PDA

View Full Version : Older Craftsman Stick Welder

MrRodeoCC
02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Anyone ever use one of these older stick welders? Just got up and saw this.
http://columbia.craigslist.org/tls/576908450.html doing research on it now. Is it worth messing with?

Harvuskong
02-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Location of the item in question is the same state where you are.

I suggest if it is within reasonable driving distance, to test it your self.

I have a Craftsman 180 AMP AC crackerbox myself. It is labeled to be a Colormatic.

It has it's limits of course, but it has been very useful.

It does not look like the one is the picture. Mine has the rotating infinite amp control on the top and A and B taps for the stinger cable on the front.

MrRodeoCC
02-17-2008, 02:19 PM
I havent matched it to anything yet, I'm sure its a rebadged unit as all of Craftsman Tools are. I've done 2 or 3 different google searches and sifted through 15 pages per search to find nothing. No response from the craglist seller either. I'd love a Lincoln ac/dc unit but sofar I havent found one close and within my tinkertoy price range.

cutter
02-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Rodeo, I don't even own a stick welder but if it works, it's certainly worth $75 to someone who wants an ac only stick welder.
My little trailer and log splitter were both built with an old Lincoln ac tombstone; in the hands of someone who's skilled with them, they do a fine job.
I am suspecting that Sears is a Century or Dayton, rather similar to the mig you list in your sig line.

edit: here is a crappy picture of a Century machine I found in a Craigslist ad.

Harvuskong
02-17-2008, 02:53 PM
I have seen and found a lot of good stuff at farm auctions.

Sears welders like mine for $25 to 35 dollars.

Lincoln Welders of various types from $100 on up depending on AC to DC machines.

I bought my Lincoln MK250DC welder at an farm auction and have seen Lincoln Idealarc machines listed at several. Of course, there have been plenty of Miller machines out there too.

Wyoming
02-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Dunno, looks more like a Montgomery Wards unit to me...

Dave Lee
02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Well, I have some limited information for ya' Rodeo. I have a few old Craftsman tool catalogs in my collection. There is a welder that looks exactly like that one in the 1969 catalog, as far as the front panel and "handle bars". The difference is that, the one in the catalog is a 230 amp machine and has a spot-welding feature, built into the top of the cabinet. It sold for $199.95

Oh yeah, on the opposite page is the "Colormatic". I have one of those, that I paid $75 for, from a co-worker, back around, 1982. I also have a little newer model, that I bought brand new, on closeout in 1975 for $99.00. They are both 230amp machines. the difference is, that the "Colormatic"is infinitely variable in amps, while the other one has set notches for amps. Hey, they work, what more can I ask for?

Dave

MrRodeoCC
02-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Cool, thats more information than I have. The guy did call and left a voice mail. Hopefully I can get more tomorrow. Thanks

TommyA
02-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Thats a great price for a welder but I believe that you would appreciate one with DC mode for starting off. Even at twice that price it would be well worth it and would be less aggravation during the learning process IMHO. I tried learning with AC even though I had DC capabilities but after changing over I got the basics down. Now I can use either with better results. You may not have as much trouble learning with AC than I so its up to you.:)

Fla Jim
02-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Back in the "Dark ages" when I was in my early teens, I learned to weld on a neighbors tombstone.
While I was in the Navy, I believe around 1970 I bought one on the Craftsman Colormatic machines. I used it for a lot of years. It made a couple trips accross country when I was transfered. It finally ended up in Florida when I retired in 1983. even welded sheet metal with 1/16" 6013. Finally I sold it and bought the Syncrowave 180.
Burned a lot of rod on that machine.