conditions on the pipe or fitting that your helper is on, instead of the grounded pipe, your helper will get the full force of the amps.

Pile Buck
12-03-2005, 09:16 AM
I think the funniest one I ever heard about. I was on the job, but didn’t see it. New hires first day, and he forgot his rain gear :eek: . It had been raining basically none stop for weeks, so we were stomping around shin deep in mud all the time. This new hire and a buddy of mine had to move one of those little Bob Cat looking welders. It was a 3-man job to push pull it through all the mud, but two strong men could barely do it. Well being in a big hurry, and most likely the welder wouldn’t have re-started if they would have shut it down anyway, but they didn’t. The new guy grabs the handlebars, which have the welding leads wrapped around them. Well being soaking wet, and for some reason he grabs the stinger in one hand and the ground clamp in the other (I think he was a carpenter type) :rolleyes: . According to my buddy this guy just stood there and shook / convulsed violently :eek: . No one was smart enough to shut the machine down, they just watched; hey I said it probably wouldn’t re-start didn’t I :D . Eventually this guy fell over in the mud, and let go of the leads. Pile bucks being the sympathetic group they are, they just let him lay there in the mud, and someone else helped move the welder.

b-footn
12-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I think the funniest one I ever heard about. I was on the job, but didn’t see it. New hires first day, and he forgot his rain gear :eek: . It had been raining basically none stop for weeks, so we were stomping around shin deep in mud all the time. This new hire and a buddy of mine had to move one of those little Bob Cat looking welders. It was a 3-man job to push pull it through all the mud, but two strong men could barely do it. Well being in a big hurry, and most likely the welder wouldn’t have re-started if they would have shut it down anyway, but they didn’t. The new guy grabs the handlebars, which have the welding leads wrapped around them. Well being soaking wet, and for some reason he grabs the stinger in one hand and the ground clamp in the other (I think he was a carpenter type) :rolleyes: . According to my buddy this guy just stood there and shook / convulsed violently :eek: . No one was smart enough to shut the machine down, they just watched; hey I said it probably wouldn’t re-start didn’t I . Eventually this guy fell over in the mud, and let go of the leads. Pile bucks being the sympathetic group they are, they just let him lay there in the mud, and someone else helped move the welder.

Damn, I don't guess he helped y'all with a welder any more either :eek:

Pile Buck
12-03-2005, 09:29 AM
You know Chris, I think this was something like 1979, so I really can’t remember all the facts, but I think he quit :D

b-footn
12-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I think the funniest thing I saw on the job was a laborer priming and taping one of my welds. He layed the primer bucket down on the right of way that I was driving on, and I needed to back the rig up to get out of the equipments way. This guy had blonde hair, and I didn't see the primer bucket, and he was in the ditch wrapping a weld. My rear tire clipped the bucket, and the black primer sprayed toward the ditch where he was at. As I was passing him, he was cussing big time, and I just busted a gut laughing, but I didn't stop backing up. His face and hair were solid black. :eek:

theonlybull
12-04-2005, 11:21 AM
workin on some damns in wet weather can be an enjoyable experiance.... espically when there's 6" of water where your alum. ladder is healed. and the water is runnin down the sides of the cement........

Sberry
12-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Bull,,, I guess if it was easy they would have women and children doin it.

theonlybull
12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
very true S sometimes it don't pay to think about it. just do it. ;)

damn work was nice though, engineer was afraid to go down in the hole.... made life alot easier