PDA

View Full Version : Wizard tools

ace4059
12-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Ever heard of WIZARD tools? I got a pair a few weeks ago of Wizard Lok-Grip M 1208. They look kinda like a pair of vise grips but older. There is no other marking on here about them and a search on the net did not reveal anything. I was wondering if these were a good brand and where they are made. I just didnt know if they were a US brand or some china knock off, of the vise grip. Where ever they were made at, they seem to be okay.

jhill
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I have a pair of those also. My grandad bought them at the Gambles store in the 60's.

Jerry

dubby
12-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I had some of those as well, up until recently. They have been in dad's box as long as I can remember. Since they weren't vice-grip brand, they never walked off and they began to show their age pretty badly. The wear point between the adjustment screw and lever finally rounded off to the point that they wouldn't lock anymore.

SMTatham
12-20-2008, 12:01 PM
I think those were sold by "Western Auto" stores as their house brand........not sure when they went out; havn't seen a Western Auto for years.

OLD MAN
12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I still have two socket sets I bought at Western Auto. One is near new, it is 1/2" drive and is all 8pt sockets for square nuts, goes to 1 1/4". The other is reg socket set and all the drive I have is a breakover handle and speed wrench, I am also short 1/2" and 9/16" sockets. Came in a doghouse tool box that is still good. Gotta be 50 years old.:)

Harvuskong
12-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I think those were sold by "Western Auto" stores as their house brand........not sure when they went out; havn't seen a Western Auto for years.

Yes, Western Auto used WIZARD as their house brand of tools. I still have a few WIZARD 1/2 drive sockets.

Western Auto, I think, became part of Sears over ten years ago.

Western Auto no longer exists as far as I know in Texas.

Hmm, I should have used the Google search engine first.

There seems to be a large amount of history about Western Auto on the Web including the locations of some of the final remaining stores using the name.

Dr Jim Marchman has written a book entitled The Last Western Flyer: The Western Auto Century, which gives an accurate history of the company with the loyalty of a son who grew up in a dealer/associate store.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Auto"

The Western Auto name is still used in Puerto Rico, where it is the largest such chain, even though the Western Auto name is being phased out store by store into Advance stores

http://www.westernautoandhome.com/

We Are...
Your Online General Store
Since 1954 we have delivered quality and service in Home, Automotive, and Outdoor Products at the best possible price. In the modern day we extend that same service & quality to you via the Internet at even better prices!

Located in the Birmingham, Alabama area, Western Auto & Home Associates is the product of a continually evolving world of commerce. We were founded in 1954 in Goodwater, Alabama as a small town store affiliated with a growing nationwide franchising chain. The business was thriving shortly before the onset of Wal-Mart in small communities. The 1980s were trying times as many small town stores closed as Wal-Mart began to strangle Small Town America's commerce. The company that we were affiliated with dwindled from over 5,000 stores to around 400.

In 2001, we scaled back our physical storefront and became a strong presence in E-Commerce, initially on eBay, but now stretching into other venues including this "anchor e-store".

We bring small town American values to the E-Commerce world as we have loyal customers all across America - and around the world. Most of our worldwide clients keep in touch by sending email updates. With us, it is not just a transaction, but us serving you as a neighbor - just like small town America.

http://www.westernautoonline.com/index.htm

Western Auto
1523 Pottstown Avenue (Route 663)
Pennsburg, PA 18073
215-679-2089

Western Auto Store
300 Granado St
Tularosa, NM 88352

Nice picture in the link below:

http://www.automotive-art.com/product.asp?id=KE0006

Paychk
12-20-2008, 01:27 PM
A little history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Auto

OLD MAN
12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I also had a "Western Flyer". Christmas present in '52..:D

platypus20
12-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Just after dinosaurs walked the earth, and I was a young lad, our bikes were Western Flyers, so were our sleds and wagons. My brother first managed and later owned the Wester Auto, in Camden, NY. Almost everything in the house came from Western Auto, TVs, sporting goods, car parts, furniture, tools, and boots, everything but clothes. I still have Wizard sockets and wrenches, as I bought out the stores' tool section when he closed it.

Jack

lars66
12-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Still have my Western Auto 14" pipe wrench with Western Auto stamped in the handle I bought about 50 years ago. The pipe wrench went missing for about 10 years when an employee left it under the hyd. tank above the 5th wheel plate on a dump trailer. When the trailer come to the shop with a leaky hyd. tank again I looked down when i was removing the tank and there was the pipe wrench laying in a pool of oil well preserved.

4x4ford
12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
i have several wizard brand tools they seem to be decent quality and hold up pretty well to my abuse

engineman56
12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Theres still a Western Auto In Orrville Ohio. I Bought Briggs & Stratten Parts there Theyre the biggest supplier or small engine parts around here.And I have a western Auto Boat moter in the Messy shop somewhere. Kevin

randydupree
12-23-2008, 09:20 AM
when i was a kid we all laughed at wizard tools,we called them junk!
i guess looking at the chinese tools today they were not all that bad after all.
i bet none of the chink tools today will be around in 50 years.

ace4059
12-23-2008, 09:08 PM
But does anyone know where Wizard tools were made?
I dont think it would be made in the USA if it was just a store brand name, but could it be made in Japan. Did they have Chinese tools like this 50+ years ago?

OLD MAN
12-23-2008, 09:22 PM
My socket sets were USA and very good quality. Western Auto was in competion with White's Auto and they sold S&K.:)